Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Icebowl Krazy Series Options
discndat
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:10:39 PM

Yep, it's that time of year again. I know we don't want to be thinking about that kind of weather, but we have to. I've got the 2009 Icebowl Krazy Series schedule set up like this:

1/10/09 - Mt. Airy
1/24/09 - Banklick
  2/7/09 - Idlewild/Boone

I'll have more information about registartion to come later and about raising $, collecting clothing, food, etc. for Fairhaven Rescue Mission. We raised $3100 last year. I gave us a goal this year of $4500. It really was a nice feeling to submit a "big check" from the club for $3100. I know Fairhaven really appreciated it and I'm sure the people served by Fairhaven appreciate it.

discndat attached the following image(s):
big_check_08.jpg

bobherb
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 12:13:11 PM

Dan, there is a really nice tourney in California on 1/10/09.
Will you PLEASE consider re-scheduling.
You know how I love playing disc golf in the snow. LOL
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:21:09 PM

Dan, any chance of donating a bag of grass seed or two to each course to help keep erosion to a minimum over the winter?
andersab
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 11:15:01 AM

Maybe the club can, we can bring that up in our December meeting.
perica
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 1:19:34 PM

better plant that grass soon if you want to see much prevention over the winter
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:19:18 AM

We'll do something Fred. First, I might do some research to see when exactly more erosion takes place. I'm not convinced it would be winter.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:59:28 PM

Dan, it's not so much the winter it's when it warms up and thaws out when most of the damage is done. Then again the drought the last couple of years has not helped any either. For example we put down sod then reseeded my hole #3 at Idlewild and it still looks like crap. It's a losing battle and I'm beginning to see that. Not sure what to do.
perica
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 8:25:44 PM

i think that one thing to consider is also the exposure to sunlight. the green on 3 is very shady. there may be a better type of grass out there for different situations.
mikekem
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:26:32 AM

Dan, feel free to add these to the front page events.
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:07:49 AM

Thanks Mike. I've added the Icebowls to the home page events and Wednesday Night Doubles for the weekly events. I also added the New Years Day tournament to the events. I am not sure what time we want to start so I just put 11:00 am for now and said we'd do specifics later. What time do we usually start - 11:00 or Noon? I couldn't remember. Thanks
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 11:14:49 AM

Dan I was thinking tee-off at 11 signup by 10:30 but let me figure out some things and I'll update :-) Thanks for adding it.
lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:06:49 AM

discndat wrote:
Yep, it's that time of year again. I know we don't want to be thinking about that kind of weather, but we have to. I've got the 2009 Icebowl Krazy Series schedule set up like this:

1/10/09 - Mt. Airy
1/24/09 - Banklick
  2/7/09 - Idlewild/Boone

'Tis the season . . .

Lexington's Ice Bowls are tentatively scheduled for Jan. 17 (Nicholasville, C-Tier Sanctioned) and Jan. 31 (Lexington).  As we get more details, I will let you all know.  Last year it was great for our two areas to support each other's events, and we hope to build on that for this year.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 10:16:42 AM

lylemccoon wrote:
Lexington's Ice Bowls are tentatively scheduled for Jan. 17 (Nicholasville, C-Tier Sanctioned) and Jan. 31 (Lexington). 

Those dates are now confirmed.  Hope to see you all there.

Lyle
bobherb
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 12:16:17 PM

Nice planning Lyle (the crocodile...)!!!
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 12:57:07 PM

Just doing laundry and remembered I have way too many clothes and it hit me. Last year I was asked to make a donation of clothes as part of our contribution to the Fairhaven Rescue Mission. You know how it is. You have work and life to contend with throughout the week and once the tournament roles around you forget...but you promise that on the next tournament you will take in some clothes..and you forget...and once again...you forget.

Now is the perfect time to think about your donation of clothes to the Ice Bowl Series. We have Christmas coming up where most of us are fortunate enough to atleast have a job in this troubled economy and family and maybe a friend or two. I know it is in the eye of the beholder, but we are blessed. We worry about not having enough money to pay our cellphone bills while others worry about having something to eat and a place to stay at night. The least we could do is go through our deluge of clothing and pick out a few things we don't need or want. How many fleece pullovers do I really need? 20? I think not. I haven't worn these pants in years...is there a chance I'll be a 30" waist again? I think not. I alone could clothe half the people at the Mission...I'm sure most of you could do the same.

