Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Disc Golf at Dunham Options
sisyphus
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:20:41 AM

Yep, in terms of length, you'll find a lot of birdie opportunities, and not so many where you know going in that you're shooting for a three. It's not technical, but I think you'll still enjoy an occasional play there. Suddenly, I'm thinking it feels a little like a slightly shorter Harbin without the long grass or the mud, if that makes sense. And I'd say the knolls make the 'greens' more interesting, in a way. Fun but not grueling elevations, a lot of openness (which means windy days might get interesting).

PS: I apologize for going already without ya, bud. Felt a little guilty about that, but being on summer schedule, and having one dry day to go check it out, I jumped at the chance...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:20:18 AM

This course is not complete. Please dont post reviews on dgcr. I will let you know when it is ready.
Thanks
flip1981
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:23:42 PM

Can't wait to play this course! bow
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:47:35 PM

Ok. This is the schedule i have for archery: Monday - 6pm - 8pm,Tuesday - 9:30 - 11-30, Friday - 9:30 - 11:30, Saturdays 10 - 2. Wednesdays,July 2, July 16 and 23rd - 9:30 - 12:00.
sisyphus
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:44:52 PM

Hope it's OK, since that's vital info, but there is a section called 'Course Condition Updates' at DGCR where you can let folks know if a course is muddy, a hole is unplayable, etc. I went ahead and let folks know that schedule on there, too.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:13:52 PM

Sure, thanks Jeff.
wamslebm
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 4:55:40 PM

I am going to this course this weekend (7/19/2014) whether it is ready or not! Looks ready by the pictures someone took on dgcoursereview.com (why are pictures there always from overcast days??). Course looks fun. I am going to bring my dog too cause she's my frisbee finder in training.
sisyphus
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 6:52:52 PM

It's ready for play, and a lot of fun.

I apologize for the pics (crappy camera), but didn't you know that Cincinnati is kind of the anti-SanDiego? It's always cloudy. And when it's not, we keep it on the down low, and enjoy it all ourselves!

ps: just an fyi...if your a tournament player, or want to meet the local club folks, we have a sanctioned event at Mt. Airy the 19th.
whamo165g
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 11:28:47 AM

George Collett aced #5 yesterday
wamslebm
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 10:09:51 AM

I got a chance to play this course this weekend. I had fun and the course is a great addition to my circuit. I like the terrain variation. It was as expected for a golf course renovation.

Hole #16 worst hole hands down. First, it was hard to find from Hole #15. But worse, it is a very dangerous hole as it stands. You have to throw it between two pairs of mando trees but the tee pad is so close to the trees that a backhander has to be very very aware of his follow thru. I think this hole needs to be revisited somehow.

I would suggest a shorter hole there. After coming out of Hole 15 (a 450 ft challenging par 3 hole) why not have a nice par 2 that can be aced? I don't know what are your thoughts?

Also, what if we could get some tall natural grasses for the sand traps (kinda like Heritage)?
wamslebm
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 10:21:25 AM

Also, it would be nice if hole #1 had some trees in bounds behind it. It is a surprisingly punishing start hole. I saw a group spend an hour there to climb the fence and look for the first discs they threw of the day. Of course we would only have to wait twenty years to see the fruit of this effort...
patrickmorgan12
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 10:32:01 AM

I try to throw an overstable fairway on this hole on a huge hyzer bomb route. it makes it so much safer and no way i am looking for a disc on the first hole. :)
wamslebm
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 10:45:24 AM

After witnessing some other peoples misfortunes there, I played it safe with an over-stable heavy disc also. Later on, I came back and tried a roller which kinda worked since the fence make a roller "safe".
travelling_man
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:43:03 PM

wamslebm wrote:
I got a chance to play this course this weekend. I had fun and the course is a great addition to my circuit. I like the terrain variation. It was as expected for a golf course renovation. Hole #16 worst hole hands down. First, it was hard to find from Hole #15. But worse, it is a very dangerous hole as it stands. You have to throw it between two pairs of mando trees but the tee pad is so close to the trees that a backhander has to be very very aware of his follow thru. I think this hole needs to be revisited somehow. I would suggest a shorter hole there. After coming out of Hole 15 (a 450 ft challenging par 3 hole) why not have a nice par 2 that can be aced? I don't know what are your thoughts? Also, what if we could get some tall natural grasses for the sand traps (kinda like Heritage)?

You stated Hole 16 was dangerous, hole 1 was punishing, and want to incorporate Heritage's design into this course.  You sir must turn in your man card!
travelling_man
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:43:04 PM

wamslebm wrote:
I got a chance to play this course this weekend. I had fun and the course is a great addition to my circuit. I like the terrain variation. It was as expected for a golf course renovation. Hole #16 worst hole hands down. First, it was hard to find from Hole #15. But worse, it is a very dangerous hole as it stands. You have to throw it between two pairs of mando trees but the tee pad is so close to the trees that a backhander has to be very very aware of his follow thru. I think this hole needs to be revisited somehow. I would suggest a shorter hole there. After coming out of Hole 15 (a 450 ft challenging par 3 hole) why not have a nice par 2 that can be aced? I don't know what are your thoughts? Also, what if we could get some tall natural grasses for the sand traps (kinda like Heritage)?

You stated Hole 16 was dangerous, hole 1 was punishing, and want to incorporate Heritage's design into this course.  You sir must turn in your man card!
wamslebm
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:36:51 PM

Nah, I just want this course to be the best it can be. 

Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:52:56 PM

wamslebm wrote:

The course is not finished.  The tee for #16 is currently dirt therefore not complete.  Eventually it will be concrete and it will be a safe distance from the trees.  #1 was designed that way for a reason(challenge your skill and nerves) and no trees will be planted behind the basket.  Trees will be planted eventually throughout the course though. 
wamslebm
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 2:13:05 PM

Great to hear! I can appreciate #1 as a challenge and I was just offering what I thought might be constructive criticism. I think you did a great job with the canvas you were given. Thanks for all your hard work on this course. If you need help planting those trees I would be glad to help. Also, if you are looking for trees (within Cincinnati/Hamilton County) I might have some ideas who to ask.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:20:12 PM

New fall schedule for Dunham. Archers will be gone for next years season.
Monday, 5:30 - dusk
Tuesday, 9am - 5pm
Friday, 12pm -6pm
Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday - Open all day for disc golf.
Can admin add Dunham to the course list where this schedule can be posted for the rest of the fall season? Thanks
perica
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:22:56 PM

Can we do glow at Dunham or is the park locked up at night during Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:57:45 PM

The park director is checking on it. Liability and all that. He likes the idea though.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 11:58:46 AM

FYI - Dunham archery has added Wednesday 5:45 - dusk for the next 4 weeks. So the archery schedule looks like this:

MONDAY - 5:30 - DUSK
TUESDAY - 9 - 5
WEDNESDAY 5:45 - DUSK(4 weeks)
FRIDAY 12 - 6

They discussed the idea for glow golf. Will know more later today.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 3:20:23 PM

Does that include today?
dettmerb
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2014 4:12:47 PM

The sign out in front of course says that Archery is closed for the season. Additionally, the course is green, mowed nice, and looking great!