Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

BG May Daze Options
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:16:36 AM

Maybe I'm just getting old, and don't like craziness of a bazillion players, 5 hour rounds in the cold rain, and having to play non-descript long arm courses early in the season...but this tourney below is IMO what BG was 'meant' to be. Lovers, Hobson, White and Keriekas are 4 awesome courses because they are not extreme or super-long. Keriekas and Lovers are very balanced..Hobson is more tight and wooded, White is long and open with some OB. They are the perfect complement to one another. BG ams-for all it's greatness, has needed to use a lot more courses to accomodate the huge fields. While Franklin is a great course, it's really long, and 20 miles out of town-Phil Moore just stinks.

I'm glad that the BG folks are having another tourney that uses these great courses. The fact that it's in May and only has 2 divisions makes it even more attractive.

http://bgdgclub.com//content/view/90/1/
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:56:39 AM

Right now my choice would be the May Daze tourny. I still have several issues with how they ran the BG ams the past 2 years.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:16:32 PM

Yeah, I am up for this one for sure... BG Ams is just too much hassle.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:06:12 PM

Ben, I think you're backwards on Franklin & Phil Moore. Franklin is a waste. I enjoyed Phil Moore the more I got to play it. Yea, BG ams is too big for it's own good anymore. They hope to attract 900 people this year, let's see if they get 500.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:17:10 PM

This will be the first year in 4 years that I won't be attending BG Ams. My ridemate and I decided that it just wasn't worth the hassle and cost... especially after making it a 3 day tournament. Now that I will be living in northern KY (in the next 3 months) I will probably go to May Daze as well as Lexington instead of BG Ams.
alexh
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:38:31 PM

I know I sound boring but I am convinced that people in BG have a wrong idea about women playing disc golf. First the payout at the BG last year....so I decided to boycott the BG. Now this May tourney that women can play if they want to.... together with men. I am sure we will create impressive challenge for you guys.... So yeah, there is a great am payout... for men again.
perica
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:48:34 PM

i thought the payout was indiscriminate of sex
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:57:24 PM

I have an email in to the TD to see if I can actually play in this event. My question is the following:

Can I play as an AM in this tournament because the PDGA says that as a dues paying member I'm guaranteed to play in any division that I'm qualified to be in....aka...ratings..and I've never accepted pro cash.....OR....am I not allowed to play in this event because it is ALSO a Southern Nationals event....and over the Christmas holidays I accepted cash in Open in an unsanctioned event..and their rules state that if you win a division..you are forced to move up..and if you move up and cash in a division..you can't play a lower division unless you don't cash for a period of 6 months..then you can move down one division.

So...which rules do I go by? It would be ironic if I accepted cash only because it was unsanctioned and I was goofing off 13 hours from home...only to be denied playing a fun sanctioned tournament later in the year.
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:09:46 PM

I pretty much know I can play the tournament...I just don't want to mess up my eligibility to play in the Southern Nationals Pro Championship later in the year...So I'm asking SN to make a ruling.
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:13:01 PM

If it's a PDGA tournament you would follow the PDGA rules. They can't arbitrarily make up rules that are different from PDGA if it's a sanctioned event. They must have a distinction between their local unsanctioned events and PDGA sanctioned events.

How much cash did you get money bags?
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:18:13 PM

heh.. $20...cost me $27 entry fee....so in essence..I won -$7.
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:40:00 PM

Alex...I'm going to put together a PM for you explaining Josh's decision on the unisex tournament....if any other ladies would like this info...please feel free to PM me and I will. Josh works harder than anyone I know in trying to grow the sport of Disc Golf for women and young girls...so don't think he didn't have you in mind when putting together this tournament....

