Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

GCFDA History Options
pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 11:12:54 PM

I came across the 1st newsletter I received as a GCFDA member - September/October 1994.  It is meaningful to me because it documents my 1st Course Challenge - 3rd place in Am2 at Mt. Airy (I played it blind, having only played Woodland Md. and Winton to date.  The thing I find unbelievable is that back then, there was no way to really find out about other courses except word of mouth.  The internet has made it so easy, now.  I only found out about the Club because I happened to try to play Woodland Md. one Saturday and ran into a crowded course (turned out to be a Course Challenge) with people throwing way farther than I had thought possible.  I recognized one of the players, who I went to hight school with, and he introduced me to the organized side of DG.  Interesting reading - I forgot how much stuff was sometimes in the newsletter.  But, that was before we had a website.   Items of interest: postage was 29 cents, Pres., VP, and Treasurer are completely out of disc golf now, we still had course pros, the newsletter claimed to cover disc golf and other flying sports, that stupid alien was almost always somewhere, material was requested - but the preferred format was unformatted ASCII and needed to be 14.4 upload capable, and Derek Clayton claimed ownership of everything - including graphics, publication and layout.

Note, also, the coverage of the Edgewood Electric (the GCFDA's annual Supertour event which brought in the biggest names in DG).  ESPN2, local news, and the now defunct Disc Golf Journal covered it.  Stokely tried to break the guts world record w/ Steve Trauger - 67 mph fell short of the 74 mph record.  Bamba Rico of CA won $1025, beating Climo by 2. 

Also,the Mt. Airy CC had its 1st Grandmaster field (won by Doug Aulick) and I forgot we used to have final 9's. 

Funny thing is - we used to sell the issues at Discworld for $1 (that's how I found out about the CCS), and membership was $10, renewals $5, and you could just subscribe to the newsletter for $5.

I scanned and tried to upload it, but it's still too large, so I rescanned it and uploaded it 1 pg at a time. 

File Attachment(s):
p1.pdf (600kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
p2.pdf (722kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
p3.pdf (666kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
p4.pdf (638kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
p5.pdf (465kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
p6.pdf (351kb) downloaded 30 time(s).

AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:05:24 AM

Nice Pete, I should look through my stuff, I think I may have something.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:00:01 PM

Emailed from Adam Jones - old membership form with course map, circa 1993. Look at all those courses - and how many are gone, already.

File Attachment(s):
GCFDA oldmembership page.jpg (567kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
GCFDA oldmembership page side2.jpg (535kb) downloaded 52 time(s).

AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:37:30 PM

Those were the days, thanks for uploading those Pete.
PaulDmt
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 7:51:40 AM

Their sacrifice was not in vain. 

Batavia's baskets were used to start Williamsburg.  Batavia was an great course for 9 holes and the small area it used.
Limaburg gave way to Idlewild
Pioneer's baskets went into storage for awhile as I recall.  These may have been what went to Highland Hills.

What sad is the Mt Airy results listed.  Over 50 people played but as far as I know only 7 of those are still playing.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 9:29:48 PM

A bit of Course Challenge history (also posted to 2009 CCS thread):

CCS started in 1991.

In 1993, CCS started end of April at Winton (47 players), Limaburg (30), Woodland Md., Mt. Airy (lot shorter then), Rapid Run (34), Banklick, and ended in Nov with both Oxford and Boone. Signups from 9 to 11 and start time of 11:30, final 9's if time and energy allowed, entry $5 for everyone, all divisions got merchandise prizes, and fields were small. Temp baskets were needed for Rapid Run, Mt. Airy (9) and Big Ox (little Ox only had 9).

1994 - Turnout grew and courses got longer, moved start to 11 a.m. with entries $5 for members, $7 for non's.

1996 - Late fee $2 added . Averaged 73 players per CC

1997 - average of 77 players per event (93 at Cabin Creek).

1999 - start time moved to 10 a.m., with Pro entries moving to $10, all others still $5. People wanted bigger payouts, so had to up entries. Prize discs valued at $5, too.

In 2000 - late fees up to $5 because of the hassle caused by late-comers and big turnouts (avg 68). New point system in place (1 pt for each player beaten) for series.

2002 - points changed to place finished, low score is good.

2003 - points fine tuned to no-shows get points equal to largest turnout of year +1. Seems to have worked. Advanced entries raised to $10.

2005 - pro open fee to $15.

2007 - pro open up to $20 to separate from pro masters

2009 - Courses got longer, maybe players got slower?, drives to courses got longer?, people want to do more than DG in day, and we're up to 9:30 a.m. start time. Personally, I think it's great - I'm going to be up anyway early for a CC, anyway, so I might as well get going earlier so I can get home and still have a few hours with the family in the evening.

Just a little CCS history for you. There's a lot more out there, but I'll leave that for later. I'll post this under GCFDA history, too.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:22:36 PM

Very cool stuff. I didn't get started until 02 and I've seen alot change since then. Thanks for the upload Pete.