Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Course Challenge Series Options
Liz
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:26:30 PM

Once again, we will be selling lunch at the Course Challenge to raise $ for the Bluegrass Open. $6 gets you a burger with the fixings, chips, a cookie and a drink. Help support the Bluegrass Open!!
discndat
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 10:15:17 AM

Big shout out annouce to Liz and Jeff and anyone else who helps out with the lunch at Oxford. After a long round at Ox, you're going to want to sit down and relax to some nice burgers and fixin's.  
DanH
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:22:40 PM

Scores are up on the Results page.
Liz
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:40:59 AM

Nice job to everyone yesterday - 96 people came out and we were out of there by 6:30!
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:41:53 AM

yeah, the burgers n such really do hit the spot.....thanks liz n jeff(labor o'love). Now to the businesshelp This is literally my 1st yr.......so , i sign up novice. @ the 1st bag tag event this yr held at highland hills i threw a 20 over on 27 holes.  1st ccs i placed 11th, aj jolly 6th and then oxford 2nd place. ok, so im on a favorable learning curve that includes grattitude and humility......never-the-less I'm throwing too strong for novice now. Not too strong for the ones that have been signing up novice yrs running.....uh yeahshocked  but too strong for novice.I knew b4 going into the oxford challenge but NOT a month ago at aj. I was still working putting bugs out. NO, not the usual bugs everyone else has....i mean actually buying my 1st putter and learning to put.   Liz pointed out that i needed a mini at the 1st bag tag this yr. I had no idea .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Which brings me to my point. People are questioning my being in novice(not you liz lol, well maybe) but if i start signing up advance for instance i wouldnt have a shot to total 7 scores for a win on the yr unless i make every challenge left in advance. So, if there were a way to transfer the scores, I'd switch to advance......but i cant count on not missing 1 the rest of the year. Talked to dan at disc n dat about it( thanks for everything always), talked to my mentors blah blah blah ....you know, 1st place in novice would be awesome on the yr, but the process is what its about to me. the dinner and the award, hell.....i could tie a bow around my neck and run out for a happy meal. I dont care about that......other people MUST win to make it inetersting to me. yes, i want my shot........but other newbies do too. I PROMISE THAT I WONT BE SIGNING UP NOVICE MY SECOND YR. NO MATTER WHAT BILLY PAIGE AND WILL SHULMAN Do lol(had to say that......love u guys but hope to see u in advance next yr. i need the comp and advanced is waiting on us to stiffin the pot and offer our arses up for the spankins, if thats how it goes, wink wink )i will want the new guys to have an honest run next yr. do i feel im gettin an honest run this yr with familiar names in novice, not gonna answer! but that is what has pushed me so hard and i wouldnt change it. not trying to change anything actually, just feel like people are looking at me crazy when i tie the runner up in advanced.  i read the scores, i see how long they've been around, where they've played well, what type of courses favor them(wooded or open, elevations etc)  and my objective is to be the spoiler. The definition of novice is beginner! I began this yr, thats why im in novice.
anyone up for idle wild today@ noon, got work to do.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:29:05 PM

Sc0rch3d wrote:
yeah, the burgers n such really do hit the spot.....thanks liz n jeff(labor o'love). Now to the businesshelp This is literally my 1st yr.......so , i sign up novice. @ the 1st bag tag event this yr held at highland hills i threw a 20 over on 27 holes.  1st ccs i placed 11th, aj jolly 6th and then oxford 2nd place. ok, so im on a favorable learning curve that includes grattitude and humility......never-the-less I'm throwing too strong for novice now. Not too strong for the ones that have been signing up novice yrs running.....uh yeahshocked  but too strong for novice.I knew b4 going into the oxford challenge but NOT a month ago at aj. I was still working putting bugs out. NO, not the usual bugs everyone else has....i mean actually buying my 1st putter and learning to put.   Liz pointed out that i needed a mini at the 1st bag tag this yr. I had no idea .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Which brings me to my point. People are questioning my being in novice(not you liz lol, well maybe) but if i start signing up advance for instance i wouldnt have a shot to total 7 scores for a win on the yr unless i make every challenge left in advance. So, if there were a way to transfer the scores, I'd switch to advance......but i cant count on not missing 1 the rest of the year. Talked to dan at disc n dat about it( thanks for everything always), talked to my mentors blah blah blah ....you know, 1st place in novice would be awesome on the yr, but the process is what its about to me. the dinner and the award, hell.....i could tie a bow around my neck and run out for a happy meal. I dont care about that......other people MUST win to make it inetersting to me. yes, i want my shot........but other newbies do too. I PROMISE THAT I WONT BE SIGNING UP NOVICE MY SECOND YR. NO MATTER WHAT BILLY PAIGE AND WILL SHULMAN Do lol(had to say that......love u guys but hope to see u in advance next yr. i need the comp and advanced is waiting on us to stiffin the pot and offer our arses up for the spankins, if thats how it goes, wink wink )i will want the new guys to have an honest run next yr. do i feel im gettin an honest run this yr with familiar names in novice, not gonna answer! but that is what has pushed me so hard and i wouldnt change it. not trying to change anything actually, just feel like people are looking at me crazy when i tie the runner up in advanced.  i read the scores, i see how long they've been around, where they've played well, what type of courses favor them(wooded or open, elevations etc)  and my objective is to be the spoiler. The definition of novice is beginner! I began this yr, thats why im in novice.
anyone up for idle wild today@ noon, got work to do.

