Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Course Challenge Series Options
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:58:53 PM

StorminSteve wrote:
Couple of questions about the Course Challenge at Monroe. This is my first year playing the challenges . The first 2 we did the entry for novice was only $5 but at Monroe it was $10 . Why ? I know the Oxford and Monroe C.C. were a Cin/Day event but why the higher enrty ? No ctp's , higher entry and less payout. If you placed you got what they gave you , a "web site stamped " gateway putter in our case. Can we trade them somewhere for something else ??

I support anyone who puts on these advents.....  However, I second all of these questions and was dissapointed in the disgruntled responses to questions posed by many to the directors.
StorminSteve
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:57:38 PM

I know how much work is involved in doing tournaments and I thank those people. When I questioned , why the difference in enrty , they just blew me off. As a tournamnet director for other sporting events, if I just blew people off ,then in time I would not have any supporters for those events.
T_Vincent
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:59:47 PM

The Monroe CC was RAN by the Dayton group. So the entry fees & payouts are done the way that they do it. I do not think you can trade in tghe disc you got. While I prefer the way we do payouts, by just giving out the payouts, you do not have to carry all the discs that Dave does. Either way I had a great time at a challenging course.
mikekem
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:05:33 PM

StorminSteve wrote:
Couple of questions about the Course Challenge at Monroe. This is my first year playing the challenges . The first 2 we did the entry for novice was only $5 but at Monroe it was $10 . Why ? I know the Oxford and Monroe C.C. were a Cin/Day event but why the higher enrty ? No ctp's , higher entry and less payout. If you placed you got what they gave you , a "web site stamped " gateway putter in our case. Can we trade them somewhere for something else ??

The price was the same as usual for the Oxford course challenge. Oxford was a run by the Cincinnati club and therefore had the GCFDA pricing scheme.
If you were charged $10 for novice at Oxford it was because you were charged a late fee for being late.  Late fees began at 9:00 sharp. Events of this size are pretty tough to organize, showing up late makes the event even tougher to organize.

The Monroe event was run by Dayton and therefore had the DDGA pricing scheme.  I don't think that $10 is too much for an event that lasts most of the day.  Better prizes are given to those who place higher. 

However, I wasn't at this event so I can't speak to how anyone was treated.

Madmike
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:22:30 PM

but the thing steve is sayin mike is in masters they recieved the same discs as did the rec placing in the same as for the entry fee we paid 5 to play our novice division at oxford but at monroe it was 10 to play and in no way was we late being there would it be that the GCFDA ran oxford and the dayton crew ran this one! i recieved the same disc placing 11th in rec that the 5th place advanced guy recieved ill take a note of skipping these ccs/bid next season
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:35:18 AM

Money was not the issue !! We were not late at the either event. I quess my main question is how can I tell who is running the event ? Both Oxford and Monroe was a Cin/Day event. If Dayton entries are $10 then post it that way everybody knows. No ctp's . I really don't believe the payout was better ! &th place and you get a Over run gateway putter . IN the future can it be posted who is running these events. (CIN OR DAY) I really don't like being blown off by tournament directors when everyone is asking why the higher price It just wasn't me asking those questions.
mikekem
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:14:46 AM

I understand your frustration and I can see that this upset you. Generally in the combined events Cincinnati runs Oxford and Dayton runs Monroe. The events are marked as CCS/BID on the front page. CCS = Cincinnati Course Series or Course Challenge Series and BID = Best in Dayton. I will try in the future to mark who runs each tournament on our webpage. I don't remember hearing this many complaints from last years Monroe BID/CCS. As far as CTP's go I would say not to expect them at every tournament you go to. We have them because Disc n'dat kindly donates them to the club. Without that we would not have them.
grant
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:09:15 AM

thats why we shouldnt do combined with the dayton ****s....
woottebs
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:32:22 AM

the whole thing just had an unorganized, rushed-together feel to it. I don't have a problem with the buy in price or prizes, as it is just a course challenge, however I definetly feel like the cincy guys put more effort into making their tournaments run smoother.
kmaupin
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:26:52 PM

