Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Course Challenge Series Options
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:18:35 PM

Thanks for the explanation and I am overjoyed to hear the main motivation was FUN. I hope I will be able to play, and you're right, it sounds like fun.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:44:00 PM

Shelter #11 & the overlook shelter are both reserved for the Harbin Course Challenge. Many thanks to Fairfield Parks & Rec for supporting us by donating shelter use!
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:58:02 PM

I have to agree with Holly. BID's and CC's are going to overlap, nothing we can do about that. But I hate seeing a course challenge on the same day as a PDGA event so close by. Even though Banklick is the CCS finale, I will be at the Englewood C-Tier that day in Dayton. Heck, Englewood is a closer drive than Banklick for me anyways.
ADM2008
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:04:56 PM

Wow, Fairfield donated a shelter, that almost makes up for those park nazi's....almost.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:15:17 PM

They are donating $500 worth of shelters to tournaments this year... at least.
Seanboy1
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 11:28:13 AM

I also have to agree with Holly and DanH on this one, not the tight schedule, but the courtesy issue.  Yes things may overlap, but if we can't work together than nothing will change.  I suggested to Dave that we could move one of our BIDS to the Sunday and Cincy could move one of theirs to that Sunday.  This way noone will have to choose which one to play and both parties have come to a compromise.  FYI I have made sure to do this in the past to make way for Cincy and C-bus events.  Another issue I am having is with the fact that the PIG was scheduled on top of our BID Finale at Eastwood after our schedule was put out.  I know it is a PDGA event, but Eastwood is played only once per year and scheduling is paramount to the Metroparks.  When making the schedule I made sure to stay away from the PIG weekend last year, but come to find out that the date changed after our schedule was put in place.  In addition the Finale is worth double points and cannot be dropped from your point totals.  I know some who will not go to the PIG because of this, but others who will because the enjoy that tourney.

In addition, the situation with Cincy's Finale being played on the same day as the Stillwater Open after it's schedule was put in place confuses me.  Dan H said he was going to be in Dayton for this and I believe that others might do the same.  If we can't work together somewhat, then it makes no difference what day our events are scheduled since we will both be "doing our own thing"
Sorry if I rambled on too much, but I just had to give my two cents on this.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 3:24:44 PM

Don't make your schedule out so early, and less changes will have to be made!

I'm not the ccs director but we are discussing some other options, and I or someone else will let you know real soon Sean.
TMILLER
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 3:48:33 PM

I am a Dayton Club officer and player who enjoys playing events from both Dayton and Cincinnati. I play mostly Dayton stuff, but I always try and hit the Oxford CCS event, and I alternate between the Flying Pig and Wright Brothers Open every other year. I was also a big proponent for implementing the combined BID/CCS events which FINALLY happened last year, and were a great success in terms of turn-out. I love the fact that our two disc golf communities are afforded so many wonderful opportunities. Now, I understand that there may be some overlap that cannot be avoided. But I know that in the past, the Dayton club has worked with the Cincinnati club in changing dates in order to accommodate the maximum amount of tournaments, i.e. choices, afforded the disc golf community. We should really try and work together and make this happen, change a couple of over-lapping dates to Sunday, and not just throw our hands up and say, "Oh, well." What is puzzling to me is that when the two clubs have been working the two series together with the combined events, we are now going to schedule over the top of one another? Especially troubling to me is scheduling the Flying Pig over the BID Finale, which is a bit of a slap in the face to us here in Dayton. This was my year to play the Flying Pig, but now I have to pick between it and the BID finale...guess I can't play in the Pig this year..."oh, well".
TMILLER
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:03:14 PM

matthew_blakely wrote:
Don't make your schedule out so early, and less changes will have to be made! I'm not the ccs director but we are discussing some other options, and I or someone else will let you know real soon Sean.

Matt, so you are saying that in order to have less conflict and confusion, get our schedule out LATER?

mikekem
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:04:05 PM

I can see both sides of this arguement but I have to reiterate Matt's comment about how the schedules are made.  Making your schedule before January leaves us holding the bag shuffling our feet to accomdate Dayton.  There is no communication between the clubs about scheduling.  

I understand that Englewood parks may limit your dates but Fairfield and other parks may not give us much lattitude either.  It goes both ways. 
TMILLER
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:24:27 PM

mikekem wrote:
I can see both sides of this arguement but I have to reiterate Matt's comment about how the schedules are made.  Making your schedule before January leaves us holding the bag shuffling our feet to accomdate Dayton.  There is no communication between the clubs about scheduling.  