On a side note. COME ON ALEX....YOU BEAT TYLER HORNE AT GREAT SEAL!!!!!....there...I said it...you shouldn't be afraid of any man....you got skills...just get some confidence to use them.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:16:59 PM

Lee, I'm sure the TD is looking forward to dissecting your email, expect a prompt response....laugh
alexh
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:50:53 PM

Yeah, I read your email Lee. I still don't agree with him but he has a good point. I will play Turtlecreek open instead though. In Women's division.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:45:43 AM

Has anyone ever thought of running a one division tourny in which we can use a handicap system based on ratings.
Lee, I bet you have the mathmatic mind to figure this out.
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:45:12 AM

I've thought about it. I've read about it. I've participated in some local weekday events where we were pretty accurate using our PDGA ratings and calculating the stroke differential based on the SSA of the course. However, there are some issues that would have to be addressed...such as...how do you quantify the unknown. For most of us we have tons of information online that can be used to accurately calculate our handicap. Not just our PDGA rating but a history at given venues. i.e....would you really call me an 877 rated player at Idlewild? If any 1000 rated player gave me 8-13 strokes at Idlewild...they would be in serious trouble before the first disc was thrown.

The unknowns are people playing who aren't PDGA members or people that rarely play a CCS event. What if they played some CCS events and did poorly but we host a handicap event at their home course? I feel there would be too little data to make everyone comfortable enough with the handicap to really sell the idea to more than just a handful of people. You may have to modify the system that readjusts the handicaps based on past data and first round performance. I think I remember playing some Bowling tournaments that calculated handicaps this way.

If we are going to think outside the box...I would rather put my mental effort toward a double elimination ladder tournament. Everyone plays the first round...4 people to a card...the winners advance to the next round while the losers get grouped together 4 to a card for round 2...the winner of each card advances to week 2..the rest...they are losers and out of the multiweek tournament. The winners of round one...get grouped for round 2...the winners of each foursome advance to week 2 as winners...the losers advanced to week 2 and are grouped with the winners of the losers pool...thus...every week they play other people that are one loss away from elimination...and unbeaten winners keep playing unbeaten winners until the pool is narrowed down to a final round.

It depends on the number of players ofcourse to tell how many weeks this will go on..but it could be very fun...it could be incorporated with the CCS..but it would make the jobs of the TDs harder since you have to group people differently...maybe only round one of the CCS could be this way...hmmm..food for thought.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:40:32 PM

I didn't mean to start an ideological debate, or bash the big tourney-because there honestly is nothing else like it. But these responses do illustrate the fact that different formats definitely attract some players more than others-and this is fine. If you love kicking off the year with a huge bash and raging with 100s of other disc golfers from across the country-then BGams is where it's at. If you like intricate scoring systems and arcane divisional handicapping, then I'm sure you'll enjoy a Lee Stephens event sometime in the future. If you like the current system which discriminates based on age, gender, and self-bestowed ability level..then you should be happy with most tourneys these days.

It's a free market, and since times are getting tougher, TDs will need to diversify their formats in order to make their's a 'must attend'-even if that means appealing to a smaller group of players. This way, instead of complaining about how a tourney is setup-players can just pick their poison, and everyone is happier for it. This one appeals to me because: a)I love those 4 courses, b)I don't like playing in nasty weather, c)I feel the less divisions the better, and d)I like to play tourney at close to the same pace that I play casual rounds. I'm sure others feel the opposite, and that's great. I just hope that in the years to come, there are more unique formats to choose from.

L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:45:42 PM

Ben,

This tournament appealed to me as well for about the same reasons you listed...however.....I'll be playing Turtle Creek that day for several reasons. 1. I have to work that Saturday night at 7pm...and I can hit Turtle Creek and be at work with no problems...just can't stick around afterwards. 2. I found out that I can play this tournament because the PDGA says I'm eligible..but IF I do..then I disqualify myself from playing in the Southern Nationals Pro Championships...and I actually do want to play in this...eventhough I will most likely screw myself again..because it will be PDGA sanctioned..and EVERY pro cashes....but I can/will turn down the cash.

This has started another huge debate that is just getting started...when multiple organizations are involved in the same tournament...you have more rules...more limitations....more hoops to jump thru and more i's to dot and t's to cross...it is going to get very confusing.

