Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Putting Fault Options
Jowsepi
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:35:12 AM

Within 30 feet. If you put from one knee and fall forwards catching your self with your hands, is that a penalty. I just watched a video on pdga.com of a European Open and that happened. He didn't get called on it. Should he have been?
Jowsepi
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:17:35 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm1ODbNzOlE. It was the last hole, by Wulffe. He was strattled out from inder a tree.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:21:13 PM

damn good question joe I was just flipping through my rule book and all it says is "any throw from within 10m of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is a putt. Supporting point contact closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released is a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target." I guess reading this is would be legal as long as the knee that is supporting him doesn't leave the ground and/or move forward of the disc it doesn't say anything about the hands but I may be wrong
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:26:50 PM

It is a stance violation, I have seen a video where Barry calls himself for the same thing. The more videos you watch the more you will find out that the pros are not just pros at throwing they can bend the rules and convince the rest of the card in their favor at times. It was funny in the same video that Barry calls himself for the falling putt, he some how gets the rest of the card to say a drive of his that lands in the lake somehow hit the shore before rolling in. Its only a foul if its called and knowing the guys on the card can certainly help you out in some circumstances.
awesomebob
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:17:07 PM

I just watched that same video. Barry worked his prescense to get the guys to agree with him. also seen nikko call a fault on someone then that someone got him on a fault. think it was barry as well. anyway good stuff as the rules are there and you can use them for your benefit not just on someone else but yourself.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:37:55 PM

Ok. Yes, Joe that would be a falling putt. Barry can no longer cheat by calling stance violations on himself(rule change 2013). BTW Barry got warned not to try his crap again by a very persuasive friend of Steve Rico.
perica
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 9:51:25 AM

Just to play devil's advocate, we don't know how far this guy was from the basket. Nor do we know whether his hand fell in front of or behind his marker disc.

But it probably was a falling putt.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 1:01:36 PM

So hypothetically if someone called him out on this he would have received a warning, and had to re-throw. Any additional stance violations would also be disregarded but he would receive a one stroke penalty as well?
agentdozzer
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:58:48 AM

Someone would have to call him then another person on the card has to second it, then he gets a warning and a rethrow. Any additional violations require a rethrow and a stroke penalty.
topherb
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:19:16 PM

It was a fault. and he was like 10 maybe 15 ft max away! very easy to tell! And its 33ft not 30 and if you wanna be exact its act 32.8ft!
wamslebm
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 11:23:32 AM

I have a putting rules question: I don't play competitively at all. Is a "pizza toss" legal? If you don't know a "pizza toss" I hold the putter or mid-range overhand (thumb in center) and flick and spin. It is crazy accurate good for up to 20 feet flat and 30 feet downhill I have amazing skills with this. I am afraid it isn't legal though.
sisyphus
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 11:34:18 AM

Pretty sure you're describing what's commonly called a "Turbo" Putt. Thumb in middle underside of the flight plate and thrown overhand with the index finger last to leave the edge, imparting the spin, right?

If so, perfectly legal, and used pretty darn well by a near 1000 rated pro in town. Play a round with Turbo Tim Brandenberg and you might actually add to your estimate of what can be done with that style!