Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Riney B & Veteran's Review - Lexington Options
smthgfshy
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 9:01:00 PM

Colin_Hurley and I played Riney B and Veteran's, both down near Lex, KY this last Sunday.  We heard that Riney was beautiful and scenic and being a 24 we played it first.  All we heard about veterns was that it was good. 

Riney B:

Conditions - overcast, 15-30mph wind, 65 F
Tee's - concrete, 5'x10', flat, new
Baskets - innova disccatcher
Layout - relatively long, mix of tight and open fairways, dense rough
Beverages - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Dogfish Head 60 min IPA

This course let us both down.  Colin summed it up well, "This course tries to be good."  Layout was funky, almost unnatural.  Basket locations seemed to placed just it harder while not flowing together well.  Course has major drainage issues...many fairways are filled with holes and standing water.  There are downed power/telephone lines running across a few of the holes -- and cables too.  The holes that are through the woods seemed to be a complete hack job.  Granted there is much evidence of ice/wind damage, the tighter holes are merely hacked through the invasive vegetation instead of using what is available to create creative holes.  Maybe it looks better leafed out??  Leaves will also hide the vast amounts of trash that seems to litter the course at every glance.  Did I mention the rancid swamp that comes into play on several holes?  I won't. 

Best beverage pairing: Natural Ice

Bottom line on Riney B: go elsewhere.

Veteran's

Tee's - concrete, 4'x6', flat
Baskets - mach IV
Layout - tightly treed, short to medium length, dense rough
Beverages - Newcastle Brown, Sam Adam's Pale Ale

Didn't know much about this course beforehand, but from the getgo, I was reaching for my pinpoint accuracy mid's.  Used them the whole round.  Tight and treed best describes this established course.  Layout is great, intuitive.  Baskets just where'd I'd expect them to be. 50% very tight, 40% semi-tight, 10% open.  Some water to contend with fish in it and didn't smell like ass.  Rough is tight.  If you don't hit your line, expect to get a 4 or 5, especially when leafy.  We both thought this course would favor LHBH and slay LHFH players.  Short walks in between holes were nice as were benches, and trashcans.   If you were to combine all the tight woods holes of Banklick, the old Airy, Turtlecreek, Gulley, and a few of Idelwild's, then you have this course -- but it is still better.  Oh yeah, great park atmosphere too...could get crowded. 

Best beverage pairing:  Stone Ruination IPA - tight, refined flavors, requiring focus, bitter taste hits like discs off of trees.  If you miss your line your score and this beer's ABV will complement each other nicely. 

Bottom line:  go here.

colin_hurley
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 10:42:22 PM

laugh cheersCouldn't have said it better myself!  Although I would go again.  I should also mention in the lost and found forum that I found (at Riney B) someones Bigwheel, basketball, and several empty cans of Bud Dry.  If they belong to you please PM me.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:24:35 PM

Now that's what I call some good course reviews. Maybe the PDGA should hire you to do all of them for the Course Directory. Course, the book would weigh more than the beverages you carried. Thanks - I enjoyed those.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:47:21 PM

SOnofa i knew i parked that big wheel somewhere
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:20:42 PM

That is awesome. I'm glad someone could put my feelings about Riney B into words, sorry Lex guys.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:11:39 PM

Vet's is the bomb.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:23:46 AM

With any new course it takes time for it to evolve into a great course. We have to be patient and those involved should take any criticism gladly in the hopes that it will help make for a better course. Yes because of the topography there will almost always be drainage or swamp issues with a lot of holes. Did you guys even notice the 800' beaver damn, they made a small pond out of that creek. I think some of the new basket locations make for some great challenges. The past wind and snow storms are to blame for a lot of the fallen/removed trees and that above mentioned power line/cable which was not in use and I was told the park should hopefully be removing it in the future. I still think its a nice addition to the Lexington DG scene and with hard work and patients we may grow to enjoy it as we do the other area courses.

Too often I hear about all the negative things people feel about a course which usually relates to how well they actually played that day and not how the course actually should play or was designed to play. Remember some holes may have been designed with a certain purpose in mind, and its up to the player to figure out the best way for them to play it.
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:58:43 AM

I have not visited Riney in the early spring so the beavers may have made a mess of things but the swamp didn't seem to come into play unless you really messed up.

