Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Course Challenge Series Options
T_Vincent
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 7:33:32 PM

I have yet to read any thoughts on the upcoming CCS year on the forum, so I decided to start it for this year. I know Dave Marlow is the CCC this year and will have the final say, but last year there was a lot of debate about what the order should be. So I looked at the places that we went to over the last 12 years (They are all listed on the results page). I saw quite a few patterns that we have done at different times. There are courses we would not use for the CCS now, since we now have many harder courses. Below is what I have found to be the courses that are always used and the usual order they are played.

We started at Mt. Airy ever since we stopped playing Winton.
We end the year at Banklick, It was at Boone.
Harbin, is in August.
Since its creation, Idlewild has been in June or July. (Longer days to make it fit better)
If we continue with Dayton in doing a CCS/BID events, Then the Monroe/Turtlecreek & Oxford courses are logical since they are in between the two areas.

This would leave us with three dates on the CCS to fill.
Looking at 18 hole courses we can play, that are not too easy, gives me this list.

AJ Jolly
Boone Woods (Looking foward to the new layout)
Gulley
Heritage (If we want to go by the tee-signs. I did not play this one, but I heard the course was still a bit too easy)
Williamsburg (Minus all the wind and trees falling)

These are courses we can use if we have baskets to make the course.

Burnet
Mt. Echo (Was played in 2005. Previous times were in ?-1999)
Rapid Run (Has not been played since 1998)

I know it can be a hassle to find and arrange baskets to set up the course. I would be happy to help with the work if any of these three are used. Mt. Echo & Rapid Run may not work for this year, but if I put a bug in your ear, we may think of them for the future. Mt. Echo & Rapid run would be great if we could, since a lot of the newer players have not played these courses, myself included. Many, may not have even heard of them. It may not be possible though, we have to have the baskets, and we need the permission. When we held Worlds, I figure it was easier to get permission since it was a bigger event. A CCS may not work, but if we can pull it off I think it would be great. No one would have an advantage, since it has been so long, since they have been played.

A few personal opinions:
I like the CCS/BID idea, it does give us a larger field, and lets the two clubs work together.
The other three dates should have the courses rotate from year to year.
Any new 18 hole (or 9 Hole with space for 9 more) course should get a CCS date. Even if it is an easy course (Heritage), I feel this shows great support from the club.
As for playing on Sunday, it does not bother me. We may want to use them only in the early part of the year, so the football fans do not miss their games.

My idea for the schedule would be as follows:
March: Mt. Airy
April: Burnet
May: Oxford (BID/CCS if we can, they have their schedule mostly set.)
June: Monroe/Turtlecreek (BID/CCS)
July: IdleWild
August: Harbin
Sept: AJ Jolly (I am sure Blakely will have a C-tier at Gulley so that course is still being used.)
Oct: Boone Woods (I think that the work on the new layout could be done by this time, otherwise Gulley)
Nov: Banklick

We are so blessed to have so many great courses that are worth a CCS date. I know that whatever schedule is created we will have another great series, and I am looking forward to attending as many as I can.

ADM2008
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 11:08:27 PM

I noticed that Mt.Airy takes a beating in wet conditions, for the sake of preservation, why don't we hold Mt. Airy's course challenge later in the series, give it time to heal a bit from last years play & the recent Ice Bowl. The rest looks great to me, as long as we have some sort of event at Gulley, it would be a shame to leave that course out of the loop. I have a Mach two basket and a bud of mine has a Chainstar, so there are two baskets if we decide to get creative.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 11:27:33 PM

Only Thing with Airy and Banklick is traffic.
ADM2008
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:43:17 PM

So would that be the primary reason for running these courses at the begining and ending of the series or are you leaning towards different courses?
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:54:44 PM

No gotta keep two of the best courses in the CCS! We just have to plan accordingly. That is why mt. airy is always first and banklick is last. Also we have been going to Willies after banklick for CCS Series winners. Not saying we can't change it, just bringing up why we had airy earlier in the year.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:42:32 AM

According to Sean's post on our forum and the DDGA website, the combined BID/CCS on 6/27 is going to just be Monroe. At least there is no mention of Turtlecreek, so I'm assuming it is just Monroe. I think the idea last year was to split the Am and Pro fields between the courses if there were too many people, but it ended up not being necessary.

I'd like to see Harbin in April. That way we wouldn't have to play it twice in 3 weeks (with the Pig), and we wouldn't have to play the most shadeless course in Cincinnati in the hottest month of the year. Instead we could play Turtlecreek or Burnet in August. I know it's supposed to be practice for the Pig, but really, that course does not require practice. Anyways, Airy is a much harder course, and we play that in the Pig without a "practice tournament".
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:03:52 PM

ADM2008 wrote:
So would that be the primary reason for running these courses at the begining and ending of the series or are you leaning towards different courses?