I started today setting aside clothing for donation. Since I'm the worst procrastinator of us all..there is hope for the rest of you. Maybe we can get Kevin Brashear to start setting aside some space in his emaculately tidy garage to store some clothing until tournament time. Again, I would like each of you to take a few minutes this week and look through your stuff. You are now pulling storage boxes out of winter clothing and putting away your summer clothing. Do you still wear that? Do you need that? Someone else might NEED it more. Just think about it and I hope each and everyone of you have a great holiday season.

Lee Stephens
KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:54:39 PM

I'm not so sure my garage is emaculately tidy, but yes Lee, I'd be happy to collect any clothing and coats for donation to Fairhaven again this year. I contacted Dan Bayless about doing it again for the Ice Bowls and will collect at each one, or if I plan on attending any other weekly event prior to those I'll post and you can bring it to me there.
I make the trip up there as I gather it. However, any disc golfer is welcome to bring donations by at any time. It's not only the holiday season that people are in need and they are helping people. Just ask to speak to David Hammers and let him know you are a disc golfer helping out.
Fairhaven is located at 260 Pike Street in Covington, KY.
Another great charity that I contribute/volunteer to is the Northern Kentucky Community Action Commision. Information about them can be found at www.nkcac.org
GStrick
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 5:15:53 PM

I was wondering if you have a donation sheet and/or flyer for 2009?
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:58:52 PM

Gerry - don't have a donation sheet. Maybe I'll work on that. But I do have a flyer - I thought I had already posted it, but apparently not. So here it is. If someone can print a few out for New Years Day at Winton, that would be great. I won't be able to be there. Have fun and Happy New Year to all.

Just some ideas for individual fundraising: Keith and his wife have pledged .25 for each person who plays in all 3 Icebowls, so if we have 50 at each Icebowl, that's 150 X .25 =$37.50. Anyone else who would like to do that, it would be great. You can get your friends, family, co-workers, businesses you frequent, etc. to do something like this.

You can get pledges per hole, per event, per persons playing or just a straight-out donation. Everything really helps. We've got a tall order to raise $4500 but I know we can do it.
We'll be taking $5 of each entry for Fairhaven and we'll be selling Mulligans again this year $1 per mulligan, max 3 per round.

We will also be taking any donations of non-perishable food and clothing. Kevin Brashear will be collecting the food and clothing at each Icebowl event.

If anyone has any other ideas for fundraising for Fairhaven, let us know. Let's reach our goal.

File Attachment(s):
2009 Icebowl Krazy Series flyer.doc (199kb) downloaded 87 time(s).

discndat
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:29:34 PM

Jeff is making some copies of the Icebowl Flyer to bring on New Years Day.
chain_shaker
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 12:48:12 PM

Is the cost to play gonna be the same as the coarse challenge series?
discndat
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 12:54:11 PM

chain_shaker, the cost is on the flyer posted above. Quickly, it is $30 for Pros, $20 for Advanced, $15 for Novice, $10 for Juniors. $5 of this goes directly to Fairhaven Rescue Mission.
chain_shaker
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 11:48:49 PM

Thanks. I didn't even see that.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 4:20:52 PM

A few updates: the GCFDA will donate $1 per person who plays in the Icebowls, so if we have 50 participants in each, the club would donate $150; we have some Icebowl Fundraiser discs for sale: STAR Ontario INNcolor Rocs at $30 each - $19 goes to Fairhaven; Discraft Supercolor Buzzz at $22 - $12 goes to Fairhaven. Anyone wanting to reserve one, let me know. They are really sweet! I'll post some pics on my blog - sometimes forget how to put up a pic on here - not a complaint, just my lack of computer skills.

Spoke to Dave Hammers of Fairhaven today and he will be out at the Mt. Airy Icebowl on Saturday for the start. He's very appreciative of what we did last year and is excited about our efforts this year.

Anybody getting some pledges for this year?

discndat
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:00:47 AM

thumbsup We have an anonymous donor of $1 per Icebowl participant up to 50 per Icebowl. Thank you!  thumbsup
discndat
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 3:32:24 PM

Just doing a little bump here as a reminder for the Icebowl Krazy Series #1 kickoff tomorrow at Mt. Airy. cold