Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Players Cup Options
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:22:32 PM

Players Cup 2009 is currently pending, with a new and major-appropriate location search now underway. Plantation Inn and Players Cup have parted ways.

For those of you who haven't yet gotten the word, here is Mike Barnett's PDGA discussion post from 12/29/08:

--------------------

Hey all,

It is with great sorrow that I announce that after 5+ years of diligent planning and hard work, the Red Hawk Disc Golf Course at the Plantation Inn is expected to come out of the ground in mid to late January.

With new ownership taking over 2 years ago, I look back now with the vision of hind sight and realize that it was just a matter of time, as the new ownership was heading in a different direction, but I also realize that sometimes disc golfers are their own worst enemy and can speed up a process or even nullify the hard work of others by being foolish and ultimately, selfish.

Because there is an ongoing investigation (with help from the PDGA) into the problems encountered during the Players Cup, I will not comment further on the specifics (namely who) of the reasons that the Plantation Inn gave during the final meeting, but here were the 3 primary complaints:

~Overwhelming smell of marijuana in the hotel and on the course
~Destruction of hotel property
~Lack of respect for course rules - dress code, golf cart abuse, overall conduct

Typically I would not indulge those who wish us harm by shedding some light on the details, but since I lost a course and collectively, we lost the home for a PDGA major, I think it's appropriate. I would like to state that this range of violations came from players, spectators and, much to my dismay, even from some staff members, but no one party is more to blame than the other in my opinion as I look at it as a "group effort". In all fairness, most of these violations were never brought to my attention by the hotel staff until 2 weeks after the Players Cup during a meeting and thus proves to me that hotel was hoarding the information to use in their case to dissolve our relationship, but I really can't even blame them.

I am currently working on several deals to try and find a home for the baskets before we pull the course to make the transition quicker and easier. This is the primary reason that I don't have a specific date yet that course is coming out and hopefully the Plantation Inn will grant me a bit more time to complete a deal. With that being said, we are also going to be looking for a new home for the Players Cup, a process that is already in the works.

I would like to thank Discraft and all of those who helped along the way for this truly special opportunity, Red Hawk, you will be missed...