Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

East Side of Cincinnati inside 275 Options
nienaber
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:58:01 PM

Has there every been any thoughts of putting a course in that area? I work in Blue Ash and one day at work I thought hey maybe I can play on my lunch break somewhere so I jumped on cincinnatidiscgolf.com and noticed that the closest course was St. Bernard or Winton Woods and those are a half hour away.  So I thought I might ask all you veterans of the area since this is my first year in Cincinnati if anybody had ever looked around the Blue Ash area to put up a course? Not just the blue ash area but any where over there by Kenwood, Blue Ash, Evendale...Thanks

Nienaber
cyrusf1
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:58:16 PM

I used to work in Blue Ash, and faced the same dilemma. I would always settle for some driving practice in this soccer/baseball field on Kenwood Rd just north of Creek Rd. As far as a good place to propose a course, I would recommend Sharon Woods. I am not aware, however, if this has been attempted before.
nienaber
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:30:42 AM

hey thanks I'll go check out that area I could use the driving practice more then playing rounds anyways

I have no experience proposing or designing a course but I like the thought of trying to get one put in that huge void on the map...is there a rule that all the east side of cincy courses have to be out in the boonies (not that there is anything wrong with that)
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 9:37:09 PM

Boonies are where they keep their acres.
I've talked to Cincinnati Parks many times about French Park, in Amberley Village. That would be a great place for a course - both woods and open areas. They are completely opposed to it - they fear the old ladies walking their dogs.
I've still got an acknowledment that disc golf will be seriously considered for Johnson Park in Anderson Twp.(Little Dry Run @ Bridle). I talk to the Park Director regularly and we're still on the map - but the budget and sensitivity of the neighbors in big houses leaves it quiet for now. They just beat the Township down about a monopole cell tower that would have brought $30,000 a year for 20 years to the Parks, because it upset the ambience of the area.
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 11:09:20 PM

I think we should start bugging Sharon Woods about putting in a course.
morticite
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:01:55 AM

I think if you could put one at Sharon Woods it would be as busy as Winton. I mean that in a good way...
Brad_H
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:42:22 PM

thumbsup I guess we'd just have to make it 24 holes then.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:53:59 PM

has Sharon Woods ever been approached? I (as a new member of Cincinnati disc golf) would love to help in putting a course in there!
mikejenkins1
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 1:40:19 PM

I second that motion. It could be a simple 9 or even 18 if lucky. Is there anyone who can approach them?
derson69
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 9:41:09 PM

What about Milford....Loveland...Goshen...!!!! One of these areas need to step up to the plate and get a course installed. If you look at the course map there is a very big hole missing from the eastside! How does one go about petitioning a chamber of commerce or a parks board (or whoever you need to speak to!) to have them consider a course for their respective area? who designs it....who installs it...ect.....
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:18:26 PM

Go to a parks meeting, raise your hand and ask, "What about disc golf?"
nienaber
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:45:50 PM

are there any normal feedback the parks give as to why they woudn't do disc golf? some rebuttles we could give? from the looks of it the northern kentucky disc golf and cincinnati disc golf clubs have done well getting funding and acceptance from parks
Erik
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 12:22:18 PM

I heard that Milford was considering building a course off Buckwheat Road.  Not sure how nice of a course it could be as it is a relatively small and flat there… probably only suitable for a dull 9 hole course.

Also they were comparing the new disc golf course to the successful Clermont county parks in Amelia and Williamsburg…

I doubt it will turn into anything.

soundmind
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 1:27:37 PM

I think your best bet is talking to woodland mound about developing a second course or xpanding the existing one,seeing there course is now to small,with the longer range disc on the market and being over run with players in summer months.
I counted over 100 people on course ,between holes 1 and 9 on a weekend.
by the way i bet not 10 of them ever heard of pdga,gcfda or even know how to find out about local events.
Or sence the clermont county parks are looking so unsuccessful maybie phocus on helping fix them up...ohh that takes more work than asking others to put one in for us.
perica
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 2:38:20 PM

french park in amberly village or the lunken airport park might provide a nice spot. there's also california woods park and the little miami state scenic park as well. i know that california woods could be awesome, if they let it happen.
nienaber
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:19:31 AM

I sent an email to the planning person for cincinnati parks to see if we can look at French Park. I checked out the site and it would be a great place for a course.