As far as trash goes, it is a shame that it is an issue but that reflects more on people in general and their disreguard for keeping things better than you found it.

Some of the history of Riney that I know is that the course was put in and then changed some because the beavers had flooded a portion of the course. The biggest issue I have with Riney is that it has so many pot holes from being used as a landscaping business where they pulled trees up to sell.

I think Riney has a lot of potential so I wouldn't right it off but still has a lot going on that needs to be addressed to reach that potential. Since they got the final holes in the ground late last year, they may have plans for new signage which will help the flow. Let's just hope the beavers don't make any further changes to the landscape down there. =)

It may be the case that Riney is not going to do well during the wet season.

lylemccoon
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:37:20 AM

smthgfshy wrote:
Colin_Hurley and I played Riney B and Veteran's, both down near Lex, KY this last Sunday.  We heard that Riney was beautiful and scenic and being a 24 we played it first.  All we heard about veterns was that it was good. 

Riney B:

Tee's - concrete, 5'x10', flat, new
Baskets - innova disccatcher
Layout - relatively long, mix of tight and open fairways, dense rough
Beverages - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Dogfish Head 60 min IPA

This course let us both down.  Colin summed it up well, "This course tries to be good."  Layout was funky, almost unnatural.  Basket locations seemed to placed just it harder while not flowing together well.  Course has major drainage issues...many fairways are filled with holes and standing water.  There are downed power/telephone lines running across a few of the holes -- and cables too.  The holes that are through the woods seemed to be a complete hack job.  Granted there is much evidence of ice/wind damage, the tighter holes are merely hacked through the invasive vegetation instead of using what is available to create creative holes.  Maybe it looks better leafed out??  Leaves will also hide the vast amounts of trash that seems to litter the course at every glance.  Did I mention the rancid swamp that comes into play on several holes?  I won't. 

Best beverage pairing: Natural Ice

Bottom line on Riney B: go elsewhere.

Thanks for the (what I hope was) constructive criticism.  The course is a work in progress, especially after the severe damage done from the ice storm.  While much of what you say has some merit, I wanted to publically clarify a few things.

First, the entire park is basically a large retention area designed to hold rain water and prevent the downtown area of Nicholasville from flooding.  As a result, Riney will always be a little wet, and sometimes will be a lot wet.  In fact, this is basically the only reason they gave us the land for disc golf; it wasn't really usable for other park activities.

Second, the park and course are still relatively new.  Veterans has been in the ground since 2002.  Riney was only put in a year and a half ago, and some of the holes have only been in for about 6 months.  The course will take time to get beat in and cleared.  If you had played Riney a year ago, you would be amazed at its progress since then.  But the same thing can be said for any course.  Veterans, which you enjoyed, took a long time to beat in.  If you had played it back in 2004, you would probably not have been nearly as impressed with it.

Third, and connected to my second point, because it is a young course there are certain amenities that we still lack such as signs, garbage cans, and benches.  These things are all coming but take time and money to get.  This is also why there are still piles of debris around the course.  Many of them had been fully taken care of, but then the ice storm hit, and we got to do a whole lot more cutting and dragging.

Between the ice storm (responsible for the downed wires that we have tried repeatedly to get the company to remove) and the beavers' constant activities, we are just trying to keep up with the impact they are having on the course.  You may have come at a bad time.  But from a local perspective, Riney B has gotten better and better and will continue to do so.  It is not nearly as polished as Idlewild or the course previously known as Banklick, but those courses have been in the ground since 2000 and 1981(!) respectively.  Give us another couple of years before you judge Riney B as a waste of a trip.

A couple of minor points, our tee pads are 6' x 12', not 5' x 10'.  And much of the trash you saw is beer cans left by disc golfers.  Since Riney B is a public park, alcohol possession is illegal there, and we would ask that people not endanger the course's existance by drinking and then littering in the park.  We do not want to give the park's department a reason to yank the course.

