Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Hueston Woods Options
kenbowski
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 3:28:24 PM

BTBAM wrote:
Preliminary new couse map until I hear the okay from Hank. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4851522750_c8423120bc_b.jpg

I like it!  It think it turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to when we were getting the GPS points!
kenbowski
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 2:35:05 PM

They've been doing a lot of work at this course. They have cleared out the fairway quite a bit on the first 7 holes and on the current hole 18. I was out there yesterday around 3:00pm yesterday and they were still working on it. I think this course has potential to become a really great course!
drx49er
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:38:26 PM

Got out Friday and was able to finally play this course. The cleared holes are good. The back nine is a good layout and once it's cleared will be great. A lot of potential for this course. Make a day of it and play the Miami campus course as well. Both in one day would make for a good tournament.
Erik
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 10:43:16 AM

We were planning on playing this course in leagues. Are the rear 9 not playable at all?
cyrusf1
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 2:02:01 PM

All holes are playable. There are one or 2 long tees (B) that are still pretty hairy. Otherwise, the course is 95 % cleared
greenhills
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:43:55 AM

Anyone play Hueston Woods lately? Is this course fully marked and easy enough to follow?
GIES2525
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:35:56 AM

Yes and yes! Hank has still been putting in a lot of hours at this course, and it has definitely shown! The fairways are really cut out now on most the holes, and it is a very fun course to play! Just bring a map if you have never been out there, they do have signs pointing you to the next tee, but it can be hard to navigate to a couple of the holes.
kenbowski
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:33:03 PM

I live pretty close to that course, so I go out there fairly often. The from 7 holes are a lot of fun, but the back 11 are a little different. The back 11 are okay, but by the time you get done playing it, you are ready for a different change of scenery. Last time I played I played the front 7 from one set of tee's, and played the same holes again from the alternate tee's. Last time I talked to Hank, he said that there are another 9 holes being worked on that not many people know where they are. Hopefully by the end of summer he'll has all 27 holes up.
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:30:11 PM

I went up there this past weekend to see how things looked on the side with 8-18 and it did look a lot better and very playable, they have added a lot of markers pointing to the alternate tees and such so that helps. I found every hole on that side and I didn't have a map. The negatives are still lacking tee signs, some tees are rough and I the mixture of numbers, some mentions the 27 hole number instead of the current 18 hole scheme. I would still say it's worth visiting.
morticite
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 2:30:02 PM

We went there this past weekend. Wow what a course! There were only a few holes that needed a decent amount of clearing but all were playable. I made the mistake of using directions from dgcoursereview which are completely wrong. (I alerted them.) Luckily I stole some wifi from someone's house nearby and got on this site to get the directions. There's no signal out there if you get lost... Anyways great job on this and I can tell it's going to be a pro type course. I like that there are alternate tees so you can play some of them shorter. We hit a lot of trees and some of the long tees put almost too many trees in the way to even have a shot at getting in 4 or 5. The signs for finding each next tee are the best at any course I've seen. Awesome course and I look forward to going back and seeing even more improvements.
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 4:36:51 PM

morticite wrote:
We went there this past weekend. Wow what a course! There were only a few holes that needed a decent amount of clearing but all were playable. I made the mistake of using directions from dgcoursereview which are completely wrong. (I alerted them.) Luckily I stole some wifi from someone's house nearby and got on this site to get the directions. There's no signal out there if you get lost... Anyways great job on this and I can tell it's going to be a pro type course. I like that there are alternate tees so you can play some of them shorter. We hit a lot of trees and some of the long tees put almost too many trees in the way to even have a shot at getting in 4 or 5. The signs for finding each next tee are the best at any course I've seen. Awesome course and I look forward to going back and seeing even more improvements.

I also made it up there to play this past weekend, I had walked 8-18 in early July and saw there was major improvement and this time I played the whole course and was really impressed with 1-7. 

I visited Hank a few weeks back and they plan to improve on the 8-18 holes, just looking for volunteers to help hand clean a few more holes and then bring in a bobcat to do some more clearing/grading.  

The course is at the Hueston Woods Lodge, there were maps inside the lodge on the table across from the check-in desk.  The practice green is along the right side of the parking lot as you face the lodge.

Right now you have 18 holes with two teepads each, and I know Hank is anxious to get 9 more holes installed so he can have a 27 hole layout, and 2 different 18 hole layouts for variety.
robglover
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 9:48:08 PM

Good to know. I've been wanting to check it out.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:49:57 PM

me and my buddies are going out there this weekend did they ever finish the other holes or is it in same shape as last summer we definetly had a little trouble navigating there last year but we played it early in the summer and i know some things have been worked on since
Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:25:57 AM

I've been and played the 18 holes before but is it 27 yet? Just curious ^.^
T-dub
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:07:07 PM

New user here. I've been playing this course a lot & though it's probably not the easiest one for a beginner (or anyone else I suspect) I really like the place. The scenery makes up for the fact I spend a lot of my time there crashing through the underbrush like a foul-mouthed Sasquatch..

Anyway I was curious as to the status of the planned addition and/or volunteering out there the next time there's a cleanup or other work being done. I feel pretty lucky having a course of this quality a 10-minute drive from my house & would love to see it finished.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 9:08:06 AM

t-dub if you have ever been to sweet tee's disc shop in the Hamilton area hank the owner is one that heads up the hueston woods work he is usually out there most weekends but stop by his shop if you wanna plan something out
T-dub
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 10:38:01 AM

Thanks, I work in Fairfield so I've been meaning to check out that shop. At least, I will once I figure out what discs I need next. It might be nice to try something not made by Innova & that's all I've found at WalMart/Dick's/PIAS.
T-dub
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 2:51:34 PM

Ran into Hank doing maintenance out there last week. He's got big plans for the place & if I understood correctly already has baskets in for most of the 9-hole expansion.

As far as the current state of things, if you follow the bright orange "next tee" signs you shouldn't have much trouble. 8-18 don't have permanent signs yet since the hole numbers are going to change but the temporary info is handwritten on the posts.

FWIW, if you haven't played there I'd highly recommend it.  I haven't played enough courses to really break it down from a pure disc golf perspective but I can say you'd be hard pressed to find a course in a nicer setting.  It looks and plays like what it is - a really nice hiking trail expanded into a DG course.