Riney B Skins Tournament - Sat., Feb. 21st Options
lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:53:11 PM

Riney B Skins Tournament

Saturday, February 21st

• Riney B Disc Golf Course, Nicholasville, KY
• Foursomes playing for discs or cash on every hole
• Field limited to 20 amateurs and 40 pros
• Am Player Check-in – 10:00 a.m.; Am Player’s Meeting – 10:15 a.m.; Am Staggered Start – 10:30 a.m.
• Pro Player Check-in – 11:30 a.m.; Pro Player’s Meeting – 11:45 a.m.; Pro Staggered Start – 12:00 p.m.
• You must be pre-registered and pre-paid to participate!
• Each group will be paired based on skill level and/or PDGA rating
• Each Am foursome will compete for 21 discs over 20 holes, with a disc going to the winner of the most skins. (14 of these 21 discs are Champion plastic or better; the 21 discs are valued at nearly $350 – shared 4 ways!)
• Each Pro foursome will compete for $10 per hole
• Traditional Skins Game rules will be followed (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_game for more information). Ties will be broken on holes 21-24
• Am entry is $40 per person. Pro entry is $50 per person.
• Profits from the tournament will go to pay for the 3rd Annual Beginner’s Tournament at Lake Mingo held March 28th.
• To pre-register or for more information contact Lyle McCoon, Jr., at 859-983-4125 or at
njcprsports@windstream.net

L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:55:12 PM

Wow...there is a high probability that Eric Simpson and I could be on the same card...Be like taking plastic from a baby :)
ADM2008
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:30:08 PM

In this corner, weighing in at 175lbs, measuring 4 foot 9' with a reach of 24 inches....Lee Stephens!

In the opposing corner, weighing in at 195lbs, 6 foot 2, with a reach of 4 foot 9'.......Eric Simpson!

Letsss Get it On!
Eric Simpson
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:41:12 PM

Riney B is my house. One bad round doesn't mean you can just go there and take it from me. I've already made room in the disc vault for 21 discs. I hope there is a bunch of Challengers & Buzzzes - They'll look great on my shelf.
andersab
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:51:56 PM

ADM2008 wrote:
In this corner, weighing in at 175lbs, measuring 4 foot 9' with a reach of 24 inches....Lee Stephens! In the opposing corner, weighing in at 195lbs, 6 foot 2, with a reach of 4 foot 9'.......Eric Simpson! Letsss Get it On!

wow, that's a little light for Lee isn't it?nono
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:32:45 PM

Actually...that is exactly what I weigh...I'm a slight bit taller than 4'9"..and my wingspan is 1" shorter than Blakelys. If I won all 21...I'd give 5 each to everyone on the card....and just call it a fun day.
ADM2008
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 9:02:42 PM

I was just joking around....what's this course like anyways, is it open, heavily wooded, distance, control, does it remind you of any courses in NK or Cincy?
rangel
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 9:19:27 AM

I will pitch my two pennies here. For me. Physically, Riney doesn't compare to anything we have. Not for me anyways. But, Riney compares to Airy in two ways. First. I score about the same on both courses. Second. Riney and Airy both allow you to throw your shot, but will penalize you for bad play.

Physically. Riney plays in a small valley that runs (more or less) east and west. Most of the open holes are at the bottom and play into the headwind (facing west). The outward half plays into the wind. Right turns and left turns. Long, medium and short holes. Tight wooded lines and several wide open holes.

Highlights in my book.
Hole #1. 432'. Elevated tee looking into that headwind. Nothing spectacular here. I like watching people fight the wind. First of five over 400'.
Hole #7. 174'. One of three under 200'. A nasty creek guards the font of this pin and woods guard the left and right sides behind the creek. Easy 2 or nasty water.
Hole #11. 204' uphill. The donute hole. A BIG ring of high grass marks OB around the pin. While the landing area must be 70' across, most of the players in the lower divisions miss and take OB 4 as a result.
Hole #20. 271' to one of the pin positions. Might be the longest of the tight holes (start to finish). If you navigate the tee shot here in the lower divisions, you just picked up a couple of strokes on the rest of your card.
Hole #23. 387'. It plays down hill and is reachable by the medium to long throwers. The wind plays from right to left. The long pin makes even short approaches a bit of a challenge.

