Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Jenny Wiley State Park Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 8:45:07 PM

I got a call a few minutes ago informing me that the Jenny Wiley disc golf course is being pulled and a 9 hole ball golf course is being put in in it's place.  Personally I don't think they have given it much of a chance.  I have played with some locals and disc golf being what it is they have become quite addicted to the game.  If you've never played Jenny Wiley, it is a real treat.  It's a beautiful, fun, long(long tees) and challenging course.  Beautiful being the key word.  So, posted below is the info to the park director.  Shoot him an email and let him  know we are out there playing this great course and we don't want to see it made into another golf course.  There's plenty in the area, one being 3 miles away.  I'll call him on Monday to and report.  Louisville, Lexington, we need your help on this urgent disc golf matter.

Jenny Wiley State Resort Park
75 Theatre Court
Prestonsburg, KY 41653-9799
Telephone: 606-889-1790
Toll Free: 800-325-0142
JennyWiley@ky.gov
Park Manager: Ty Lindon

HBC
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:39:11 AM

I talked to the Mayor's Office in Prestonsburg, and they approved leasing the property from the State Park to re-make the 9 hole ball golf course.  They said part of the disc golf course would be in this year while they get the greens in shape.  I am trying to convence them to just move the baskets that are on the greens off to the side and keep the disc golf course as a pay to play.

But, this is a politically charged item, with a few powerful locals pulling satate polititions strings to fund the project so they can have their little course back and not have to drive up the hill to the new ball golf course.

Contacting the park and suggesting the changes might keep the course in play.
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:19:25 AM

My friend Wes Horn said that the course has been pulled out, I feel for the local disc golfers there.
adam423
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:48:34 AM

Anyone know what they are planning on doing with the baskets?