I give you major props for admitting you probably need to move up in division...  I saw the scores and was a little curious myself.
tbird888
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:50:26 PM

Who enters the scores? My name was entered wrong (Thorp instead of Tharp).
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:38:27 PM

This is exactly why the GCFDA never offered a trophy for the Course Challenge Novice Champion - because many people have experienced the same steep improvement trajectory, starting out at truly Novice performance and ending the year at more than Novice skills. In order to incentivize people to improve their skills and move up, and discourage sandbagging, a Novice Champion trophy was not offered. In recent years, the Club gave in to the reward everyone movement and awarded one. My start in the CCS was similar in 1994 - couple of Novice tourneys with 2 discs, no bag, and no cross-step - then I moved to Advanced  - I experienced no penalty because there was no Novice  'champion' crowned, anyway.

DanH
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:13:28 PM

tbird888 wrote:
Who enters the scores? My name was entered wrong (Thorp instead of Tharp).

I got ya fixed up, Steve.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 2:46:10 AM

Thanks again, Dan, for the quick score posting!

In response to ScOrch3d's post above__ In the CCS folks should be able to carry all accumulated points with them to a higher division. Have a cutoff of must play in X number of events in a division to qualify for overall in that division like 4 or something. That way it would encourage rapidly improving players to move up and bolster the confidence of those players that are being beaten by too many strokes by folks "trapped" by the CCS qualfying rules and playing in their division. And before you say it can't be done I say -be more creative.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 9:56:22 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with going for the title in any given division. It's one of the things that makes the CCS different and fun. Most likely, there will be at least a few other Novices who have the same idea-and this provides some fun competition spread out over multiple courses. It also encourages full participation (playing every CC). There will always be an overlap of scores-and we can argue the necessity of all these divisions till we're blue in the face. At Oxford, the best score in Advanced was the same as the best score in Novice, and the worst score in both of those divisions was better than the worst score in Open...but the issue here is going for a title-and that's a legit goal in any division.
discndat
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 4:29:58 PM

You get to drop your 2 Course Challenge scores as it is. So, if after 2 CC's you want to move to another division you can and you'll still have 7 scores to try and be the other division champion. Keeping your points totals from other divisions would not be fair and it would be a little more difficult to keep track of. I'm with Ben - nothing wrong in persevering a year in a division and coming out the champion. If you're that good, you'll have a lot of people shooting for that bullseye on your back.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 5:12:07 PM

Definitely nothing wrong with going for a title, Ben. I'm speaking, mostly, to the frustration I hear in the original post on the subject. However,  if we just reversed the way we count points for the series it would be much easier and a very fair way to carry points from one division to another. Instead of awarding One series point for each competitor beaten simply award points based on finishing place- lowest score is best. If you are 1st=1 point, 2nd=2points and so on. At the end of the season lowest added (still 7 of 9) score wins, which is a bit like Disc Golf, eh? If you think about it this is the most fair way to do it anyway as each tournament would automatically be "weighted" the same since the amount of entries doesn't affect Series scoring potential. And as for keeping track of division switches ask the Spreadsheet experts about how difficult that might be. The CCS is a great series and it can improve as well- just think about the possible.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 8:50:50 PM