OK. So maybe that was a nickel instead of two pennies.
lylemccoon
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 11:50:02 AM

ADM2008 wrote:
What's this course like anyways, is it open, heavily wooded, distance, control?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.  Riney has a great amount of variety.  I don't think it necessarily favors anyone (forehand, backhand, righties, lefties, big arms, short arms) accept for those who have complete games.  Riney requires a little bit of everything to succeed.  So, come on down.  It's a great course to experience, and the tournament is a great format, especially for Ams.

Lyle McCoon, Jr.
lylemccoon
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:16:22 AM

Some of you may have no idea what a "skins tournament" is. Contrary to what someone was joking about with me this weekend, a skins game (in this case) has nothing to do with naked disc golf.

"Skins" is a term borrowed from ball golf. Basically it refers to each hole as a "skin." If you win a hole, meaning that you got a lower score than anyone else in your group (ties don't count), you win a skin. You are only competing against the other three people in your group. So, for example, if you score a 4 and they all get 5s, you win the skin, even if the group behind you all carded 3s.

In ball golf's traditional Skins Game which is broadcast on network TV, each skin is worth progressively more as the round goes on. Winning Hole #18 is worth far more than winning Hole #1.

For the Amateur portion of our tournament, we have followed a similar format. If you win Hole #1, you may win a DX disc, while winning Hole #18 may get you a Star disc. For the pros, each hole is worth $10, regardless of which hole it is.

I metioned earlier that ties don't count toward anyone winning a skin, and, in fact, there will be many holes where two or more people shoot the same low score on the card. We call that a "push." In those cases, no one wins the skin, and it gets "pushed" to the next hole which is now worth 2 skins. On that hole, all four golfers are back in and eligible to win that hole and its skins, regardless of what they scored on the previous hole. This continues until someone wins a hole outright. It may be the case that 6 or 7 skins (or more) are all on the line on one hole. For the ams, that may mean the potential to win 8 or more discs for only beating 3 people on one hole! For the pros, it's possible that $100 (or more) might be up for grabs for one birdie.

This format has some strategic implications. Skins games encourage aggressive play. In essence, a skins game makes each hole into its own mini-tournament. Because of that fact, if you throw a high risk/high reward shot that doesn't work out and that ends up costing you a 7, it doesn't really matter. No scores, good or bad, carry over to the next hole. And since there will have most likely been a tie between two others on the hole, you lost out on nothing by being aggressive. And if it works, you probably just won some discs or money. Similarly, if it looks like two people will definitely be getting 3s on a hole, there is no reason to not aggressively run at the basket and try to steal the skin with a miracle 2. Even if you miss way long or throw deep into the schule, a 4 doesn't hurt you at all. You might as well go for the skin.

If you want to get in on this fun, you need to pre-register and pre-pay by Feb. 19th. To do so, email me at njcprsports@windstream.net.

For more information in general about the Skins Game, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_game.

Lyle
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:13:11 PM

Hmmm do I play for cash or plastic?
lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:21:20 AM

At the Skins Tournament, regardless of if you are playing Pro for cash or Am for discs, you will only be competing with the other 3 people in your group. To make things more fair, the foursomes will be assembles based on PDGA ratings. (If for some reason a partcipant does not have a PDGA rating, we will try to place them as best we can based on our knowledge of the ability level.) This means that you will most likely be playing with people of around the same skill level as yourself, further meaning that each of the 4 people in the group should have plenty of chances to win multiple skins. Rest assured, if you are a Novice player, we will put you against other Novice players and not a group of Advanced players.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 9:04:20 AM

Online registration and payment are now up at http://njcpr.org/index.cfm?pageToken=dgReg&dgName=2009%20Skins%20Tournament. Remember that you must be pre-registered and pre-paid in order to play in this tournament. I will take the first 20 paid Ams only (plus however many paid Pros sign up). Our website uses a Paypal account. If this option will not work for you, you can send us the payment at:

Nicholasville/Jessamine County Parks & Recreation
Attn: Lyle McCoon
402 Park Drive
Nicholasville, KY 40356
lylemccoon
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:26:58 PM

For the pros, the prizes are simple: win a skin, win $10. Win 10 skins, win $100. The 4 pros on a card who pay $50 each will split a total of $200.

