Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

straightest disc in your bag Options
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 10:53:45 PM

Wizard, the harder the plastic the better...I'm learning to use it for straight shots, I putt with it too, so I use it from .01 to 200 feet out...or you can air bounce it 300 plus feet with some fancy footwork (A la Dave Wright).......some people have informed me it's a rip off the Aviar but I found the Aviar to be more understable, perhpas it's more similar to a KC Aviar?
cyrusf1
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:42:07 PM

finnhawc wrote:
Yes, the ROC is awsome! Oh, and so is it's Discraft copy (exactly the same mold, IMNSHO. The WASP became the Buzz. Don't sell the original short Topher, you should take that stack to a field and find out how good the ROC is.

That is mostly correct.  The Wasp was made in the image of the Roc, and the molds of those two discs are nearly identical,  however, the Wasp is more stable.  The Buzz (Super straight modified Wasp) finally hit the mark, and flies like a Roc, but a little farther since it just has the bevel instead of a bead.  Because it lacks a pronounced bead, it also skips a bit, where the Roc and Wasp will grind to a halt if they land flat.  The Buzz is great for short drives that slide right under the basket, and the roc would be better if you want to get it in the hole.  

Personally, I carry a Buzz and a Wasp because the average joe can get each mold with a flat top without paying 50$ or more.  Once I get a flat champ Roc like Abner and Finnhawc both have, it will likely replace both discs.

As for the topic at hand, I would use either my latitude 64 pure, or my star aviar.  
I3u6sIe
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:02:21 PM

Ok, I have gained about 75 feet on my drives over the past 8 months or so and am throwing around 375 on my drives off the tee and don't have a SINGLE disc that i can throw relatively straight. Everything I throw turns over and never comes back (Wraiths, destroyers). Anyone have any suggestions for me on a relatively straight flying disc thrown for my drives? Outside of my main drivers, i have tried a beat force, avenger, surge, and pulse (only other stable drivers i own) and i just can't seem to get a straight flight. Only way it happens is to throw with a hyzer and let it balance out flat, but I'm really inconsistant with that so Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me that i should give a whirl. Thanks!
andersab
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:37:52 AM

Avenger
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:20:28 AM

Tee Bird
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:31:39 AM

10x Roc
I3u6sIe
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:18:04 PM

I can't throw a roc 375'. . . thats why i play rec lol.
cali
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:52:00 PM

Sounds like you have a form issue. I can throw around 375 on a good day and all of my lines that play that far I release with a bit of hyzer, which flips flat, dead straight flight and has a touch of fade on the end.

That goes for any driver with a bit of stability, Wraiths, Detroyers, Boss, Teebirds.
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:01:57 PM

I3u6sIe wrote:
Ok, I have gained about 75 feet on my drives over the past 8 months or so and am throwing around 375 on my drives off the tee and don't have a SINGLE disc that i can throw relatively straight. Everything I throw turns over and never comes back (Wraiths, destroyers). Anyone have any suggestions for me on a relatively straight flying disc thrown for my drives? Outside of my main drivers, i have tried a beat force, avenger, surge, and pulse (only other stable drivers i own) and i just can't seem to get a straight flight. Only way it happens is to throw with a hyzer and let it balance out flat, but I'm really inconsistant with that so Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me that i should give a whirl. Thanks!

Ok, so you want a disc that is able to go your max distance straight? It ain't gonna happen with disc choice. Try getting one of the suggested discs to go straight 200' first before going for max distance. Too many Newbies try for big distance (understandable as it is impressive) over accuracy. Get accuracy first and then add distance later then the trickiest shot in disc golf(the straight shot)  wouldn't mystify so much.  
I3u6sIe
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:11:16 PM

well i have decent distance, and am accurate when i need to be, i'm just looking for something that i can throw relatively straight for a decent distance without having to throw an S. I know i wont find a disc thats gonna go 375 dead straight and fall straight down. even if i can find one that will fly straight with a little fade at the end i wouldnt care. I just dont have anything that don't flip over straight into the ground. Ive improved my distance and all the discs i once knew, are not performing the way they used to. i didnt play in hardly any tournaments this year b/c my consistancy with my discs have decreased and didnt wanna get embarassed lol, but i plan on playing a lot this upcoming year and wanna get a solid bag with discs that have versatility. Right now all i got are S shots or anhyzers with drivers. my midrange and putting is good, just can't get solid shots off the pad
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:56:20 PM