I only started doing CC's/BiD's and PDGA events last year so I don't have a ton of experience with them but I can say this, not all events are ran the same way, you will find that you will like some more than others. But I commend all those TD's who do it because it is NOT easy. Yesterday could have went smoother but it was not bad, if you find that you don't like how certain TD's run their events you just don't attend them. The fact that Cincy and Dayton run their CC's with different divisions is an issue, as it can really mess with scoring if you play in a division like AM2 when cincy doesn't recognize that for it's standings. I have no complaints about how they are run but it is confusing to new people so next year I will try to post something as a head's up... I knew what to expect this year but last year I was greatly confused during the combo event that Dayton ran.

I have attended non-combo BiD's and just like Cincy, different people TD them so you see differences in preparation and such but they are volunteering their time and energy to this and if you could do it better, then get involved, as I know they would appreciate it. The combo event is in it's infancy and hopefully will get better with time, I know I have met many great people because of it and look forward to them. (I will admit I missed Big Ox for a PDGA event but it was based on that reason only.)

To say Cincy does better, not sure that is fair because last year both the combo events were rough, I have heard complaints about both of them but I still commend them all for doing something for Disc golf that I consider above and beyond and thank them.

Final statement, I think we are very blessed to have two great clubs so close together, helping to grow this sport as they do.

Kelly
Madmike
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:50:03 PM

grant wrote:
thats why we shouldnt do combined with the dayton ****s....

Im goiong to have to agree with grant on this
DanH
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:08:37 PM

I happen to like the combined events. It's nice to meet and compete with players from the Dayton club and the Cincinnati club at a single tournament. Also, it really helps cut down on conflicting tournament dates when two of them are combined. It took a fair amount of effort and negotiation to institute the combined events. I'd hate to see it go just because 1 tournament out of 9 has a discrepancy in entry fees and payouts. These are just volunteers running these things at parks that we get to play in for free. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth regardless. That said, we'll do what Mike Kemner pointed out and tag the event calendar with the club that is running the CCS/BID for our players with more discriminating taste in club tournaments.
grant
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:14:53 PM

i have been to alot of CCS and not just cincy's....dayton is a bunch of laid back people and take there time like women...indy has good tourny's and good payouts..so if its all about the money and all about the payout..looks like it is time to travel more.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:18:17 PM

HEY MIKE!!!!!!In my award bag was a can of woop ass "disc throwing skillz". Since I'm fully stocked you can have mine. I know, I know....tears n more tears. my advice, think idle wild.

ps......scores? Dan ALWAYS has our scores up b4 i get home and showered from a challenge, TY DAN seriously......BUT dayton must be waiting on business hours.
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:36:54 PM

That's because Dan is The Man.

Also, to anyone interested...i'll be holding my 'Beginners Guide To Idlewild: How to shoot 950 rated rounds as an 800 golfer' classes at Idlewild tomorrow all day. I'll be there around 1pm. I'll guarantee that for the July 18th CCS at Idlewild you will shoot better than you ever have...simply follow the advice of an 800 golfer that happens to have a higher rating due almost solely to magical rounds at Idlewild.
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:08:13 AM

Sc0rch3d wrote:
HEY MIKE!!!!!!In my award bag was a can of woop ass "disc throwing skillz". Since I'm fully stocked you can have mine. I know, I know....tears n more tears. my advice, think idle wild. ps......scores? Dan ALWAYS has our scores up b4 i get home and showered from a challenge, TY DAN seriously......BUT dayton must be waiting on business hours.