For the ams, win a skin, win a disc. Win the most skins, win a bonus disc. The 4 ams on a card who pay $40 each will split a total of 21 discs. In total, these discs are worth over $340. That's an average of $85 worth of discs per person (for a pay-in of only $40 a person).

Here is the breakdown on these 21 discs:
4 DX (or equivalent)
7 Pro (or equivalent)
5 Champion (including 3 tie dye)
5 Star (or better)

The later you win a skin in the round, the more valuable the disc you will win. So early on, you might only win a DX disc for a skin. But later, especially with multiple skins being on the line on 1 hole (due to pushes/carryovers), a single win on a hole could get you 2 tie-dyed champion and 3 star discs (for example).

Basically, this tournament is a pretty sweet deal. There are still spots available, so pre-register and pre-pay ASAP.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 10:54:00 AM

Remember that for Ams, this event has a limited field. I am only taking 20 amateur players. So far I have 14 am players signed up, 11 of whom have paid.

You must be pre-registered and pre-paid in order to play. I will take the next 9 paying am players. So if you have registered but not paid, you have not yet guaranteed your spot.

Get your stuff in quickly so that you do not miss this great tournament.

(For pros, I will take as many as want to pre-pay.)

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:28:25 AM

Remember, to participate in the Skins Game, YOU MUST BE PRE-REGISTERED AND PRE-PAID. As of this morning, there were only 4 amateur spots available. So get online at www.njcpr.org and sign up while you still can.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:50:22 AM

Here's another reason to sign up as an amateur for the Skins Tournament. Not only will you, on average, receive way more discs than your entry fee could have bought, not only will you have a lot of fun in an interesting and new (for most) format, but also the money raised from each card goes to pay for the Beginner's Tournament at Lake Mingo on March 28th. This Beginner's Tournament is a great introduction for new players. They get a disc and mini, instruction from experienced disc golfers, and an experienced player as a caddy while they compete in a one round tournament complete with prizes for the winners. They get all of this FOR FREE. These people will form the next wave of players, making this event great for them and great for our sport.

We only need 4 more amateurs to raise all the money we need. So come out on Saturday for the Skins Tourney and help us offset the cost of the Beginner's Tournament.

Lyle
lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:13:15 AM

Just so there is less confusion on Saturday, I thought I would explain what happens if there is a tie on the last hole. You may have noticed that we are only playing 20 holes at Riney. On Hole #20 (The Boneyard), if two people (or more) on a card tie for the lowest score, then all the players on that card will go to Hole #21 (The Boonedoggle). Whatever skins were up for grabs on Hole #20 (at least 1, possibly several more) will now be on the line in a sudden death playoff. If, for example, 3 people tie on Hole #21 for the lowest score, only those 3 advance to Hole #22. To advance in these playoff holes, you must tie for the lowest score. Once someone finally wins a hole outright, they get all of the skins that were up for grabs back on Hole #20.

I still have 4 spots available for the Ams. It's not too late to pre-register and pay.

Lyle
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:40:26 PM

Thanks Lyle for continuing to think out side the box. I had a great time. Out of 21 disc...I won 6, Eric won 6 and Dillon won 9...the highest rated player on the card got zero..and I really wish he would have stuck around..because before the tournament we said we didn't want anyone to go home empty handed..and we would have gladly taken care of him.

I feel we may have to copy this event here locally. If the club has a bunch of disc that needs something done with...aka...47 bright pink Pole Cats...this is a way to get rid of them and everyone still have a great time. The weather held off and we were down to Tshirts before the end of the round... 51F and sunny by the last hole. The course was quite wet..but what do you expect in February and near the home of beavers?