I will update when he responds.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:39:13 AM

Next Time I talk with Larry I will try to remember this and mention it to him.

As Donovan said above.. Woodland Mound has huge possibilities. easily have 36+ holes if the county parkd dept was given some helpful pushing.
East siders...this means you.. less talk more action, just takes one person to get the ball rolling, just don't give up.
nienaber
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:15:13 PM

i'm not even an east sider, I just want a place to play by my office so I don't have to run to Harbin when I get off work to beat the sun (won't matter come spring sun is out till 8ish)

Erik
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:56:33 PM

AdamJ wrote:
Next Time I talk with Larry I will try to remember this and mention it to him.

As Donovan said above.. Woodland Mound has huge possibilities. easily have 36+ holes if the county parkd dept was given some helpful pushing.
East siders...this means you.. less talk more action, just takes one person to get the ball rolling, just don't give up.

What do you want the eastsiders to be be doing?  Are their meeting to be attended?
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:46:53 PM

Parks have regular meetings. Find the respective park meetings and suggest disc golf. Or organize a group of fellow disc golfers to help with the meeting.
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:02:53 PM

Good luck with Cincy Parks on the Eastside. I've met and walked the Stanberry Park with the Parks Planning Director and almost had a deal until they decided to renovate the place. I've talked to him at length SEVERAL times about French Park and Armleder Park (off of Wooster Pk. North of the Beechmont Levee) and he is definately not into it. I had him promising to expand Burnet Woods to the full 18 holes after I walked the layout with him and the superintendent, but all we got out of that was #1's tee built.

They say they've got no money, but they're dropping MILLION$ on the fountain park at the Banks, Friendship Park on Eastern and the Dog Park at Armleder. What they don't have is unaccounted for money - with the City, they can do anything if they budget for it. I truly believe that the only way we're ever going to get Cincy Parks to get off their wallet and support disc golf is if EVERY ONE OF YOU writes a letter, makes a call, or sends email to the Parks DIRECTOR, Willie Carden, and tell him how often you play disc golf in Cincy area, how far you have to drive to play elsewhere, how much you would like to see disc golf in these areas. The key is not to have all the letters seem like a form letter, and to space out the timing of the letters/emails/calls. They DO count the individual efforts and it means a lot more to them to have communications with individuals than the activist GCFDA. Please do it. I send my annual letter to them, but they're tired of me.

If you guys pledged to write one letter a year to the park dept of your choice, I pretty much guarantee we'd see $ flowing into courses. But, instead, we spend thousands of hours a year playing and complaining to each other about the lack of disc golf support by parks/municipalities. 5 minutes per year (less time than you spend looking for one disc in the woods) would yield a big payoff.

I'm still working on Johnson Park - I've been chiseling away at them for years and think I'm making progress with the new Anderson Parks Director (my sister is the deputy).
nienaber
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 12:09:52 PM

good stuff! I will send an email to Willie and see if I get a response...

Did you have any idea of layout for a course a French?
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 1:42:45 PM

Larry Parker and Lou Sand are the two main people I deal with and they are West side contacts. Pete knows the East side contacts

Good luck guys, if there is anything I can do to help I will try but I want to concentrate all my efforts over here.
ahlavac
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 4:43:42 PM

I will write a letter...
wamslebm
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:24:10 PM

I would be willing to help on any east side courses. I think that French Park would be an awesome place for a new course, I used to be a Planning intern at Amberley but they have nothing to do with that park. I love driving out to Idlewild and Banklick on the weekends but I wish I had more then just Woodland Mound for my daily practice.