Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Kentucky State Singles Championships at Idlewild Options
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:03:35 AM

Have Fun, folks! I'll be back for DnD and the summer schedule.
lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:50:57 AM

The Lexington Open XI is throwing in a CTP for each of the 5 divisions for the Kentucky State Singles Championships. Each CTP will be a Soft Magic and a DX Roc. In addition, the Men's Open field CTP winner will also get a Champion Groove.  Plus, the Rocs and Groove have this year's Lexington Open stamp on them, a little preview for next week.

Can't wait to lose to you all on Saturday.

Lyle
KevinB
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:50:45 PM

Lee and I will be out at shelter number three (tournament headquarters) tomorrow evening if anyone wants to come through and do a early check in while playing practice rounds. We should be there between 5pm and 7pm. If the weather is crazy we'll see you on Saturday morning, but chances are we will be there Friday evening.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 12:12:18 AM

Anyone out there got a score port card .pdf file they can send me at kevinbrashear[at]fuse.net?
KevinB
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:45:39 AM

Showers and T-storms today, but tomorrow looks beautiful and cool.  It's gonna be breezy.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:29:17 PM

All Tee Signs are up...and looking great. All OB has been painted...any problems...BLAME BOB! Kevin mowed the fairways on the open holes himself and they look great. Players packs are wonderful for a C-Tier....I mean how many C-Tiers have you been to where you can choose between Champion Groove, Champion Boss, Star Destroyer, Star Valk, Star Road Runner, Star Tee Bird, KC Pro Roc, KC pro Aviar?...I mean that's just unheard of.

Remember to bring a few extra bucks. For lunch...we have a local resturant.. The Dugout...cooking up some burgers and such...good food...just ask Chad...he'll tell ya. With just an hour between rounds and limited choices within driving distance...support a local establishment and eat at the course so we can all munch and tell horror stories of that 15ft doinker that you had a brainfart on.

Also, we are having a drawing...selling some raffle tickets...it is for a good cause...I'll let Keith talk about the charity...but the prizes will be hats, tee shirts, discs...maybe even a Champion Glow Starfire...who knows? Kevin is pulling out all stops.
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:53:02 PM

Average Hole scores for Open Men...Round 2...Idlewild Longs:

Hole # 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Average Total
Average Hole Scores 3.88 4 4.44 2.79 5 5.29 3.32 3.76 2.56 5.15 4.35 2.68 5.06 5.21 4.79 4.91 3.03 5.68   75.91

36 players...1 DNF

I know there is some...errr...complaining about hole 16...so there is the number...whatever that is worth....I personally can't believe that for most of you...11 played easier than 10.  I saw a very wide range of scores on 10.  Hardest hole on the course is 18...for me it is 14 up that hill that never ends.

L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:22:42 PM

KevinB
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:34:07 PM

I put the scores up. http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=8572
I will conclude and finish up cash and such when I wake up.
Liz
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:28:56 AM

HEy....come on - can I get some love??  love  get the scores right!
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:02:30 AM

Liz, You shot excellent...I've confirmed your scores from the score cards and the scores listed are flip flopped for you and Nicole. I enjoyed shooting that first round with you. Kevin should have the scores corrected once his family releases him from Easter obligations later today.
ChrisWoj
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:23:12 AM

Thanks for hosting an awesome tournament! I had a blast! Good to see I finished 2 strokes ahead of the average on hole 5 2nd round ;)
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:28:07 AM

ChrisWoj wrote:
Thanks for hosting an awesome tournament! I had a blast! Good to see I finished 2 strokes ahead of the average on hole 5 2nd round ;)

I see you failed to mention that you gave those strokes right back on 6 both rounds laugh

Good shooting man...it was ugly with that crosswind and early cold.
KevinB
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:33:51 PM

My absolute sincerest apologies go out to Liz for screwing up the Pro Women scores last night.  I was falling asleep at the keyborad while I was entering the scores, but that is no excuse.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Your 2009 Kentucky State Disc Golf Champion in the Pro Women Divison is Kentucky's own Liz Shooner.

Don't call it a come back, she's been here for years and looks like she is ready to take names.
perica
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 11:29:58 PM

L_Stephens wrote:

36 players...1 DNF

I know there is some...errr...complaining about hole 16...so there is the number...whatever that is worth....I personally can't believe that for most of you...11 played easier than 10.  I saw a very wide range of scores on 10.  Hardest hole on the course is 18...for me it is 14 up that hill that never ends.

has 16 been changed?
L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:09:37 AM

Mark, 16 long is now played as an Island Green. The left of the green has been marked off with landscaping and anything to the left of the green...all the way back to the short pin...is now OB. If you fly over the green...you go to the drop zone located in front of the green across the creek. Anything left of the short pin...temp marked about 2 feet up the hill...is OB.