Play Hole #18 at Idlewild and concentrate on keeping it in the fairway. Start by throwing your putter...then your mids..then find a disc you can throw down the middle with little to no fade...I generally still throw a Buzzz here with any hint of a headwind..but I have a nice XL that I can throw decently down the middle.
cali
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:30:33 AM

I3u6sIe, it sounds to me like you need some drivers with more overstability. Try out a nice, max weight, stiff, DX Teebird and give us some feedback. I have a few friends who throw the most overstable discs and force them up into awkward anny lines to get max D from shots that flex over 70% the width of the fairway. I'm not saying you are doing that but on a lot of drives, especially into headwinds, their disc just turns over and bombs to the right off of the fairway rolling left when it hits. Just a few things to try out; try out some low speed overstable discs that are cheap so you can test a variety, like a DX Teebird, Eagle or Firebird. None of this speed 10-13 crap, those may be truly overstable but the high cruising speed can cause them to flip over just as easily as a sidewinder. Check out some clinics on youtube, make sure you are using proper grip and form on the tee-box, power is nothing without form. KEEP YOUR DRIVE LOW! The easiest approach to any shot without an obstacle would obviously be straight on, I've learned the higher you huck your drive up in the air the more it tends to flip over right and flex out huge with good D, but it is hard to avoid obstacles that way and is extremely unpredictable.

Hope some of that helps. Sorry for the wall of text.

finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:07:25 AM

SIGH, try a Teebird or a Leopard-straight requires a smooth release not massive snap. BTW, cali, virtually all discs are overstable at slow speeds.
cali
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:38:49 PM

...and virtually all discs are understable at a high enough speed. What's your point?

I am speaking from this guys standpoint, if he does throw 375-400 feet this would be the best way of going about things. We aren't talking about someone who throws 200' and needs a lightweight Archangel to not bomb left every drive.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:36:39 PM

"...and virtually all discs are understable at a high enough speed. What's your point?

I am speaking from this guys standpoint, if he does throw 375-400 feet this would be the best way of going about things. We aren't talking about someone who throws 200' and needs a lightweight Archangel to not bomb left every drive." -cali

I don't think that is the best way, cali. My point is that you don't get straight shots by disc selection alone. Mr L. Stephens had the idea illustrated nicely above with Idlewild #18. Telling him to try this disc or that disc isn't going to yield the desired results.
You want to make it to Carnegie Hall someday...practice. An old joke but, it is true enough.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:28:17 PM

Most people I've seen that throw S curves and Anhyzers all the time are throwing off axis torque shots, the arm is not coming straight across the chest..if the arm is coming straight through then I would check the nose angle upon release...try an Xcaliber and put the disc on a hyzer angle but pull the arm straight through....if it flips flat, I seriously doubt it will break hard to the right...just be aware of what your arm is doing and the angle of the disc...keep playing with the nose angle in a field until you find what angle you need to release it at for it to flip flat....it's more technique than the driver but an Xcaliber is a heck of an overstable disc if that's what you need...Jenkings throws them along with Firebirds....and your not near that guys D
cali
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:47:07 AM

I wasn't getting at the fact that disc selection is going to improve your game on its own. Disc selection and proper form and practicing with proper discs. Going out and huking a speed 12 drive will get you decent D with horrible form but what people really need to do is be working with mids and low speed drivers and perfecting form before moving up. Try reading what I originally wrote again, maybe it will make sense this time.

Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:02:16 PM

K. Stewart from C-bus throws drivers for short shots that most would use a mid-range for...he hyzers them as opposed to taking the straight line. It looks effortless, and he has amazing accuracy..he's rated 983. Just saying...whatever works.
I3u6sIe
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:58:14 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, ill go out and get a few of the discs and see what happens. I'm just over this whole thing. I was better 2 years ago lol...But i went out to harbin today, very little wind, and was throwing multiple drivers on the longer holes. I think i have a form issue somewhere. There are occassions for instance, where i would throw a destroyer bast 9's basket from the tee, and throw the same disc and come up 60 feet short. I threw about 100 drives between holes 1, 4, 9, and 13. Very very very inconsistant. I threw all overstable drivers and was everywhere as far as distance goes...
I3u6sIe
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:33:23 PM

Oh i forgot to mention, I got ahold of some star teebirds, and with my regular throw, they flipped over and just sailed way right! But then I threw it a few times with a slight hyzer upon release and they flattened out going straight with a slight fade at the end which i was really happy with because thats what i'm looking for, but was only throwing them about 325'. Accuracy is more important than distance hands down, but when you can't drive hole 1 @ harbin in rec division, that might be a problem. Rec obviously isn't a respectable division, but I feel like all rec players can at least get a disc 350 consistantly. I will still be glad for any advice or form tips as well as other discs to try
Billy Page
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:05:53 PM

The most straight driver I've used was a Champion Eagle, but if you are flipping over the discs you say you are, try to get ahold of a Champ Boss or Champ Groove. They have much higher speeds and are tougher to flip so they should pop flat if you through it with a tiny bit of hyzer. Good Luck
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:37:45 PM

I3u6sIe wrote:
Oh i forgot to mention, I got ahold of some star teebirds, and with my regular throw, they flipped over and just sailed way right! But then I threw it a few times with a slight hyzer upon release and they flattened out going straight with a slight fade at the end which i was really happy with because thats what i'm looking for, but was only throwing them about 325'. Accuracy is more important than distance hands down, but when you can't drive hole 1 @ harbin in rec division, that might be a problem. Rec obviously isn't a respectable division, but I feel like all rec players can at least get a disc 350 consistantly. I will still be glad for any advice or form tips as well as other discs to try

A Teebird shouldn't flip like that. I think if you throw a star Teebird 320', 350', or 380' it should fly flat with a fade at the end. I wouldn't think all rec players can throw 350' consistently.
I3u6sIe
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:59:01 PM

A few things here. Teebird didn't flip like that lol. I went to 'Nati and Fred worked with me a bit and it pretty much was a form issue. With my regular throw I was fine, but ever time I tried to throw with excessive power I wasn't  following through across my chest. I was swinging my arm out which was causing everything to anny way right. I'm throwing the Teebird about 320' and its flying straight with a slight fade as it slows down which is great because thats what I was really looking for. And as far as 350' for rec players, I only played 2 tournaments this year and every card I was on, I was being out drove. But i'm throwing much better and more consistant now than I was just a few weeks ago, and the Teebird has a permanent spot in my bag.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:02:40 AM

Nice, way to show the value of field work as well. Since its inception Teebird-L has always been my fav driver. And, BTW, Rec players shouldn't be parking hole #1 at Harbin consistently or else they ain't REC.
Madmike
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 7:46:21 PM

Come on now there has to be atlest one like me on here that just pulls out the ol RHYNO and lets it sail!! Every disc is different 3 people can throw the same disc and in the end its going to do 3 different things. You have to figure out arm speed, spin follow thru and everything else. Thats what i tell everyone that asks me how i throw a buzz almost 400ft every individual is different now with the buzzz vs roc or deal its all about what one your more comfortable and confident about im a BUZZHEAD as fin describes but thats what I prefer but yes very similar the Buzzz is just faster in my opinion