Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Northern Lights "Disc Golf Circuit" Options
disc golfer girl
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:22:39 PM

Saturday March 21 Grand Opening of Thompson Park's night disc golf course. Located just 3 miles west of the Hamilton Meijer 1 pm - 11 pm Bring your own discs or several types of night discs will be available for purchase.  (Including custom lit Champion discs and all Black Jax products.) Initial course 9 holes with plans for additional holes depending on interest of the course. $2.00 park entry fee per person.

Design and layout of Houston Woods has begun!! This course will have 36 tee pads with 18 baskets and will be lit for night play. Anyone wishing to volunteer with clearing of fairways will be appreciated. Please contact Hank for more details. 513-858-3472 (DISC)

One time night events. -- Hamilton County Parks will host 2 glow events. The first at Miami Whitewater Saturday March 14th 8pm. Course Fee $5.00. Bring your own disc or rent a disc from park for $3.00.
The second event will be held at Winton Woods on Friday March 26th @ 8pm. Same course and rental fees apply. Contact 521-PARKS or Jen @ 521-2345.

Millikin Park will have Grand Opening on Saturday April 11th 1pm-11pm or later. Bring your own lit discs or purchase custom lit Champion and Black Jax products on site. At the Grand Opening 9 additional baskets (temporary) will be played.
cyrusf1
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:13:38 AM

Sweeeeeeet
Brad_H
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:14:50 PM

Big fun this Saturday. Two events in a row!
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:35:50 PM

disc golfer girl
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:47:20 PM

Thanks for the article Nick. This looks to be a good place for more disc golf opportunities. We are looking forward to it. :)
cyrusf1
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 1:29:27 AM

NEngle wrote:
http://www.journal-news.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/local/2009/03/03/hjn030309hanovercamp.html

Hamilton Councilman James Noonan - Noonan's State Liquor Agency

1530 Main St,

Hamilton, OH 45013
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I think the project discussed in the article sounds great, I just wanted to make that connection clear to any non-Hamilton residents.
Big Biscuit
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:03:04 PM

Thompson Park is proceeding at a good pace. They are setting up a TEMPORARY 9 hole course that is designed for night DISC GOLF! When Daniel & Tyler return on MARCH 21ST they will design the first PERMANENT 9 holes. The temporary placement will allow Danial & Tyler to do their work without interference from active play. The actual grand opening will be determined by Danial and other staff at Thompson Park. Until then,come and play the temporary layout, opening Saturday March 21st 1pm until???? P.S. Come meet the two who started the dream of nigth disc golf 365 days a year. (Danial & Tyler). Thanks for involving me in a project that will have such a positive impact on recreational DISC GOLF!! Sincerely Hank Rodick
cyrusf1
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:51:11 PM

quote=Big Biscuit] Then it was on to Thompson Park where yet another Night Golf course is being lit. The owners have already requested help forming summer night leagues. By May food and beer will be available. When I arrived at (FTCP) I talked with Steve Fugate about plans for the 36 tees at Hueston Woods Park. He has been hired by the State of Ohio to install all tees /baskets/ and sign post once the fairways have been cleared. See you all at Thompson Park on Saturday night March 21st or any other night thereafter!!!![/quote]

Just a bump, and a reminder to check this spankin new private course out.  Its only 2 bucks!

Here is a link for the google map of Thompson Park

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=thompson+park+45013&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=17821672246567086707

NEngle
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:57:49 PM

Will the temp course be open after Saturday? I don't think I'll make it up there until Sunday...
PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 7:09:22 AM

Since Kendra mentioned it above.. Hamilton County Parks is hosting a glow round at Winton Woods on Friday March 27th @ 8pm.  Contact 521-PARKS or Adventure Outpost @ 521-2345.  Course Fee $5.00. Bring your own disc or rent a disc from park for $3.00.

Be sure to call first!  Otherwise the parks may not know there's enough interest and cancel the event.