It creates a situation where ...in theory...you make the big arms think about a placement shot instead of just unloading on it....however...you can just unload...fly the green...go to the drop zone and hit an easy 20 footer...or..if you don't fly the green..and have to drop at the back of the short pin where you were last inbounds...pretty easy layup...circle 4 at the most...people that carded more than a 4 here had either a bad tee shot and then OB...or just got way too aggressive and took needless OB strokes.
KevinB
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:59:24 AM

We would like to thank everyone that preregistered and filled the Kentucky State Disc Golf Singles Championships at Idlewild a week prior to the event. You players made this event a success and we enjoyed putting it on for you.

The weather wasn't the best and the course was pretty sloppy in spots, but there were still some good scores thrown out there. Congratulations to all division winners and to Scott Rief, who won the opportunity to represent Kentucky at the United States Disc Golf Championships.

The correct scores are now up. http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=8572 Lee pointed out to me we were off on the par, but that was quickly fixed tonight. I have apologized to Liz for the screw up on her score and I apologize to all of you for that par mix up. I was just in a hurry to get those scores up for you folks, before having some family stuff to do Saturday night and today. I would have gone over with a fine tooth comb tomorrow, rested, and fixed then, if they weren't brought to my attention today.

I want to thank all of our sponsors:

Northern Kentucky Disc Golf Club Group of folks that work on courses in NKY that decided to call themselves something. www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com for updates on current projects or workdays the club is working on.

Presenting Sponsor
Edgewood Electric
939 Dudley Pike
Edgewood, KY 41017
859-341-4433
This company has been very supportive of Kentucky States and disc golf in the area for years.

Banner sponosor of Kentucky States
Innova Disc Golf
www.innovadiscs.com
#1 in Disc Golf.

The Nati Disc Golf
www.thenatidiscgolf.com
Home of The Equalizer and everything disc golf.

Ameristop on Burlington Pike (KY 18) Located across from the Burlngton Fire Station.
For all your beverage and snack needs.

Disc N' Dat
www.discndatonline.com
Disc N' Dat, name says it all.

Florence Y'all Gyros & Wings
7651 Mall Road
Florence, KY
www.gyrosandwings.com
The proprietor of this locally owned restaurant has supported the sport of disc golf in Northern Kentucky since the first time I walked in with a make shift sponsorship solicitation letter and I'm glad to now consider him a friend.

Prime Discs
www.primediscs.com

Keen Footwear
www.keenfootwear.com
Shoes For Your HybridLife
Keen wasn't able to help us out last year when I asked for Kentucky States, but kept their promise on helping us out this year!
"If you can encourage people to go to our site and fill out a HybridLife Communty profile that would be great. Be sure they select Disc Golf in the section “How I Create, Play, Care” The more support I can show from discgolfers in the world, the more KEEN can support Disc Golf."
That is part of a message from my contact at Keen to me and I believe him. Please go and let them know how much you enjoy disc golf and how you appreciate them sponsoring the sport.

Mr. Lee Stephens Lee donated a tall stack of plastic to the tournament, helped out on the course all week prior to the tournament, helped out getting stuff together the night before and helped tons on getting the final board completed on Saturday. He was a TD and deserves the credit.

Lyle McCoon
Lyle donated a tall stack of plastic with the Lexington Open stamps. Reminder that awesome tournament is just days away, this weekend.

Keith Dailey Keith went into the vault and brought out some classic plastic that went to the tournament and to the raffle. Also helped put things together on Friday night prior to the event.

Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association
www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com
Scoreport & board cards.

Thanks to all of our great sponsors!!! Anyone I failed to mention here, please know your support was greatly appreciated.

We did have a raffle. I will call it a great raffle. 100% of the proceeds from the raffle went to a friend that is raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through his Team In Training http://pages.teamintraining.org/soh/philtri09/nthomas event.
You players and sponsors helped raise nearly $500 towards his goal to help those battling various cancers.
Every player in the tournament was given a raffle ticket for the drawing and was able to increase their odds by purchasing additional ones for $1 each or six for $5. Brad Anderson was very generous, as well as others, and his numbers were soon being called to win numerous prizes, that overflowed off of a pinic table.

Some of the fine things that were raffled off included:
Various first run discs, including Star Destroyer, all new never thrown.
Bunch of CFR or Cryztal discs with different tournament stamps, all new never thrown.
Innova t-shirts and hats.

