Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Milikin Park Disc Golf Course? Options
PaintBaller4
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 8:02:53 PM

Does anybody know how far the progress has come on the disc golf course begun in August? I know they started construction then, but I have since then left for college
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:22:08 AM

Yeah, The baskets are sitting at Sweettees just waiting to be put in. I think the guy is looking for some volunteers and a good day to go out and get the baskets up. So the baskets are there, just need to be put in the ground. And I think the park gave them the go ahead whenever they want.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:16:02 PM

So the course is already laid-out and everything, all that is needed is a work day to install everything?
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:07:48 PM

No that is not true... there are three holes laid out. They are at least taped off. The final 6 need taped off, then the work crew can take a bobcat through it. It is still woods the last time that I was there.
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:29:06 PM

Let me know if and when you could use my assistance and I will be there.

Brad - Your family is in my prayers.

Take care.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:14:06 PM

About where is this park located?  Will it be limited to 9 holes, even for the long term?
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:43:09 PM

The corner of Milikin & Morris. Right by Fairfield North Elementary.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:02:59 PM

Message from Hank...
Skylor Miller from Fairfield Twp Parks stopped by today and confirmed the following. Skylor and crew had rented an expensive ($400 a day) cylinder that attached to the bobcat and did an amazing amount of work in one day. They have carved out 9 playable holes. Due to the damage in the area from the storm they have been detained with clean up duties. Skylor invites us to play the course as is for now. The trustees will see this as a positive repsonse and hopefully allocate further funds for additional development. I played the course this past Monday night from 7:45 pm to 9:30 pm. This course is a blast at night. Skylor is going to be out on the course on Friday with his handsaw cutting damaged limbs from fareways. As you play your rounds, feel free to remove an dead brush or limbs from the fareways.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:13:21 PM

On Friday September 26th, Hank will place 9 temporary baskets on the course. For the night portion there will be glow sticks provided for each basket. Fridays time frame will be 4pm to 10pm. and on Saturday 9/27, the time will be 11am - 10pm. We will have 2 in. glow sticks available for 1.50. You can pick up better lighting devices at Bass Pro shop as an example. This is an open course format and we hope you come out and play both days if you like. In addition we will be playing glow ultimate in field adjacent to course. The ultimate discs will blow your mind. There will be adequate parking available. Access parking from the Morris Rd follow the signs. The course is 400 ft east of parking area.
kmaupin
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 8:50:26 PM

I am very happy to see the course has been carved out, soon I will have a course with in five minutes from my house... WOOT!!! =)

Thanks to Skylor, Sweet Tees, GCFDA, Fairfield Township, and anyone else I am not thinking to mention, for making this happen.

Have fun
mikesech
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 8:02:58 AM

its a great 9 hole course needs a little clearing up though but other than that it was great
mikesech
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 8:04:44 AM

thanks sweetees for putting on a glow event it was fun looking forword to doing it again great job guys
disc golfer girl
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 6:08:11 PM

Thanks to all to all who came out for the preview of the future Millikin course. We had such fun and had an oppotunity to introduce the sport to some newbies as well. Thanks to all who helped with placing and removing temporary baskets.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 3:14:33 PM

Just an update, we will be back out at Millikin with the temporary course again on Friday from 4-10 and on Saturday from 2-10. Please join us if you can. We want to show the parks department what great support we have from the area disc golfers. :)
PaintBaller4
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:14:28 PM

any update on the construction of the course?
disc golfer girl
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:13:51 PM

UPDATE!!!! Millikin Baskets are in. Sweetees will be hosting glow rounds of golf on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evening from 5-9. Hope to see you there.
fairmike9
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:48:50 PM

Played round last night with Hank. Me and Brandon took him and james to school....lol (james is 12)
fairmike9
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:04:45 PM

listed milikin on dgreview if any updates are available or anone wants to change some of the stuff on it be my guest.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 2:52:05 PM

nice, i am definetly going to try and get out there tonight for some glow!!! Hank going to be out there?
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:53:56 PM

I will try to get over there and check it out. Happy to hear the baskets are in the ground!
Skylor
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 3:11:34 PM

Hello All,

I finally got around to registering here. Love the Website BTW. Just thought I'd poke my head in and say hi.  wave

Just to give you all an update, The baskets were installed on November 4, 2008. The course is roughed in but the ground still needs cleared of some moderate debris.
I'll take care of the debris the week of 11/10 and begin spreading some mulch ( We have a major surplus due to the September Storm)

Tee pads and signage will most likely come in early spring as it's starting to get cold now. I will be designing the course signage through the Winter and possibly looking at some alternate Tee placements as well.

I also want to take a moment a thank Brad, Liz, Hank and everyone else who has come out and helped with the course. I can't tell you how glad I am that the GCFDA got involved early in the project. You guys are the best.

If anyone needs a walkthrough or a rough map of the course, feel free to email me at  millersr@fairfieldtwp.org. My office is right next to the course and my door is always open.

I look forward to seeing you all here soon,

Skylor R. Miller
Fairfield Township
Assistant Administrator

fairmike9
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 11:34:02 PM

Good little course. I hope to play it in the sunlight at some point. So far only played at night with hank and them....hahaha Look forward to its improved progress.Recomend a look see to anyone.
kmaupin
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 1:07:22 PM

After attending one of the glow events last week and then playing yesterday, during the day, the course is fun. The thorns are abundant so be careful in the rough.

I figure you will be spreading the mulch soon which may be why you have not done so, but we need to mark the teepads, even with little flags as it is confusing.

It would not be a bad idea to make paper signs(enclosed in plastic) that you can put up as temporary place holders for future signage. Hole number, distance, and par would suffice and maybe a rough drawing of the hole. I can do that if I know the teepad placement.

Anyone going right now to play would do a lot of walk up and find the pin, then back track to a estimated tee pad and that takes away some of the fun.

The only warning I would also mention is the transition from hole 1 to hole 2, crosses hole 9's flight path, it is a blind crossing that could be dangerous. I would maybe put a warning after hole 1's basket as a reminder to watch for flying discs.

I removed a bunch of the constuction tape that was used to mark the course for clearing.

Thanks again to Skylor and Fairfield Township!
kmaupin
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 1:11:22 PM

Skylor, if you have a rough map that they could put up on this site, that could be helpful unless you are waiting till spring for an official opening ceremony, after real tee pads are installed. I think it is playable now with the above additions. Soon to be added as one of Cincinnati's newest 9 hole courses.
Skylor
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:33:40 PM

I'll work on the map, maybe a Aerial Map with a course overlay?

If anyone wants to come out before I finish though, just swing by my office, I'll give you the tour... maybe grab a disc on my way out the door ;)

Tomorrow, I'll be out spreading mulch. I'll look into some temporary flags for tee placement as well.

Keep in mind though, that the tee placement is a dynamic question right now. The more people play and the more input I recieve means the better the placement will be. As far as I'm concerned, you guys are the ones to tell me where to place them. I'm also looking into concrete vs. fly 18 rubber pads. Your input will go a long way in shaping the final course.

Thanks for your help.

V/R,

Skylor