Thanks for coming down and playing it, and I really do hope that you will give it another chance down the road.  Not every course appeals to every disc golfer, and many disc golfers hate playing a new course that has not yet been broken in.  Perhaps give us another year, and then try it out again.

At the same time, for those of you who have never played Riney, many, many people love the course and consider it one of their favorites.  So come down and judge for yourself.

Lyle McCoon
rangel
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:33:41 PM

lylemccoon wrote:

At the same time, for those of you who have never played Riney, many, many people love the course and consider it one of their favorites.  So come down and judge for yourself.
Lyle McCoon

I've been to Riney many times over the past year and I am one of those who really like what is going on at Riney.  I appreciate what Lyle and the folks in Lexington are doing there.  As you play thru a round, each hole presents a different challenge or throws in a different direction.

IMO.  Riney is worth the drive.  And.  The layout is clockwise.  You just can't beat that thumbsup
bigjb
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:26:19 PM

while it is not one of my favorite courses.. it is still a course that will better your game.. so is that bad now? if its wet wear waterproof boots.. there is no further walk on that course than any at idelwild so,flow?? about the trash.. if you seen it and did not pick it up then you too, my good friend were just as wrong as the ones who left it. unfortunately the lexington area is still growing and we do not always have the course mainenance support like you all in cincy. so we do the best we can.
colin_hurley
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 9:44:25 PM

wink Hey all! Looks like we rustled some feathers with our trip report.  Let me say first that I would definately go back to both courses next time I'm in LEX!  This was NOT a waste of  a trip by any means.  The whole idea of a trip report is to give  personal views and descriptions of the courses we visited (with a little humor thrown in) and to open up dialog about said courses in an attempt to better the courses thru constructive critisism and listing things we like about the courses as well.  Judging by the response, it looks like we did a good job.  We've had many people agree and disagree with the report. We've also seen areas that could use improvement.  I hope we can get many people to contribute trip reports for local and out of town courses.  It gives folks an idea of what they're in for.  I certainly recommend visiting the courses for yourself and add your own opinion to the thread.  I plan on reviewing many courses both local and away.  And sorry to the person who mentioned that we're as bad as the people who left the trash there.... I forgot to bring a jumbo garbage bag from Cincy and I WOULD pick up trash, but there was not a trash can to be found anywhere (that's my only other critique).  I couldn't even find one in the parking lot (did I not look hard enough?)  I do pick up trash and place it in nearby garbage cans when they are available on many different courses.  I can't stand litter, but I'm not about to replace discs in my bag with trash...peace and thanks to all who responded to the trip report!  
colin_hurley
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 11:06:50 PM

injured  and FYI I played really poorly at both courses, but Vets was calling me to play again and again and again.... you get the picture.  I'm sure in due time Riney B will be a really nice course.  After all it is still in its infancy.   I liked holes 1 and 18-24 really well.  I just really hate standing water that comes up over my waterproof shoes... and like smthgfsy said it will probably look alot better when it is all leafed out this summer!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 11:51:31 PM

Colin and smthfsgsy, I'm going to have to disagree with you on your critique of Riney B. Granted I've only played it a couple of times and in dry conditions but I was totally impressed with the design of the course. It's rough I give you that but any course that keeps you guessing on what shot to throw next is a good design in my book. The long holes I loved but the short holes really got to me. Should I throw a hook thumber, back hand roller or an over hand wrist flip, forehand? Putter or mid range? Hmmm I know I can reach those long holes....Everyone has to play the same holes, it's up to the individual on what shot works. How about a forehand roller? Loved the options. I can see how it would be tough if you only have one throw but isn't it more fun when you can throw a lot of different shots. That was my first tournament after my ankle surgery and I totally had a great time. Lyle, great job and keep up the good work. Colin and Smthgsy, it's not easy designing a course and it's not always going to please everyone but I did enjoy your comments on Riney B. Maybe you should play it when it's dry, you may enjoy it more then. I totally enjoyed your choice of beers though. Excellent taste.
colin_hurley
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:10:08 AM

That's the spirit Fred!   I want people to add different viewpoints.  Thats the whole idea.  Keep 'em coming everyone.  And like I said, I would play it again (especially when its drier and not so windy).  Thanks