Mt Airy and Banklick are two courses that can be very crowded with casual players, that is why we have one at the beginning and one at the end (hoping the cooler weather will decrease the # of casual players, we don't/can't close a course for a course challenge.  Casual players usually don't understand tournament play and sometimes this leads to problems, as you can imagine...  duel
T_Vincent
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:34:07 PM

I also would enjoy playing Harbin in April instead of August. I put my post up to state what we have done, and to start talking about the new year. This gives us time to come up with ideas and changes.
Seanboy1
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:20:27 AM

Yes you are correct Dan.  It will only be Monroe on 6/27.  The idea of finishing at 8:45pm again was part of the decision on this.  Keep everything on one course.  You can put 120 people at Monroe, so I think that should suffice (97 last year) I recommended to Dave that maybe Cincy take Turtlecreek for the other combined event.  You could put in ghost holes like last year if needed. (just a thought).  I also like Gulley as a combined event course.  Just let us know what you decide.thumbsup
Firebird
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:10:12 PM

I'm with Dan and Vincent on change. Though, I doubt it will happen. Personally I would like to see another course take a turn in the Flying Pig tournament in place of Harbin; such as Rapid Run, Mt. Echo, Big Ox, Monroe, Burnet, ect. Are we afraid to find out if traffic would be a problem at Mt. Airy on a later date in the C.C.S. I'm thinking casual traffic would be discouraged when they saw all the parking spots taken and, all the tee-pads occupied, I know I would. What ever the out come is after everything is said and done, I'm still playing disc golf and even if I didn,t vote for Obama I'm still behind the decision of the winning party.
Billy Page
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:36:59 AM

I noticed that the BID series didn't include Oxford this year, is that still going to be in the CCS? It would be a crying shame to leave that course out and put in a course like Heritage.
Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:35:05 PM

Yeah, come on doods, Oxford = big fun.
andersab
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 8:04:31 PM

I posted a survey concerning the 2009 CCS on the top right front page for club members. If you are a club member, you should be able to vote. If you think that you should be a club member, email me and I'll check the list but the list is posted under About Us -> Members List.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:27:03 AM

Brad, thanks for putting the poll up there.  Did you switch the positions of yes and no on the second question on purpose? That may slip a few people up. It almost got me. You're a tricky guy aren't you?
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:37:05 AM

I did that, having it on the right made the page unbalanced.  Was it really that tricky?  The title is in red!

Another note, you must be logged in and I believe a member inorder to see the poll on the front page.

discndat
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:52:44 AM

That wasn't the trickiness I was referring to. The first question has yes then no; second question no then yes; third question yes then no. When I went to answer the second question I almost answered with how the first response options were listed, but then realized it was different. No biggie, just thought it might not be caught by everybody.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:15:10 PM

I intentionally did that so people would read the question.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:18:25 PM

Brad, I don't see the survey when I log in. As far as I know I'm still a member...
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:37:35 PM

Same here....
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:30:29 PM

Fixed yours Fred, Steve have you paid this year's dues? The page has you listed as expired end of '08. If thats in error let us know.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:36:33 PM

Same here. That member list is out of date. I paid my dues at the December meeting.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:42:30 PM

Eric Simpson wrote:
Same here. That member list is out of date. I paid my dues at the December meeting.

That's my faultblush I haven't updated the member list on the website since 12/1...doing it now.  sorry!
ADM2008
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:06:26 PM

So is the survey still up? I can't see it?
mikekem
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:14:05 PM

Ok all those who were a paying member in 2008 should be able to participate in the survey. If you still can't see it and feel you should be able to let us know.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind people to fill out their profile with at least their first and last name. It is often impossible to tie a user name like hopipulsa or whatever with a real name. Simply click on the your name in upper right hand corner fill out all that information on that page then also click on manage profile and fill out as much info as possible.   You have the option on each piece of information to keep it private to the admins or making it public. 
NEngle
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 6:49:11 PM

That's a really funny poll. I don't think we ever officially had an Adv GM or multiple Am Women divisions. We voted to add a Pro GM division two years ago, and I think people just assumed we'd added Adv GM too. The multiple womens division may have been my fault. A few years ago we started to see some new women showing for CC's & some didn't want to compete some of the others so I allowed them to split into Adv & Novice women a few times.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, or anything wrong with having divisions for anyone who wants to play. Hasn't the idea of these things become to encourage participation?

One thing seems a little off. Wouldn't combining the pro masters & GM divisions essentially be eliminating the GM division? It's only been two years since we voted to add that division & I think the people who play in it really enjoy having it. If you get rid of pro GM, and force those people to play in Masters, you'll likely see more Masters aged Open played go back to playing Masters to take advantage of a larger field & easier money. Why not eliminate the Masters division & only have Open & GM?