Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Winton Woods Options
nuothe11th
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:09:15 PM

Nice to hear there will be some improvements to the course, always thought it played pretty well but some added challenge in the back 9 would be nice. Perhaps then, Pie Chart won't lose to me by two strokes, but he may still shoot over par.
Erik
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:12:21 AM

Pie Chart's head really was not in the game. He just got off the phone with his dad dealing with a bunch of family drama. Prego sister and Grandfather with level 4 lung cancer with under 30 days to live, and trying to plan a 13 hour road trip for this past weekend to go visit.

I could also point to A players who you would have also beat. My A player partner Brian Swingley shot a 59 at Winton in 2009... Congrats on the nice round, but don't slam someone for having a bad day/week...
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 10:21:44 AM

Played Winton yesterday early evening. Pretty crowded and groups were slow! Appeared to be lots of newbies on site.
That is good but bad when you want to play through. You can skip one group but the next hole is packed as well. Got a
a nice 9 hole in and bailed on 10 as there was quite a backup. First real time this spring/summer so good to just get out.
greenhills
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 3:42:31 PM

Sunday afternoons and early evenings are always packed at Winton Woods. I still don't see how spreading out the holes in the new design is going to help with the crowds. I think an additional course is the answer.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:56:59 AM

Yeah that is what I thought they were doing initially was to build a new course that is intermediate/hard to let others play there and newer plays at the original course.
Rwolfenden
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:34:51 AM

No waits down at Gardner Park (Lockland-in Gardner Park off Westview Ave) and it's a better challenge than Winton Woods. Although it's 9 holes the course is difficult playing them all as par 3's. The baskets are "Discatcher Pro baskets" -- those bright yellow rims really make it easy to spot the pins in the woods. The course doesn't have tee pads or signs up yet but email me at Robby.Wolfenden@dealerspecialties.com and I'll send you a map:)
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:25:15 AM

You guys could email the Hamilton co. Parks people and suggest they add a second course and redesign the current one for safety issues.
From what I have heard it is still in the planning and budget phase. And please thank them for allowing DG in their Parks.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:50:17 AM

Yeah, I have done that before and recently as well as suggested.
whamo165g
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:54:21 PM

hole 9's basket is gone. just the pole remains. in it's 30 year history, i can't remember an entire basket being stolen- damaged, yes, but not gone...
whamo165g
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:39:23 PM

and it's been replaced already with an older, and rusting, basket...
Erik
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:25:51 AM

whamo165g wrote:
hole 9's basket is gone. just the pole remains. in it's 30 year history, i can't remember an entire basket being stolen- damaged, yes, but not gone...

That is too bad.  It might be a good idea to donate new theft deterant hardware to protect the basket assembies.  Either that or go the route of welding the tops on...

whamo165g
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:56:13 AM

and it's been replaced- good as new.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:51:37 PM

In terms of being able to accommodate more players at a redesigned Winton, think about a ball golf course on par 4 or par 5 holes with doglegs. One group can be 300 feet away from a tee and around a turn/dogleg in the fairway and another group can tee off without fear of interfering with that group down the fairway. In other words, elongated and/or holes with doglegs can accommodate more than one group. The proposal given to the Winton Woods park officials has an amateur friendly/short front nine (all par 3's and would accommodate 9 groups) and a very challenging back nine with several longer holes which would accommodate approximately 18 groups playing simultaneously. The safety buffers between baskets and adjacent tees was a primary concern. The old/original ("grandfather" of the current) course, which most of you out there never played, had literally hundreds more trees and was made to be played with the "then current" large, slow flying, limited flight "frisbees" which would not injure someone like the fast-flying discs of today. Thus, the distance between the current baskets and adjacent tees is inadequate and a safety concern. 
greenhills
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:23:09 AM

Thanks for the update.......

One of the things I have always liked about the current WW course is that you can start on #1 or if that is crowded you can start on the back nine. Will the current design still offer that option, or will #10 be back in the woods?
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:09:04 AM

The latest proposal has the double loop design with holes 1, 9, 10, and 18, all near the current area/across from the parking lot. Many changes have occurred since the initial proposal to accommodate the park officials - they have many concerns/requirements which go far beyond a disc golfer's point of view. There is a horse trail which they have actually planned to re-locate, in part to make room for the newly proposed course (mostly the back nine). Paul Dumont posted the proposed course design in 3 .pdfs on the previous page [4] of this thread.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 11:49:24 PM

I received an email from Todd Palmeter a couple weeks ago:
Bob-
No news on our end about the disc golf at WW. We are currently going through a reorganization process which will affect staff and projects. Please touch base with me in a couple of months. Thanks.
Todd

Perhaps this coming spring, we could have some fund raisers at Winton to let the park know we support them.
Verjaeger
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:25:38 PM

Sounds like a plan. WW gets more action that most any other course and it's psudeo-pay-2-play
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:14:18 AM

It was my oldest son's 19th birthday on Saturday so we decided to play the muddy Winton Woods. Moderate crowd and notice all the marked trees from late last year gone. So it is getting more and more open. So guess my son had the luck of the irish on his birthday as he aced #9. He
was close on a couple others as well.
Jowsepi
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:00:37 PM

Was able to play Winton Woods today. Say what you want about the course, but it drains amazingly. They do need to do some basket repair and replace the tee pads. And plant new trees since a lot of them are infected and getting cut down.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:17:00 PM

they have been talking about building a new course there for a few years now so im guessing the current course will get neglected some till they figure it out the no6 basket has been broken for several months
Jowsepi
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 8:21:35 PM

It's not broke. The ring holding the chains is opened allowing chains to hang free. I was gonna fix it but I didn't have a clamp to reclose the ring.
alex.e
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:49:21 AM

Has anyone played the extra holes at winton? If so, how do you get to them? Are they similar to holes already on the course? I have heard they are part of a boy scout camping area but have no proof to verify that statement, is that true?
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:03:53 AM

yes they are part of the boy scout camp, I have heard that only the scouts are allowed access but I know others have gone there when the gate is open...Enter at your own risk, muhahahaha
Jowsepi
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:21:08 PM

Chained out back to back holes today. 12 and 13. My son was laughing his butt off at me.