Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Dearborn County, IN Options
sisyphus
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:14:43 PM

Hey all,

Just helping to spread the word for Greg McAtee: if you didn't know, they've been clearing and preparing a new course near Manchester, IN (not too far past Lawrenceberg), and the basket assembly weekend is going to be March 29-30.

Knowing we also have the Harbin Tournament on Saturday, I told Greg I'd be willing to volunteer my minimal 'skills' to help that Sunday, and I'm sure it's a 'the more the merrier' type of event, so he would love to hear from anybody via pm on Facebook, if you might be able to lend a hand.

First course going into that desert in SE Indiana! Be a part of it!

--Jeff A.
T_Vincent
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:40:08 PM

More info please. When I googled Manchester IN, it sent me up by Fort Wayne. That sounds like a neat thing to do on Sunday.
sisyphus
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:48:18 PM

Nah, that's North Manchester (I saw that too: nice when they do that in state!). It's between Aurora & Milan in Dearborn County. Haven't been there myself, yet, but we can get details from Greg (he was having trouble logging in here).
sisyphus
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:53:34 PM

I'm about 9/10ths sure it's located near a bend in County Farm Road just west of route 48 (scanning Google Maps myself).
travelling_man
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:10:27 AM

Hello! This is Greg McAtee. I finally remembered my login. Not sure if the baskets have arrived yet. Still waiting to hear back from the Park Superintendent, Steve Walker. Either way, we have a lot to do on the course. There's a few fairways that need widened, trimmed. Everything needs mowed with a mower. Directional arrows for some of the hard to find tees will be put up this weekend. Should be marking paths with orange ribbon, etc. Plenty to keep me busy and whoever else wants to help and possibly throw a few holes! I plan on being out there a lot this weekend, regardless if the baskets arrive or not. I will update later when I hear back from Steve. My cellphone is (812) 621-3111. Cellphone reception is non-existant out there, though! The course is located about 300-400 yards due west of the YES Home on County Farm Road near Manchester, IN. The address is 11636 County Farm Rd, Aurora, IN, US, 47001. Temporary parking will be in the gravel lot next to the Parks Department's pole barns with a long walk to the course. Keep in mind, this park is 250+ acres, with all of the farm fields protected until 2017. So, there is plenty of room for a championship course if demand warrants it. That is why we decided to build a beginner/intermediate level course to flood it with traffic and hopefully new players. There are a few beast holes, including hole 12 that plays along a steep hillside. Kick off a tree right and you will be sorry! Plenty of hills, sinkholes, and a couple of ace runs. We plan on installing the baskets, and then deciding after some play if we need to adjust teepad location before making permanent teepads. If you look at Google Earth to the west of the YES Home, you can actually see us clearing fairways! When you do get the chance to play this course in the future, please email or call the park department and thank them. Steve Walker has really been the force to make this happen and the Park Board has been very supportive.
travelling_man
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:01:40 PM

9am both Saturday and Sunday for anyone that wants to come out! Talked to Steve and he's waiting on the call to unload the baskets today. If Aurora Lumber comes thru with delivering the building materials, some baskets will go in the ground Sunday.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 6:34:07 AM

Hiya Greg, glad to hear another course is in the works. Not sure if our locals will be able to help much this weekend since our first CCS of the year is Saturday and my new business grand re-opening at MT.Airy is Sunday. I will try and stop out sometime this year if possible. Keep up the great work bud...
travelling_man
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 1:10:39 PM

I understand Adam. I haven't been able to participate in events like I want due to this course. There will be plenty of opportunities in the future!
travelling_man
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 8:20:23 PM

Thanks to those that came out today to walk the course and help build the teepad frames: Jeff Armstrong, Tony Vincent, and Kevin Vincent. We were able to get a lot done and have some fun! It was amazing the amount of work that got knocked out today with a few extra hands. With good weather next weekend, we should get some baskets in the ground.

The official course name was decided: Cedar Sentinels DGC @ County Farm Park.
For updates on the new course and the County Farm Park, please visit the Dearborn County Parks website: parks.dearborncounty.in.gov. (copy and paste in browser)

As soon as baskets are in the ground, I will post the course and details on dgcoursereview.com.
travelling_man
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:02:00 PM

Work day for anyone that wants to come out on Sunday at 10am! Meet at the barns!
vizi25
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:12:48 AM

thats awesome there is another course coming to the area and is this course open now
T_Vincent
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:23:37 AM

Not yet. The work we are doing is to get it open. I believe on Sunday the plan is to try to get the holes dug and sleeves in. If all goes well, in a few weeks the course will be open.
travelling_man
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:38:01 PM

Today we spent the morning rounding up all the tools, tractors, etc. to install sleeves. We ended up installing 5 sleeves until we were wore out (holes 1, 2, 4, 7, 11). So, tomorrow we have 11 sleeves to go. Then maybe install 5 baskets if the concrete is set up! As soon as all 18 baskets are in the ground the course will be listed on dgcoursereview.com. Teepads will be installed as the year goes along. Steve's plan the next rainy weekend is to build a sign-in kiosk w/ course map out of scrap wood and metal at the park. Steve also got Kevin's disc out of the tree and is holding it hostage until he comes back out!
travelling_man
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 8:04:42 PM

Steve Walker and I are looking for some volunteers to help install teepads this Sunday 5/11 at Cedar Sentinels. Meet at 10 am at the County Farm Park barns near the YES Home. Our personal best in one day with Kevin and Jimmy Vincent is 3 teepads. Let's see if we can beat that! 11 to go!

Today, a new walkway was cut from 10's basket to 11's teepad and lots of briars were removed from favorite landing zones on Holes 12, 13, and 14. Tree limbs also were trimmed on Hole 10 (much needed). Hole 6's teepad was also moved back in a newly cleared spot.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 8:37:10 PM

I am trying to get a couple guys together to come out. I will PM you when I know for sure.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 9:02:29 PM

I've heard that you guys are installing paving stone tees? Does anyone have a pic of these, so I can shoe my friends.

or are these similar enough to ones in the disc golfer article to just show them that?
sisyphus
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 10:15:50 PM

I hope this works as a link to one of the pics on Greg's Facebook page:
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1374928_10154098523075571_4413679815305794683_n.jpg
brutalbrutus
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 10:18:34 PM

Thx jeff, I guess one of these days I'm gonna have to actually get a facebook account lol.
DiscDogNation
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:15:06 PM

Is this course in and ready to play ?
sisyphus
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:01:33 PM

Yes sir! It's called Cedar Sentinels (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6791)
and Greg is actually planning a work day Sunday to add more of the teepads (there are 5 in place already). He realized after planning it that's Mother's Day, but if you want to meet him, and have Mom's OK...
DiscDogNation
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:34:20 PM

I was thinking about trying it tonight ... and Mom's in Florida but Julie might have to OK a sunday out to play (as she would call it)
travelling_man
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:40:20 PM

Looks like we are going to try and finish installing the rest of the tee pads these next two weekends. Any volunteers will be greatly appreciated! (812) 621-3111
Dawgii
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 8:42:47 AM

Finally got out there to play the course. Great job Greg and to the other volunteers. It is definitely worth the drive to play and will be one of the better courses to play when it gets completed.
travelling_man
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:24:09 PM

Thanks to the Vincent brothers for carrying my weight this weekend while I was under the weather. We now have 11 tee pads, holes 16 and 3 were trimmed and cleaned of debris, and most of the grass was mowed. Tony also donated some material to make temp tee signs. I am no artist, but they should be up this week. Get out there while the grass isn't too high!