Glow Disc Golf
Winton Woods / 8:00 p.m.
A game of disc or Frisbee golf is always fun, but playing it at night is even more fun! Bring your own glow disc or rent one of ours and try your skill on our glowing course! Cost is $5 and, if needed, frisbee rental is $3. Deadline to register is March 26. Register online.
Big Biscuit
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 3:10:30 PM

Thompson Park will be open Saturday March 21st 1pm until late night. It will have the first permanant 9 holes installed. The baskets will be (Lightning DB 5s)with custom solar domes installed on top with protective cages. There will be a $2 ENTRY FEE into the park,compare that to Hamilton Co. Park Glow Events $2 DAY PASS $5 EVENT FEE and you have to be amazed at Thompson Park prices. Since Thompsonn Park & FTCP are both open TONIGHT!!! I will be at T P and Kindra will be at FTCP Diretions T P take 177 west out of Hamilton. The park is 3 miles beyond Meijers on the right. (High St. becomes Main St becomes 177.) FTCP Take Rt.4 thru Hamilton past fairgrounds, continue to Milleken Rd. (SPEEDWAY) Turn righton Milleken,2 miles to Morris Rd turn left then turn right into parking lot on south side of Fire Department. see you there or there.
Big Biscuit
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:33:24 PM

Out till midnight Friday. I had better get used to long days,considering Hueston Woods will be at least 36 tees playing to 18 baskets.I am going to try for 36 baskets. I have had a lot of offers for help on the initial course.The way the park has responded to my 20 plus visits (Desinging and laying out the course) I believe there is an extremely good chance a Sweetees 18 Hole and an extremiTEES  18 hole ( For Pros ). Regardless we will begin clearing by mid next week. I will contact Robert Harris (City of Hamilton Parks Director) to discuss the fact that Disc Golfers coming thru West Hamilton enroute to either Hueston Woods and / or Thompson Park, will be stopping by patronize the local establishments to encourage sponcerships for Milliken Woods. On N Washington Blvd in West Hamilton. When I talked with Bob and the rest of the board in September 2008, the only real issue was sponcerships. More later.
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:16:22 AM

I'm still confused, Hank. Is Thompson playable today (Sunday), or was it just set up for play on Saturday only?
disc golfer girl
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:49:34 PM

We are back out there tonight. We will have ptluck cookout 5 until dark. Casual. Bring your own drinks(all drinks are ok) and food. Eat and play at your leasure. Course is open all day. There will be yelling to call people in. Solar Domes for baskets and tees come on simultaneously at dark. That will be the signal to report back to hole #8 shelter.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:50:26 PM

There is 2.00 entry fee for the park.
PaulDmt
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:28:05 PM

Coming from the west side, it looks like there's another option.  North on 27 past Millvile, turn right on Stillwell Beckett Rd, left on 177/Hamilton Richmond Rd.
Park is on the left.  3024 Hamilton Richmond Rd.
chain_shaker
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 8:45:04 AM

A course in Millikin would be great. I've always wanted to see one put in there it has the potential to be an awesome place to play.
greenhills
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 9:57:25 AM

We played Thompson Park Saturday during the daylight.  They were still finishing up a few things, but it was a pretty interesting course.  I talked to one of the owners of the property, he was telling me about some of the plans they have, including an additional 9 holes.  Thompson Park is a huge piece of property with cabin rentals and a very large pavillion that can be rented.

Anxious to hear how the night rounds have been going
mikesech
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 12:48:29 PM

hank my friend and i have been out there every night since Saturday and got to see them put it together its a real great course its worth going out there and playing it and it is real fun at night i would get out there and try it when you get a chance
Big Biscuit
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:24:58 PM