All other kinds of disc golf stuff, as well as some quality gems:
Bottle of Absolut New Orleans, which is a special edition Mango/Black Pepper flavored Vodka. Makes a fine Bloody Mary, I'm just saying.
A giant remote controled model train set.
Free pair of Keen Shoes (your choice from their website).
$25 Mastercard.
Coozie full of change. There could have been .59 cents in there, there could have been $1.59, wasn't sure.
Gallon of windshield wiper fluid.
The Soul Train 25th Anniversary three compact disc set.
Set of hi-fi tower speakers that were purchased from dudes in a white van.
Idlewild Disc Golf Course reusable bottles.
Holiday collector Budweiser stein.
1998 Starting Lineups action figure collector set featuring Sammy Sosa & Mark McGwire in package, unopened. The juice is loose.
The complete Hank Williams 10 compact disc boxed set.
America: The board game.
Craftsman cordless drill.
Big Box of 60's Soul: Beg, Scream & Shout 6 compact disc boxed set.

Lots of other items as well as the things that got the loudest applause, from a crowd that seemed to be entertained by this fat man & a dude with a moustache some couldn't bear to look at, Girl Scout Cookies!!!

Thanks to everyone that participated, you really were giving back and making a difference.
I did forget to give out the survey we like to give out at the end of the day to get feedback, so I invite all to go to www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com and leave comments on the 2009 Kentucky States Feedback post, by clicking the comment link.
lylemccoon
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 10:15:43 AM

Kevin, Fred, and gang,

Thanks for a great time Saturday.  The tournament went very smoothly, I had a lot of fun (other than absolutely sucking in round 2).  Thanks for putting it on.  The course looked great.  It is obvious you all have done a ton of work there.  Lunch was good.  The raffle was fun, although, I must state for the record, that if I had given away a can koozie with change in it, it would have been Canadian change.  And a big thanks to Eric Simpson for putting us up at his house Friday night on very short notice.

Hope to see you all this weekend.

Lyle
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 3:14:19 PM

I just want to thank Kevin for his hard work, dedication and patience with the Ky States this year. Best run Ky States. Ever.
mikekem
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 6:36:46 PM

Thanks Kevin, Fred, Keith, Lee, Eric and anyone else I'm forgetting I had a great time.
JEFFV
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:31:17 PM

Well ran tournament Kevin and Freddy u guys nailed every aspect perfectly GREAT JOB!!!!!! I also like how the course looked, and the new tee signs everyone that help did a great job!!!
Also Kevin Alex Eyerman pdga # is 39508. Thanks
ChrisWoj
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:57:25 AM

L_Stephens wrote:

I see you failed to mention that you gave those strokes right back on 6 both rounds laugh

Good shooting man...it was ugly with that crosswind and early cold.

Lets not talk about that :D haha... actually the crosswind on 5 is what helped get the 3, it really helped carry the disc up and over. Between rounds I actually used the wind to carry a disc to about 40 short of the pin up there for a putt thats what gave me the idea to go for it during the round. The winds were SUPER favorable for over-the-top. The only other guy on either of my cards that 4'd it also went over the top. Everyone else that I played with took a 5 I think.

Hole 6 was just a haul for me though. I could do no right on it. Though it was mostly the result of trying to bite off more than I should have by ripping a forehand, and not getting over on it enough. Boom, kick right into the shule and instant death. :) lol
perica
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:31:34 PM

L_Stephens wrote:
Mark, 16 long is now played as an Island Green. The left of the green has been marked off with landscaping and anything to the left of the green...all the way back to the short pin...is now OB. If you fly over the green...you go to the drop zone located in front of the green across the creek. Anything left of the short pin...temp marked about 2 feet up the hill...is OB. It creates a situation where ...in theory...you make the big arms think about a placement shot instead of just unloading on it....however...you can just unload...fly the green...go to the drop zone and hit an easy 20 footer...or..if you don't fly the green..and have to drop at the back of the short pin where you were last inbounds...pretty easy layup...circle 4 at the most...people that carded more than a 4 here had either a bad tee shot and then OB...or just got way too aggressive and took needless OB strokes.
\

So the left side of the green is ob.  Is long and on the right side of the creek ob as well?
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:35:07 PM

perica wrote:
\

So the left side of the green is ob.  Is long and on the right side of the creek ob as well?

Yes
perica
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:39:58 PM

Perhaps I should have qualified that better. Is long or on the right side of the creek ob?