I think many of us here really just like to get out of the car and throw some discs...here's some cash...let me throw...just don't screw me over with some hidden BS and make it fun.
skeezer1
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:36:01 PM

Hey Folks,

Just reading thru the board and it makes me smile for several reasons. 1 Phil Moore..... is crap! 2 Franklin..... almost crap (dam close to crap) it is just boring...long! 3 For years I have said that BG am Open's pay out SUCKS (for years they have robbed the AM div. to pay for the Pro Weekend). Yes, this is known. 4 There is no perfect way to separate players into divisions ( I am the perfect example). Some could say that I take advantage of the system. Yes, in a way maybe; but ask the people that know me, I give dam near everything away even the baskets. I don't want to waste alot of money playing Pro. With as little as I play, I choose the ADV mens to have fun, cut down on cost, meet the people that can devote their time and are the new and upcomming players, play the few tourneys that help me re-live the old days, visit with old friends, and this is the reward that I get from the not so..... good payout. I have come to learn that playing for fun means playing for fun. The entry fee is my payment for those that put thier work into a tourney so that I can go from one course to the next, the next, and the next and see how I finished to drive home and smile about the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, & sometimes the 7th shot on the 8th HOLE at which ever course that kicked my azz(ss), All to laugh! If your not Playing for the JOY, then congratulations, you are one of those devoting your time to become the NEW & UPCOMMING Stars of disc golf. Some of us just enjoy the level we are at and like the battle we have with you during your beginning stages of your soon to be Pro Careers. I like to feel that I have helped by teaching other disc golfers along my way at least 1 thing that will propel them to the level thier HEART Desires. I hope to see many of the same faces this year at the BG AM weekend, because there are many in this area that are on the edge of GREATNESS...... "Don't loose your "NESS""! Screw the payout come for the friendships and fun. Anything can happen with that many people. It may be your time to Shine!

Hope to see you at my 1 tourney of the year, let's have fun!
Marc Estenfelder
zac
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:05:54 PM

screw the payout, im gonna give BG ams another shot. maybe things wont be perfect, but ill have a good time with other columbus guys. hopefully some cinci boys show too. may days sounds great too, but im only gonna drive there once in the year, and i think its a fun way to start off the season, with crazy amounts of people playing crazy amounts of DG. but i definitely understand the put offs and frustration with how things have gone in the past. seems like turtlecreek is worth saving that weekend for anyway.
skeezer1
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:14:47 PM

That's what I'm talking about. Go for the adventure of Disc Golf, Friendship, and Competition. Screw the pay out, it can't get any worse.

Marc
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:46:33 PM

I hear ya guys. Anyone who plays this game for the monetary/material benefits has chosen the wrong sport. Not that it doesn't feel absolutely great to throw a smokin' round and lay the competition to waste (that is-I hear that it feels great)...but if you're not having fun-then what's the point?
HBC
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:26:36 PM

Hopefully the BG club learned from past and corrected items for 2009. We do listen, and last year I played and never even got my prize due to the cluster fXXX at the end of the night.

A few of us have been working very hard to makethis event fair, fun, and yes, there will be lots of partys.

Payout, still mostly in the players pack but we are buying DGA Mach V trophie holes for the top five divisions. (better that a few disc! )

So consider coming, and check out the changes as well an the prgress on the courses (shorter Franklin, Advanced get Hobson to balance out the distances) and be part of quite a happening.

New items posted on the event weekley:

http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/BG-Ams

NEWS FLASH:
Players package to contain 5 disc, one from each
Silver Sponsor, plus other minis and goodies! A
value over $75!!!!!

Latitude 64 is releasing the Jasper Lundmark
Opto Striker
DGA will include first run Pro Line Aftershocks
Innova will include a star disc TBA (new release?)
Discraft will announce soon their product
Gateway will soon announce as well.

Check back often to see the announcements.
Register early to insure your spot.