I have a plan to have the Hueston Woods course playable by May 31st. Anyone who would like to help with the clearing of the fairways,please e-mail me @ (sweetees.discgolf@zoomtown.com) If we pile the debris at local drag piles,the state will move it from there. I have the first 9 hole 18 basket design roughed in. This course is a designers dream. During the days that volunteers help, we will have cold N.A. drinks plus hamburgers / hotdogs to eat. Sweetees will provide and prepare the food. I am converting my basket trailor into a chuckwagon- packing tools. The short fairways will be cleared first. The park wants night golf installed A.S.A.P. If you have the chance ,play Thompson Parks Short and Long #3 tee placements. I you like it, you will love the Hueston Woods overall design. I call it taking the (C out of the long Tee), as in redundant(C). Like I said, please play T.P. #3 and you will see.   I am really looking forward to my first campout / all night disc golf outing. I am not sure if I am doing a cabin or a campsite. Oh! the choices one has to make.
Big Biscuit
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:30:22 PM

11:25 PM I just got in from T.P. Man what an awesome night. On long #3 a newbee thru a 300 ft drive in the dark. On short #3 1st round ,I shanked one into the water. GOOD NEWS After spending 15 minutes under 3 ft of water,I was able to play the rest of the night with no problems. The Quest is one tough light disc! On hole #5 I witnessed the first (line drive / hit every chain in the basket/spit out/night flight duece on record. Thompson Park owners plan to expand to 18 holes A.S.A.P. I stopped by Applebees on the way home looking for sponsorships for both Thompson Parks back 9 and for the new Milliken Woods 18. Again anyone who wishes to help clear Hueston Woods contact Hank at (513)858 3472 or sweetees.discgolf@zoomtown.com Thanks Big Biscuit@360 degrees
Big Biscuit
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 2:16:58 PM

Contacted Aerobie disc today. You can buy them at  SweeTees or from Daniel / Tylor at Thompson Park. Aerobie has some nice product. I am still looking for volunteers with chainsaws / pruning / shears / bobcats or just tree draggers.  Thanks Hank
MSQ
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:30:51 AM

Nice. The ODNR website already has a new map for Hueston Woods, with disc golf on the map legend.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parkmaps/huestonwoodsparkmap.pdf

Disc golf AND state parks... what a nice combination. =)
Dan_Smith
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:08:26 AM

MSQ wrote:
Nice. The ODNR website already has a new map for Hueston Woods, with disc golf on the map legend. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parkmaps/huestonwoodsparkmap.pdf Disc golf AND state parks... what a nice combination. =)

Hueston Woods already had 'disc golf' before Hank decided to propose a course. Their previous 'disc golf' was 4 baskets on like 3 acres and you could see all the baskets from any basket. The disc golf location on the map is the wrong location. On the map, find the lodge and paintball area and thats where its going to be.
Big Biscuit
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 4:29:29 PM

disc golfer girl wrote:
Saturday March 21 Grand Opening of Thompson Park's night disc golf course. Located just 3 miles west of the Hamilton Meijer 1 pm - 11 pm Bring your own discs or several types of night discs will be available for purchase.  (Including custom lit Champion discs and all Black Jax products.) We will soon have Nite Ize products as well .( Dog Discuits) / K9 Meteor Liight Balls) Initial course 9 holes with plans for additional holes depending on interest of the course. $2.00 park entry fee per person.

Design and layout of Houston Woods has begun!! This course will have 36 tee pads with 18 baskets and will be lit for night play. Anyone wishing to volunteer with clearing of fairways will be appreciated. Please contact Hank for more details. 513-858-3472 (DISC)

One time night events. -- Hamilton County Parks will host 2 glow events. The first at Miami Whitewater Saturday March 14th 8pm. Course Fee $5.00. Bring your own disc or rent a disc from park for $3.00.
The second event will be held at Winton Woods on Friday March 26th @ 8pm. Same course and rental fees apply. Contact 521-PARKS or Jen @ 521-2345.

Millikin Park will have Grand Opening on Saturday April 11th 1pm-11pm or later. Bring your own lit discs or purchase custom lit Champion and Black Jax products on site. We will also have Nite Ize products as well. (Dog Discuits  / K9 Meteor Light Balls) At the Grand Opening 9 additional baskets (temporary) will be played.