Again, Thank You Lyle.
Liz
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:46:27 PM

L_Stephens wrote:
I feel we may have to copy this event here locally. If the club has a bunch of disc that needs something done with...aka...47 bright pink Pole Cats...this is a way to get rid of them and everyone still have a great time.

Lee - if you'd like to run one, get it organized. 
Eric Simpson
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:52:39 PM

Skins was a fun format today. Does anyone casually play skins around here? It wouldn't even have to be a club event, just playing a skins format was hellafun.
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:05:06 PM

Liz..I most likely will do it...but later in the year. It may be a way to informally kick off a course redesign. Maybe Boone will be ready near the end of summer? Maybe Pride Park? Maybe another one that is in the works for a redesign. The only problem would be..it would have to be a Sunday for me to run one...because of my work schedule.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:17:28 PM

I may just have to do this at Airy later this year.
lylemccoon
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:44:40 AM

The Skins Tournament was a lot of fun (for most). The weather was warm and dry, and Riney had lots of high winds to make things interesting. We had 29 people participate. Here are the card-by-card results:

Pro 1
Jeff Eades - $120
Stephen Keinath - $70
Landon Williams - $50
Ryan Friebert - $10
Scott Schmidt - $0

Pro 2
Darell Motley - $80
Carl Chiles - $70
Adam Jones - $50
Chad Harrod - $0

Am 1
Vance Girten - 10 discs
James Robinson - 7
Jay Embree - 4

Am 2
Dillon Nickell - 9
Eric Simpson - 6
Lee Stephens - 6
James Zimmerman - 0

Am 3
James Bradford - 13
Ricky Spaulding - 6
Albert Mitchell - 1
Jeff Smith - 1

Am 4
Colin Nickell - 11
Jim Sparrow - 5
Lyle McCoon - 5
Rob Cetrulo - 0

Am 5
Jerry Honaker - 13
Darryl Rollins - 4
Jacob Pirkle - 2
Bobby Norris - 2

lylemccoon
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:51:54 AM

Those were the results. Now for the commentary.

I appreciate the positive reviews from Lee Stephens, Eric Simpson, and Adam Jones.  Thanks for supporting another one of my tournaments, like always, Cincinnati.

The big winners were Jeff Eades, James Bradford, and Jerry Honaker who each won 12 skins.

The other big winner is the Beginner's Tournament on March 28 at Mingo. The Skins Tournament raised almost $200 to pay for the free Beginner's Tounrey.

I feel especially bad for Scott Schmidt, Chad Harrod, James Zimmerman, and Rob Cetrulo who won 0 skins. Ironically, 2 of the 4 were the highest rated players on their card. (On only 2 of the 7 cards was the highest rated player the card's winner.) I tried to throw a skin Rob's way, but greedy, evil Colin wouldn't play along.

The biggest hole won was worth 6 skins. Congrats, Dillon Nickell.

The most efficiant winner was me. I only won 1 hole (to be fair I only got to play 5), but it was worth 5 skins.

Funny how after all their smack talk, Eric and Lee tied with 6 skins each.  Is it any wonder they are rated 1 point apart?

The best moment was when Vance Girten nearly aced Hole #24, hitting all kinds of chains and the bottom of the basket before popping back out. The best part of it was that he was throwing Hole #1 at the time. Metal club for the near Black Ace?

The worst moment was when Bobby Norris resprised Roger Lane's role as Riney B swamp monster and got very wet.

The best drive (at least that I saw) was Carl Chiles' drive on Hole #20, The Boneyard. His driver was dead straight, got an additional generous kick off a tree and landed 5 feet PAST the basket for an easy closing deuce to win the last skin.

And, finally, to all my critics out there. A Birdie putter + high winds = ? Success, baby!!! I nailed a 20 footer for my 5-skin win and later sunk a 75 footer (Generous, good Colin was there; he can verify it.) Even the great Landon Williams was using a Birdie. It's spreading like wild fire, I tell you.

Post your commentary. What did you all think of the format itself?

Lyle