Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Slow motion driving videos Options
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:08:41 PM

I happened across this site last night: http://www.paulmcbeth.com/.  Go to the videos link to see his drives and putts.

It is the only example I've ever found of disc golf footage taken with a high speed camera for true slow motion.  McBeth apparently has a cannon, although these videos don't show how far he is throwing.

It's a great way to see how your timing is supposed to work.  Also, observe that he keeps his eyes forward until just before the final reach back point and foot plant.  Most new players do this wrong, and their accuracy suffers.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:32:20 AM

is there anyone around here that has access to that type of equipment?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:08:06 AM

I sent Paul an email asking him if he knew what kind of camera was used. I'm guessing it was a Casio EX-F1 or EX-FH20. They are capable of shooting that resolution at 300 fps, which is about the speed it looks (10x slower than normal). http://exilim.casio.com/browse_cameras/high_speed_exilim
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 3:03:45 PM

Truly Awesome great post
Brad_H
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:08:07 PM

The way Paul lets his back foot roll under and drag looks like a good awy to mess up a shoe and a knee.
DanH
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:16:12 PM

So I bought a digital camera capable of taking slow motion video. I won't show you videos of myself because I don't think anyone wants to learn to throw only 300 ft. But if anyone is interested in seeing Blakely driving some holes at Turtlecreek, you can check the videos out at www.discgolftour.com/videos/blakely

A couple of them are dark, and none of them have great resolution, but that's the trade off for 220 fps slow motion.

Maybe next time I'll capture his magic putting ability or amazing tree kicks.
jpaul6
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:48:51 AM

Thanks for the videos Dan and Matt. 
After watching the videos, I noticed my thumb placement is more towards the outside than Matt's.  I put my thumb more towards the center of the disc and had more consistent, straight results...but no more distance.  I can drive about  275-325 ft. (straight).
mikekem
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:19:30 AM

I think matt's grip is pretty unusual. Most people have their thumb closer to the edge. I would say use what ever feels most comfortable to you.
jpaul6
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:50:47 AM

I'll keep that in mind. But alot of the things I do while playing are off the beaten path of normality.   I'll try the inside thumb for a while and see how it goes, then go back to my usual...time will tell.