Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Beware of Police Harrassment at Englewood (Dayton) Options
ahlavac
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:28:56 AM

Some local players told me that they encountered police harrassment at the course in Englewood (just north of Dayton).  They said they were stopped and searched by police.  The police claimed that they were cracking down on drinking and foul language (?!?!) at the park.  Just a heads up to anyone who might play that course in the near future.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 12:58:17 PM

Be careful listening to some Dayton locals. Most of them are good people but some like to break laws openly while playing disc golf. If you have ever been to Belmont on a busy weekend you'll understand what I mean. That park in Englewood is prime disc golf land so hopefully the locals don't do anything to mess up relations with the park people. I would hate to see that course pulled since its such a great course.
andersab
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:10:31 PM

ahlavac wrote:
Some local players told me that they encountered police harrassment at the course in Englewood (just north of Dayton).  They said they were stopped and searched by police.  The police claimed that they were cracking down on drinking and foul language (?!?!) at the park.  Just a heads up to anyone who might play that course in the near future.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as we all follow the parks laws.
soundmind
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:35:23 PM

if the police are serching people,then it is a problem and against the law.
cyrusf1
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:39:34 PM

I bet there was a valid reason why they were stopped, but I also would bet that they didn't have probable cause to search. I have first hand experience with the Three Rivers Metro Parks rangers. They gave me the same B.S. reason why they were searching my car; "We like to keep the parks clean." I'm sure the rangers do a lot of good, but this account only reinforces my belief that many of them act like they're the freakin Gestapo.
ahlavac
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 2:42:59 PM

I agree that the police probably had a reason to stop these players (i.e. alcohol in plain site, littering, etc.). However, I also know of someone who was stopped at that park for having tinted windows on his car (which seems petty). It seems like the "powers that be" are not condoning any funny business in Englewood.

I don't condone breaking the law...just wanted to inform everyone that Englewood is actively enforcing the rules.
zippy
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 5:00:12 PM

Be glad the police are there to kick out the thugs and bums who tear up courses. As long as you're not drinking beer or smoking a doobie while playing you should have nothing to worry about