Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Miami Univ Oxford DGC Options
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:12:48 AM

Who's ready for the new Miami University Oxford DGC?  Baskets (18) were ordered and are waiting on shipping but sleeves (36!) are already here and ready for planting (by MU!). Course is designed and finally approved so all we need to do is clear brush and chop honeysuckle to make the course playable. Volunteers are needed this Friday Aug 25th to make it happen. I will be there by Noon to show volunteers what needs to be done. If we can get at least 10 people there, I think we can knock it out in few hours. Please bring loppers, hand saws, work gloves, and water. If you don't have any, no problem, you can drag brush away. If we get done early I can give a walk through of entire course. Many hands make light work! I know the Eastsiders have been busy with Goshen, and many others with Idlewild, but Adam and I have been working for years with MU to return this jewel to the Northern Cincy area crown and after many visits and battling the bureaucracy they finally came through with approvals, dollars, and support. Please post your names here if you can make it (even if only a few hours) and invite friends who may be interested. I will try to get parking passes from university but I need a headcount. Otherwise free parking is available at Peffer Park which is only a few hundred feet from course. More later...
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:10:59 PM

This is great news! Is there a facebook link on this I can share to help spread the word? I have to work Friday but will try to help at a future date.

Kelly
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:06:16 PM

Yes, there is a post on Cincy Disc Golfers Facebook page. I can't figure out how to post a link from here to there. I'll post in the future at that site and this site if more work is needed. We're still on for noon until 5 this Friday. We desperately need as many people as we can to get as much done in that one afternoon. If anyone is able to swing by and can work later that evening or this weekend, I can show you what needs to be done but I have to leave by 5.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 7:41:46 PM

Attention Northern Cincinnati, Middletown, Hamilton, Oxford, anx other Southwest Ohio disc golfers! We really need your help for a couple hours tomorrow, Labor Day Monday, at the Miami University Oxford disc golf course to get it ready for installation of 18 new baskets. Meet at the art museum at 10 a.m. with or without equipment and we will hopefully knock it out in a couple hours.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 9:03:53 PM

I'd like to thank the 3 volunteers who came out today to join my kids and me to sweat and get dirty getting Oxford DGC ready for baskets. Thank you Michael Beck, Tim Maricle, Greg Williams, Ellie Caldwell and Bradley Caldwell. We would have loved to have played disc golf ourselves somewhere, but these courses don't put themselves in. We mostly finished the clearing we needed to get done but with the continued lack of volunteers, we couldn't make it completely play-ready. There is still a lot of brush that we cut but ran out of energy and time to fully clean up. Anyone who's willing to help can pick up debris and drag the cut honeysuckle off of the fairways (far enough that players won't be regularly dealing with it) any time they want. I marked with white paint some small trees on #8 and #9 that need to come down. A walk through the course will show quite readily what trimming is still needed . #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 could use a 15' honeysuckle-free circle around their baskets. Leave the trees, though. If approached by MU staff, tell them you are working with me and Ron Siliko (MU Recreation). Hopefully some of the more local DGers could spare a couple hours over next week.

File Attachment(s):
Disc Golf Course GPS Points - Renumbered - 8.21.17 (954kb) downloaded 0 time(s).