Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Harbin Rat Classic 3/15/09 PDGA Am B-Tier Options
NEngle
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 8:45:15 PM

Full details below!

cyrusf1
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 5:33:31 PM

Sounds great, Nick! I'm down for any event at Harbin. My girlfriend works in a T-shirt shop, and she actually designed a Harbin Rat shirt, as a humorous birthday gift for me last year. We would be happy to sponsor the event by donating shirts to be awarded with other prizes. Would it be called the 1st annual Harbin Rat Classic?
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:16:57 PM

That's awesome, Cyrus! I hope it turns into an annual event, so yea this will be the first annual.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:24:18 AM

The Harbin Rat Classic
An Amateur Only PDGA B-Tier
Sunday, March 15th
2 rounds of 18 (regular course)
William Harbin Park
Fairfield, Ohio
Field limited to 72 participants!!!

Huge Payouts!
The Advanced winner will take home a Discraft Chainstar basket!
Custom stamped Discraft disc for all Participants!

Advanced, Advanced Women, Advanced Masters $43
Intermediate, Intermediate Women $33
Recreational, Recreational Women $33

Sponsored by Discraft & Revolution Disc Golf Bags.

Please note an online processing fee of $2 will be applied.

Choices include:
Ghost Stamped Z-Buzzz
Ghost Stamped Z-Avenger SS
Ghost Stamped Z-Surge SS
Ghost Stamped Z-Predator
Z-Force
ESP Force
ESP Flash
ESP Predator
ESP Zone
ESP 150 Flick.

Choice is first come, first served. A limited quantity of each model is available so register soon to ensure you get the disc you want.

Check in 8-9
Player meeting 9:30
1st round tee off 10am

Nick Engle
Nickengle<at>aol.com
513-305-8116
www.DeuceOrDie.com
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:55:36 PM

7 registered on day one. That's more than I thought there would be. I'll get the list up as soon as the PDGA gets it on the schedule & sends me the password.

The Z-Force is the early favorite for player packs. Wouldn't wait until the last minute if you'd like to pick one up!
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 5:58:09 AM

This sounds like a great and well needed addition to our local PDGA scene.
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:49:55 AM

Would have made a great pro event also!
nienaber
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:12:15 AM

I live over by IKEA so any event at Harbin is great for me! I can't wait for the sun to stay up later so I can get a round in everyday! If you guys need any assistance with getting this thing set up just let me know I'd be more then willing to help!

grant
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 1:20:05 PM

ok i think its retarded to only have AM at harbin.....what about us open players that have travel from state to state just to play...we only get 4 tournys a year in our home town......and u want to hold AMs only..
kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:01:56 PM

Hey Grant, it must be a conspiracy .... really, you feel the need to give Nick crap because he isn't jumping through hoops for you? He could very well do a pro only event later this year, or YOU could run a huge event yourself. Maybe you know Nick and are trying to push his buttons but you really sound petty.

Have a nice day!
andersab
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 4:48:19 PM

grant wrote:
ok i think its retarded to only have AM at harbin.....what about us open players that have travel from state to state just to play...we only get 4 tournys a year in our home town......and u want to hold AMs only..

Host your own tournament and make it for Open only....  You don't have to make it PDGA... PDGA just likes to take a little off the top.../////////

annouce PDGA allows anyone to be a TD, with a short, easy test

http://www.pdga.com/tdinfo

Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:47:15 PM

I think this is something that has to be addressed at the next club meeting. If Nick is running this event for Nick, no problem. But, if club members are helping out and he's using club stuff(scorecards, board,etc) then does it make it a club run event? If it's a club run event than all divisions should be offered for all club members.
We want to play too!
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 7:36:15 PM

blow it out your tail pipe bud
ADM2008
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:01:37 PM

Why would the club limit itself to events that must have all divisions?
zac
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:02:18 PM

AM $ going back to AMs, i was waiting for someone to get upset ;D

Meow_Mix
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:11:46 PM

Nick...do what you got to do. If you want an all AM tourney, then so be it. Its his tourney (with some side help)...so for the ones who want it pro also, cry some more.
Just like I hear all the time...if you want to run a tourney, do it yourself. Well, Nick is running one, and it happens to be an AM tourney. For the ones who don't like it, then run your own tourney.
I would say, better luck next time pros...
DanH
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:16:12 PM