I understand that Englewood parks may limit your dates but Fairfield and other parks may not give us much lattitude either.  It goes both ways. 

Mike, we have always communicated our schedule to your club well in advance, as we have this year, and our BID schedule has maintained pretty much the same weekends for some years now. It's not like we come out with radical new schedules every year. The fact is, if there were conflicts with your schedule, let's extend some courtesy and communicate, and work toward consensus before arriving at a final decision.  Indications are that these schedules are not etched in stone as yet, and communication is taking place to correct these conflicts, so that is good.

Less conflict = more choices = better disc golf community.
andersab
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:52:09 PM

Concerning the Pig... I support a lot of Dayton events (4 last year), have attended as many of Holly's events as possible. I moved the PIG to make people happier concerning heat, etc (seems people are already happy). With disc golf getting more and more popular, CCS and BIDS are always going to be in conflict from this point on due to the PDGA schedule. I am sorry that those of you in Dayton are not going to be able to make the PIG.
Seanboy1
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:59:18 PM

On the contrary.  An early schedule will avoid more conflicts if both parties are able to communicate.  I have, numerous times, sent our list of dates out before posting them and get little or response.  What response I get is that it's too early to put that out.  I made a suggestion about moving to a Sunday.  Keep in mind that there are two days in the weekend. 

An early schedule is a prepared schedule.  We all know when our local PDGA events are going to be and we schedule around them accordingly.  That is the reason for almost identical schedules for '07, '08 and '09.

I hope I am not creating any animosity between us, but I am willing to work on it if you guys are.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 5:17:50 PM

I am all for more events on Sunday.
DanH
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 5:29:48 PM

Agreed, Lee. The weekend actually has two days in it, might as well use them both.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 5:36:16 PM

I said there was talk going on about it. I don't know what the final outcome will be at this point. Just wait and see, and than rant and rave.

mikekem
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 6:32:52 PM

TMILLER wrote:

Mike, we have always communicated our schedule to your club well in advance, as we have this year, and our BID schedule has maintained pretty much the same weekends for some years now. It's not like we come out with radical new schedules every year. The fact is, if there were conflicts with your schedule, let's extend some courtesy and communicate, and work toward consensus before arriving at a final decision.  Indications are that these schedules are not etched in stone as yet, and communication is taking place to correct these conflicts, so that is good.

Less conflict = more choices = better disc golf community.

Ok, maybe it is our fault.  I dunno I was just making asumptions.

matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 6:36:58 PM

When you schedule so early in the year, you take away a lot of good dates. It wasn't as big a deal when the dayton club had 4-5 events. Now Dayton has more Bid Events than ever and multiple pdga events. It is a good thing overall but with so many events so close, there are bound to be some overlaps.

If we try to schedule around all the clubs around us, Dayton, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, and Chillicothe we would be stuck with Sundays all year, and late and early in the year dates. Nothing good to us at all. You stick us in bind by scheduling so early. I guess we are the bad guys for not just taking the scraps of dates and being happy with them. Sorry!

Like I said things are being discussed.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 6:37:48 PM

Patience!
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 7:50:19 PM

My two cents: Any PDGA event shall always have priority over any other local events. Just how I play. Any rescheduling can easily be accomplished by simple communication. Remember we are here to have fun.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 7:54:43 PM

The final CCS event is what is being discussed right now. Patience. Thanks for your input, Mr.Jones!
NEngle
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 9:18:46 PM

$.02: Drop the November CCS altogether. Adjust the schedule to include Banklick some other time, and roll with 8 (instead of nine) events.
Holly W
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:48:11 AM

I think the primary message has been lost in translation....

* Everyone agrees that BID and CCS dates will overlap (few dates, too many events)
* The BID finale will be moved due to the Pig being on the same weekend in return we are hoping the cincy club will offer the same courtesy and adjust the CCS finale....
Firebird
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:11:56 AM

Thanks for adding Rapid Run and, for moving Mt.Airy and Harbin to different dates. I believe the club does a very good job and they listen. I think there is an old saying that goes something like this, " you can't please some of the people all the time but, you can please all the people some of the time.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:10:29 AM

One solution would be for Dayton to offer to wait until after Cincinnati publishes their schedule (at least in alternate years) before finalizing their dates...