We might be waiting for a little while for Dayton to put scores up on their site. Currently the most recent results are from BID #2 which took place April 25th (Monroe was #5)...
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 6:12:53 AM

U N B E L I E V A B L E . .. . . . . I mean really?! With all the interest out there growing in disc golf I know there are tons of people in dayton that would love to do SOMETHING WITH OUR SCORES THAT MAKES SENSE!!!!! like post'em!Dayton........
ps. tired of hearing how HARD TD'ing events are........stone work in 90 degree heat all day is hard, going to hell is hard, raising this 2 and a half week old baby IN A TOUGH ECONOMY is hard. . If you take on the challenge it should be assumed and accepted that its a labor of love that includes "SOME" service......ITS DISC GOLF FOR GODS SAKE! OH NO DOUBT, i APPRECIATE IT GREATLY AND WILL JUMP IN ANY CHANCE I GET. i certainly wont feel that is above and beyond....if you play disc golf td'ing it is an option....you either want to or not. People shouldn't (not ) go back if they dont like it......we can fix it duh! The td's should listen and manage....thats going the extra mile , but not beyond! Its what we want and need to avoid this bs. in the mean time....if I ever get an opportunity i certainly dont want people telling everyone what a whopper, dirty, tough job i had!  People that view that as tough should stear away from doing it......and there isnt a counter point to that fundamental fact. off to idle wild
Madmike
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 7:20:03 AM

are you startin already i aint even had coffee yet!!!
mikekem
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 7:37:04 AM

Sc0rch3d wrote:
U N B E L I E V A B L E . .. . . . . I mean really?! With all the interest out there growing in disc golf I know there are tons of people in dayton that would love to do SOMETHING WITH OUR SCORES THAT MAKES SENSE!!!!! like post'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dayton........if you wanna be lazy then i will WALK there and pick up the scores!
ps. tired of hearing how HARD TD'ing events are........stone work in 90 degree heat all day is hard, going to hell is hard, raising this 2 and a half week old baby IN A TOUGH ECONOMY is hard.......get over it! yes, i'm specifically talking to anyone who says that . If you take on the challenge it should be assumed and accepted that its a labor of love that includes "SOME" service......ITS DISC GOLF FOR GODS SAKE! OH NO DOUBT, i APPRECIATE IT GREATLY AND WILL JUMP IN ANY CHANCE I GET. i certainly wont feel that is above and beyond....if you play disc golf td'ing it is an option....you either want to or not. People shouldn't (not ) go back if they dont like it......we can fix it duh! The td's should listen and manage....thats going the extra mile , but not beyond! Its what we want and need to avoid this bs. in the mean time....if I ever get an opportunity i certainly dont want people telling everyone what a whopper, dirty, tough job i had!  People that view that as tough should stear away from doing it......and there isnt a counter point to that fundamental fact. off to idle wild

Unbelievable, I'm not sure if you are being facious or not but in case you are not you should probably be careful whose toes you step on.  If TD'ing is so easy we wouldn't be having this whole flaming conversation about Monroe would we? There are usually only a handful of club members that volunteer to TD.  I'm restraining myself from saying anymore on that topic, I'm sure you expected this sort of response with what you said anyway.

With that being said however the TD should listen and explain when neccessary.
andersab
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 7:49:02 AM

Sc0rch3d wrote:
U N B E L I E V A B L E . .. . . . . I mean really?! With all the interest out there growing in disc golf I know there are tons of people in dayton that would love to do SOMETHING WITH OUR SCORES THAT MAKES SENSE!!!!! like post'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dayton........if you wanna be lazy then i will WALK there and pick up the scores!
ps. tired of hearing how HARD TD'ing events are........stone work in 90 degree heat all day is hard, going to hell is hard, raising this 2 and a half week old baby IN A TOUGH ECONOMY is hard.......get over it! yes, i'm specifically talking to anyone who says that . If you take on the challenge it should be assumed and accepted that its a labor of love that includes "SOME" service......ITS DISC GOLF FOR GODS SAKE! OH NO DOUBT, i APPRECIATE IT GREATLY AND WILL JUMP IN ANY CHANCE I GET. i certainly wont feel that is above and beyond....if you play disc golf td'ing it is an option....you either want to or not. People shouldn't (not ) go back if they dont like it......we can fix it duh! The td's should listen and manage....thats going the extra mile , but not beyond! Its what we want and need to avoid this bs. in the mean time....if I ever get an opportunity i certainly dont want people telling everyone what a whopper, dirty, tough job i had!  People that view that as tough should stear away from doing it......and there isnt a counter point to that fundamental fact. off to idle wild

Why don't you run your own event and stop complaining about local disc golf VOLUNTEERS and events.  You don't have to show up...