Hey, I got good news for Fred and Adam G. You guys are both eligible to play Am since you are below 970. Sorry Cox, you don't make the cut I'm afraid.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:18:28 PM

If there was a vote I'd vote to have the club participate in the minimal ways they have done in the past in non club ran events. Some of those events include some of the events at Idlewild I believe. Did the club allow use of the boards and other stuff at the Masters at Idlewild? Was there a vote on that? Just curious, I really don't know if the club helped or not. The situations seem very similar to me. Some people are excluded in both events.
andersab
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:41:11 PM

mikekem wrote:
If there was a vote I'd vote to have the club participate in the minimal ways they have done in the past in non club ran events. Some of those events include some of the events at Idlewild I believe. Did the club allow use of the boards and other stuff at the Masters at Idlewild? Was there a vote on that? Just curious, I really don't know if the club helped or not. The situations seem very similar to me. Some people are excluded in both events.

More club money has gone into Idlewild than any other course around here.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:49:15 PM

Ok, let's try to keep it civil. 1st of all it's not about me, it's about the club. 2nd anything I've ever run in Ky has always been me and someone else, very little help from the club. Occasionally a donation. I paid for one of or part of the two scoreboards the club owns. AND anyone that has helped run the Ky States or Masters at Idlewild always got their entry fee paid for by me, Rob and Kevin can vouch for that AND I have yet to make any money on a tournament after 16 years. It all goes back into the tournament or the course.
Now to the issue at hand.
Is this a club run event or not?
There is a good amount of money to be made if it's an AM only event(you can't make money on a pro event) and if the club is involved in any way it should be compensated for it's participation.

I hate to be a negative nelly but are we a club or a bunch of individuals running our own little gigs on the side? Is the club vendor at these tournaments?
That's why I'm suggesting discussing this on Monday at the next meeting.

Nick, no offense, everyone knows you run the best and most fun tournaments around.

FYI - Anything run by the NKDGC will benefit the NKDGC. More on the NKDGC at the meeting.

Dan, I thought about it. It would be my first AM tournament after 28 years of playing.

zac
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:03:03 PM

an am tournament doesnt necessarily have to make a good amount of money. if he puts the money towards his costs, the course, and makes the payout big,(using all the money that would normally go to the pros) there may be no money to be made. this could just be a good chance of a great am tournament where there isnt a percentage going to the pros. it sounds to me like this is what he is doing.

and maybe someone should run a pro only event on sat? i thing it would get a good crowd, but i dont think anyone should assume that all the money cant go back to the ams, just because thats not the way it usually happens. i have no doubt that this event will fill, and i know some pros say, what about us? but the ams that would normally be shut out of an event when it fills have the same right to play.

im gonna try to stay away from the club event/non club event issues, because its not my place, but the one thing i want to say is i do think that anyone who does upkeep and work on a course is already giving back quite a bit, even if its not monetary.
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:09:47 PM

I am a little disappointed because it is only AM, but I am not going to knock Nick for running it and no one else should either. I respect how much work goes into these for nothing. Nick is good guy and runs great tourneys, Duece or Dies are a blast. The hole club thing.....let them work that out amongst themselves.
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:14:33 PM

I was just wondering if people would be upset and not be interested in going to a tourney if they knew $1 from every participant was going to the TD for running it. I personally would have no problem with it at all. The TD should get compensated somehow. What's a buck?!? Could be a good way to get more local tourneys.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:22:50 PM

It's a good idea Dave and sure the PDGA says TD's are allowed monetary compensation based on Tier level but we all know most if not all TD's don't have the heart to take the cash. If I were to TD an event as a third party as a job I sure as hell wouldn't do it for peanuts. We do it because we love it.
grant
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 7:06:24 AM

ok i was not knocking  nick for running an AM only tourny..i was just curious why it was AM only..i love harbin and was only asking but it seems others blew it out of the water..well then hope this clears everything up