Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Owen Co. High School Disc Golf Course Options
Jokerman
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:42:08 PM

Not sure if any of you are from the area or have heard. There is a new Disc Golf Course on the campus of the Owen Co High School in Owenton, Ky.

It was designed and put together by one of the teachers, Rusty Willhoite there who is a dg player. It was part of a school project and they did a good job. There are a few tee pads that are off center, but they are solid and better than dirt. There are well defined signs up. It is a 9 hole course but I could see them adding another 9 in the future.

Several of the holes are challenging with one of the final holes having a water hazard protruding from the left on a 400 ft hole. 

All in all I'd give it about a rating like a Boone Woods. It might not make your tour of courses but if your ever down there you might check it out.  Just make sure you go when school is not in session is all they ask. 

Directions: 75 south off at Exit 159 Owenton/Dry Ridge Exit. Turn right toward Owenton out about 20 mins. School on right.

Check out these photos if you like:
 http://discgolfer.ning.com/photo/albums/owen-co-high-school-disc-golf
Jokerman
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 7:47:18 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to pass this on. Talked to Rusty the teacher at the OCHS who designed the course. He said he would be open to people contacting him anytime about the course as far as events and etc.

rusty.Willhoite@owen.kyschools.us

rwilhoite
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 10:55:28 PM

Hello all, I am the teacher at Owen County High school that designed and constructed the course along with my students help. I am very excited that others are now playing the course and that the word is getting out. I would like to get more of the students interested in the game as most have never even heard of disc golf. So any help would be great. Maybe after Christmas break I could have few experienced disc golfers come out and talk to my students and show them some proper technique to throwing a disc.
This course was funded by the Owen County board of Ed with the intentions that I would raise some money to help pay back the cost. I am trying to get sponsors for each hole. Anyone who sponsors a hole would have their name or business name permanently placed on the sign for the chosen available hole. I also have a bridge on the course and a sign that needs sponsorship as well. Anyone who is interested in sponsoring a hole may contact me at rusty.willhoite@owen.kyschools.us

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the new course.
Rusty Willhoite
bartram
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:20:43 PM

any takers on some doubles there this saturday?
bartram
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:27:28 PM

this is the last call for owenton. if no one wants to play i am planning on going to lebanon instead...
rwilhoite
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 12:41:31 AM

I wouldn't mind playing early saturday morning. I have to be out of town that afternoon for a family event. Say around 10:00 am
bartram
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 6:08:34 PM

i think we are gonna go south to lebanon instead. we'll have to try again after the new year.
Jokerman
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:48:17 PM

hey wanted to throw out an invite. couple guys and i are playing Owen at 10 am this coming tuesday. some of you might be back to work or not so come out if you want.