Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Course Challenge Series Options
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:53:51 PM

Lost 2 discs and shot a 62, that was an amazing round. You should probably play open this Saturday.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:14:54 PM

2Timer wrote:
Lost 2 discs and shot a 62, that was an amazing round. You should probably play open this Saturday.

I saw last years scores......  But again, I will  chase that score for a minute.  Besides David, my $ would be too e-z for you! I took a trick shot with me this morn that kept me off of (close) tree's....once I blew thru on any hole that had a look I was draining it, but I see 6 putts I made today that I normally don't . .... been happy with a  68 too
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:34:57 PM

clearly there are several people in rec that should not be, very unfortunate for the actual rec players who do it for fun and the chance to even sniff cashing. However we all know this to be true and nothing anyone can do about it.
Madmike
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:43:04 PM

Ouch andrew that hurts lol well he did only start playing this year so technically he is in the right place i see him in masters next season and those guys might want to watch there backs hes getting good quick maybe a little too quick but as for novice/rec with the round i played yesterday and my duece shot off the basket on 11 near ace on 17 im coming out saturday with a head fullof steam hopefully i dont blow it like i did my second round at monroe but i used that as a learning curve and to keep my cool see ya all out there goodluck
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:02:58 PM

My bad i responded in PM to try and clear up my none thinking response. I did not mean him in particular, yet it was just too easy when he posted his scores and i was just casually reading and thought &&^%^#$#()(. lol.

Anyone who has played with me knows im easy going and dont really care how I score. Several others know im a PE teacher who is working very hard to get certain populations and age demographics to participate in this sport as a way of encouraging life long physical activity. For awhile I have invisioned the CCS as a great way to do this, and it cleary is.

However all the individuals I have talked to would clearly be in the rec division. Alot of them come on here and check the scores of events to compare their own scores against us. Needless to say they get discouraged when they see NOV scores in the top 3 comparing equally to ADV and even OPEN.

My only real complaint is I personally would like to see a rule where a person who finishes in the top 4-6 of the end of year NOV division must compete in the next division the following year.
Madmike
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:44:17 PM

I wasnt tryin to cause any problems and i can see where you are coming from andrew it is a good point but some people progress faster than others and i fully understand ljs point as well he would move up but he would also loose his points that he has earned this year in play next year ill be moving up divisions as well so whos to know for sure who will and wont be there when the time comes i threw at harbins course challenge this year against a guy in novice that played in advanced all last year was i pissed yup but i played anyways cause i love the sport i play more casual rounds than i do tourneys but dont let your kids get held back because of scores bring them and just play to play
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:36:32 PM

Lee.......Your tips on 5&6, among other things you pointed out really helped. ur kewl , i dont care what mike says about ya
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:46:54 PM

Novice points champion... that just has a nice sound to it. Maybe I should start playing novice so that I can practice up to be the 2010 novice points winner next year. I've been playing for 6 years and have played in over 50 pdga events but I can't keep up with a 62 so that must be where I belong.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:12:03 PM

Otterbein_discgolf wrote:
Novice points champion... that just has a nice sound to it. Maybe I should start playing novice so that I can practice up to be the 2010 novice points winner next year. I've been playing for 6 years and have played in over 50 pdga events but I can't keep up with a 62 so that must be where I belong.

i know some trick shots that might help ya
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:54:58 PM

I just moved basket #8 back up the hill to it's normal placement. I moved #3 back to the peninsula where it belongs...I didn't have a hammer and some oil...so I couldn't get #10 out of the ground...I'll do that tomorrow and move it back to where it goes. Should be out there tomorrow marking OB.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:30:07 PM

Craig, you can do 62 with the pins where they've been the last couple weeks. It is definitely smoking for a "novice" though.

I think the alternate pins are good for 5-8 strokes. 2-3 on 5 (for us mortals that don't go over the top), 2-3 on 6, 1-2 on 8, probably a wash on 3 & 10, maybe 1 stroke for both of them.
kmaupin
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 10:15:06 AM

My take on this is simple, it is not that Novice means you are new to disc golf, heck you may have played for years but how good your game is. Once you start playing competetively it is almost guaranteed you will improve as you watch others and pick up new techniques and improve your form. Looking at the past years, I see people that did their time in novice and now play in higher divisions, the system seems to be working fine to me.

If this is your first year in competition, Novice is the logical place to start, if you are improving fast that is great and next year you move up, if your game is novice level and your progress is slow and steady then you might spend years in novice, you move up when your round scores show that your game has reached the next level.

The CCS is about having fun, meeting some great people and learning from those around you.

EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 1:39:15 PM

Otterbein_discgolf wrote:

Did you not read buddy? It was from short tees and shorts pins. also the fact that he said he will be chasing that score for a while, tells you he is going to struggle to do it again. And i agree as well, i would love to be novice champion. Ecspecially after only one full year of playing ( at the age of 42), thats pretty damn good if you ask me. Also,  maybe you should start playing novice, you might WIN once in a while! Besides isnt that the point of entering tourney/leagues to win and get better while doing it? I think scorched is accomplishing that, but he still has a few more CCS events left. Good Luck Scorched! You have me interested in keeping up with the Novice division!
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 2:20:37 PM

It's like all Baby's Mama's Drama in here...

Tomorrow should be....unique....we have good weather forecast...high in the upper 60's...hell..I may have to wear a fleece during signups. Several of us will be out at Idlewild in a few hours to mark OB, mow the course, pick up some debris and trash.

Remember...tomorrow is about fun, friends, and having fun with friends.

ATTENTION: The Novice Winner is getting an additional prize of going in to work for me Saturday night. You get the incredible experience of working a 12 hour night on hard concrete floors in a super modern American factory...I keep the pay ofcourse...just kidding...
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 3:12:52 PM

EXMONEY@HARBIN wrote:

Did you not read buddy? It was from short tees and shorts pins. also the fact that he said he will be chasing that score for a while, tells you he is going to struggle to do it again. And i agree as well, i would love to be novice champion. Ecspecially after only one full year of playing ( at the age of 42), thats pretty damn good if you ask me. Also,  maybe you should start playing novice, you might WIN once in a while! Besides isnt that the point of entering tourney/leagues to win and get better while doing it? I think scorched is accomplishing that, but he still has a few more CCS events left. Good Luck Scorched! You have me interested in keeping up with the Novice division!

I did forget that they were in the short pins so I do stand corrected on that part. And you are correct, I should play Novice since I just can't seem to keep up in other divisions.

I mean I did get beat by 4 people last weekend at the Hambrick cry

Good luck battling for the Novice championship... I'll keep an eye out for you next year 1stplace
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 3:56:09 PM

Keep it up scorched, im excited to see if you finish with the chamionship. We all understand, there are greater people in this world otterbein. and you my friend are one of them! We bow to you!
andersab
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 7:06:53 PM

Attention... There will be a 50/50 CTP on Hole 9 the first round @ Idlewild.

I'll be taking $3 from anyone who wants to be in during signups...

$1.50 goes to the 2009 Flying Pig Open, $1.50 goes to the CTP Winner. Anyone can signup...

Whoever is closest (that participates) will get the winnings.

PM if you have any questions.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 9:32:13 PM

Reminder...or for some...NOTICE...we will have sign ups at Hole #1 in the morning. Shelter #3 has been reserved for months and someone other than me was supposed to reserve it at the first of the year. No biggie..we will have excellent weather all day...Weather.com is calling for 67F as a HIGH...with low winds. Just look for the white tent and the guy with a smile on his face (me)...because it is going to be one hell of a day for disc golf.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:52:21 AM

ur right Lee, today is gonna be insane beautiful....I am stoked! appreciate it ex-money, n/p otterbein....lets disc.

DanH
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:09:59 PM

Scores are up!
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:30:03 PM

DanH wrote:
Scores are up!

what a day....thanks dan. Mike, I made it home....thank you! Gabe and Will, I have your winnings.   Billy Page,  CHUCK NORRIS wants your arm!!

hail naw

Madmike
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:42:05 PM

hell of a round fellas i came out and suprised myself for as poorly as i played i ended up well i know i could have thrown two mid sixty rounds but still i had a gret time LJ glad you made it home well done today you deserved to win after the incredible round you threw
BasketcasE
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:38:02 AM

Additional comments: Attention: Sandbaggers, help the sport, help yourself - move up. Additional information can be found at www.kenclimo.com

Great advice from a great player.
topherb
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:20:42 AM

played a third round yesterday after idle ccs and lost my car keys between 1and 11. Holla if found!
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 5:42:35 PM

I would like to thank everyone for coming out to Idlewild yesterday. It was a beautiful day and a wonderful day of disc golf. I would like to thank Eric Simpson for being the Co-TD...helping with sign ups...making board cards, filling out score cards, counting scores, and much more. I would like to thank Kevin Brashear for mowing the course all the time...but especially Friday and EARLY Saturday morning. The course looked amazing. I've never seen it look so sweet....which means I need to also thank each and every one of the Adopt-A-hole gang and everyone else that helps maintain this great course.

Continuing :)...I would like to thank Dave Marlow for his behind the scenes help and guidance and just being a great guy. Thanks to Chad Harrod for grabbing me some Subway during lunch when I couldn't leave while performing my TD duties. Thanks to Jim Ferrara who brought some hot wings and fries back for me as well..which I ate too. Thanks to Eric's wife Laurie who also gave me some fruit snacks..that I ate also. Thanks to Brad Anderson for doing some fundraising CTP action for the Flying Pig.

And thanks to everyone for being great, showing up, having fun, and enjoying a beautiful cool day in July at one of the world's premier disc golf courses.