Remember that CCS/BIDs, are just for fun and newbs.  If you want a whole lot of structure, play PDGA tournaments.

And no one cares about your job or how hard you have it, everyone is in the same boat in this economical times.
topherb
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:14:55 AM

Yeah thats smart tell everyone to **** off when they express what more than half of everyone there felt and wanted to say. telling someone to not show because they have an issue is dumb. If you said that everytime someone spoke there mind about something in disc golf you wouldn't have a tourney at all!!! If GCFDA does a bid with dayton next year I along with many others will not show.Besides I hardly seen anyone from dayton there, mostly cincy gcfda peeps!The prizes were sh*t and I bet most of them were in the garbage can by the time they got home.I'ts kind of messed up if some of us are forced to take a drop there next year just because it's dayton ran.See you at Idle
andersab
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:45:14 AM

topherb wrote:
Yeah thats smart tell everyone to **** off when they express what more than half of everyone there felt and wanted to say. telling someone to not show because they have an issue is dumb. If you said that everytime someone spoke there mind about something in disc golf you wouldn't have a tourney at all!!! If GCFDA does a bid with dayton next year I along with many others will not show.Besides I hardly seen anyone from dayton there, mostly cincy gcfda peeps!The prizes were sh*t and I bet most of them were in the garbage can by the time they got home.I'ts kind of messed up if some of us are forced to take a drop there next year just because it's dayton ran.See you at Idle

I didn't say that he can't speak his mind but if all you are going to do is talk then don't.  We need more people to step up and run CCS events.  Its hard when the same two hand fulls of people run and organize everything (as Mike said).  Its great to get a break and run a joint event with Dayton and have others be responsible.  If we had more people join the club, attend meetings, organize, run CCS's then that would be great too.

All of us get burned out with the organization stuff of DG, we need more fresh blood.  If you want to change things, then go to meetings, vote, make motions, etc. (STEP UP)  Actions speak louder than words.
mikekem
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:51:09 AM

Did I miss something? Scorched was basically giving everyone who has TD'd a slap in the face, Cincy TD's included. I take offense to those comments. If you don't want to go to the Dayton run CCS/BID next year that's your choice. You guys are preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned.
andersab
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 9:40:01 AM

mikekem wrote:
Did I miss something? Scorched was basically giving everyone who has TD'd a slap in the face, Cincy TD's included. I take offense to those comments. If you don't want to go to the Dayton run CCS/BID next year that's your choice. You guys are preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned.

That is the way that I took it also Mike.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 11:24:57 AM

keep it cool yal..... seriously. i honored cincy for smooth service.....did I NOT????????? then what did YOU read????????? all I was irritated about is the fact that dayton doesnt even have their 3rd BID posted and are NOW ON the 5th. so our scores are lost in space for now. oh, im sure dan h will take care of it as always on this end.....WHICH I PRAISED AND AM DOING IT AGAIN. but with the other issues that people were discussing about the payouts(which i dont care about) , the TD's being cast-offish(which i dont care about)...etc AND NOW THE SCORES..... ITS THE ONLY THING I CARE ABOUT.... im in a tight race for 1st on the novice card.....so im anxious. if i have to wait a week to figure out the scores it will compromise my analysis toward idle wild....thats an issue to me.....yes, i play based on what the current situation is.....not even gonna explain my reason(it has been working), but its mine.....can i please sir complain about that. loosely ofcourse