a chance at a medal definitely makes it more electric. recommended by Dan from disc-n-dat, the 2009 ccs is actually my introduction to disc golf......NOT that i hadn't seen a disc or a basket or thrown a disc in a basket..... (maybe 10 rounds when i was younger in my home town dayton , borrowed disc, casual, yellin FOOOOOOORRRRRRRRE and bored or aggitated about all the things a disc will do when you throw it tooooo hard all day lol). I mean disc golf like the "FEVER" disc golf (lol). I quit smoking last november and bought a disc to get myself moving and help with tension. I'd go to you-tube and watch driving clinics(thanks again matt),putting, overheads, rollers etc etc. I viewed more than i will EVER admit, but it was the vital theory I needed and off I was. I missed 8 days the entire winter @ shea stadium throwing my arm off. never-the-less, my intitial objective was..........yes, as an x-smoker I need an objective..........was to shoot for the stars. So, thats what i'm doing. again, the simple point was that people are looking at me crazy when i throw over 400 feet. i'm over it though.......ima get my head outa the way and run for 1st in novice. i do wanna clarify so that you dont think the heat is getn to me. .......I may NOT win novice. also, while the novice 1st and 2nd at oxford looked comparable to that of 1st and 2nd in advanced it must be noted that some of the advanced field didn't show up that day...dan hello, chad uh huh......and others im sure im not aware of yet that would keep me in the lower ranks of advance for another yr at least. anyhooo, didnt wanna instigate a wad of technicals but i got alot outa what everyone has shared. unfinished thoughts.....thanks all, lawrence
DanH
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 10:18:31 PM

finnhawc wrote:
Instead of awarding One series point for each competitor beaten simply award points based on finishing place- lowest score is best. If you are 1st=1 point, 2nd=2points and so on. At the end of the season lowest added (still 7 of 9) score wins.

That's actually how we are already doing it unless I'm missing your point.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:24:33 AM

That's good to hear Dan H because, I misunderstood that is wasn't scored that way. I think my main point is that when you move up with say two 1st places and play a tougher division there aren't any fairness  issues. If anything it makes the division being left by a superior player more fair for those left behind. BTW ask Will what I told him about when you move up.jump thumbsup
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:23:21 AM

Let's say a player moves up after the third CCS. They've already missed one. How do those points transfer? I mean, does he receive Novice missed points or Advanced missed points for the miss? They could be very different. One of the things that keeps the CCS going is that it's super simple, allowing just about anyone to run things. The simplicity ensures that we have a big stable of volunteers. Make it more complex to run, score, whatever & it'll fall apart quickly.
PaulDmt
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:04:43 AM

John, as Dan noted the scoring is based on place not people beaten. If say 20 people show up at Harbin for a division and only 2 at Idlewild, it's completely out a person's control how many people are there. This has the added benefit of giving people who show up to every tournament a slight bonus in that even if they finish last at a small turnout they may finish with a good place poiint.
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:16:23 PM

Lawernce, Me and my son meet you at Kenton earlier in the season and you told us the same things you stated, practice ,smoking ,etc. I tip my hat for your honestity. I wish we could improve that fast !! This is my sons and my first year. We are having a blast, meeting everyone and playing. We will see you at Monroe if not before, Good luck.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 4:09:12 PM

I remember the both of you and appreciate the encouragement.
yeah, what an awesome journey. A much needed one!
Disc golf has been such a spring board for me physically, socially and spiritually.
10 yrs of tournament catfishing gave me the mental focus under pressure.....
Just find your strength and bring it with you, until then ....throw ur arm off lol.
c u @ mason
andersab
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 9:48:47 PM

DISCfunctional
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:52:29 PM

BID #5 @ Monroe - June 27

Details:
Monroe, OH
Time:
Sign-up deadline: 9:00 am
Player's meeting: 9:15 am
Tee off: 9:30 am

Open $20
Open Master / Grandmasters $15
Advanced $15
Advanced Masters / Grandmasters $15
Women $10
Intermediate $10

Sc0rch3d
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:21:06 AM

good morning sunshine people and clear your minds disc freaks, ITS ON IN MONROE and its gonna be a scorcher!!!!good luck
StorminSteve
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:14:11 PM

Couple of questions about the Course Challenge at Monroe. This is my first year playing the challenges . The first 2 we did the entry for novice was only $5 but at Monroe it was $10 . Why ? I know the Oxford and Monroe C.C. were a Cin/Day event but why the higher enrty ? No ctp's , higher entry and less payout. If you placed you got what they gave you , a "web site stamped " gateway putter in our case. Can we trade them somewhere for something else ??
DanH
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:48:07 PM

I'm not sure when I will be able to post results for Monroe. I didn't stay for the 2nd round, so I don't know what happened to the cards, but they are not in my possession. After Dayton posts scores on their site, I'll import them into ours. Sorry for the delay. I had a work emergency, so I had to leave early.