Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Disc 'n Dat Bluegrass Open Options
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:07:18 PM

Early betting odds on the BGO...get your bets in now....win...place...show...

Open:

1. Matt Blakely 2-1
2. Tyler Horne 5-1
3. Nikko Locastro 7-1
4. Jeff Vandemark 9-1

Open Masters:

1. Bob Herbert 4-1
2. Pete Caldwell 7-1
3. Johnny Sias 9-1
4. Rob Strasser 11-1

My money is on the 20-1 Jim Ferrara...looking good in practice....confidence is up. On a side note....you can always throw $1 on the 200000 to 1 Lee Stephens...Not much to look at...but if you prescribe to the theory of any given squirrel finding a nut on any given Sunday...then this is your bet.
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:29:47 PM

Yeah, but that squirrel has to play on Saturday too Lee!
NKYgoalie
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:43:05 PM

I was just talking to David McCormack (gateway owner) and nikko and his girlfriend need a place to stay on friday and saturday, so if anybody has a place for them he would surely appreciate it. Just posting this trying to help them out.
Brad_H
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:53:25 PM

I've got friday night covered for them, can't do saturday night though. my phone # is in my sig.

I'm about 50 miles from Idlewild. 

Maybe they'll get an offer from someone closer.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:36:29 AM

Brad_H wrote:
I've got friday night covered for them, can't do saturday night though. my phone # is in my sig.

I'm about 50 miles from Idlewild. 

Maybe they'll get an offer from someone closer.

Sounds like an interesting slumber party.  Don't stay up too late you kids.
Brad_H
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:02:57 AM

hehe
discndat
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:29:34 PM

8 AM spots left - UPDATED REGISTRATION LIST
discndat
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:39:49 PM

Make that 7 - also another Open signed up.
discndat
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:57:22 PM

6 & counting down!
discndat
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:15:45 PM

4 more and the Waiting List starts - or you sign up as Pro - you were thinking of playing Pro anyway, so come on, just do it.
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:41:46 PM

Hey Lee when can I place my bet !!! I'm going with Nikko for the win !!!!!
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:03:25 PM

My family is going out to watch the tourney Sat. Will there be vendors selling things there ? This is our first year into disc golf and we have never gone to anything like this before. Thanks and good luck to all.
agentdozzer
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:04:50 PM

This will be my first time as a spotter, and i was wondering what i am expected to do. Watch where the disc go yeah i got that but i wont be like calling ob or anything like that right?
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:23:45 PM

agentdozzer wrote:
This will be my first time as a spotter, and i was wondering what i am expected to do. Watch where the disc go yeah i got that but i wont be like calling ob or anything like that right?

Normal protocol is to just let everyone in the group know where there disc lies if they need help locating it.  If it went OB you might help them determine where it was last IB.  It is up to the group to make a call on OB; if a player's lie is close to OB that player is not supposed to mark or pick up the disc till the group makes a ruling. If it is clearly OB (like in a pond) then you can let them know so they can choose whether to re-Tee or take their lie at the last spot Inbounds without having to walk back and forth...

basicly you just want to let the group know when they are clear to tee off and then watch where the disc go and tell people where to find their disc -- your function is that you help speed up play. 

that's just my take on your role though and some think I take such things more seriously than i should -- the TD has the final say.
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:36:48 PM

discndat wrote:
Fred, we are playing Idlewild like we played it last year. Everyone really liked your course and the way it played so we decided to keep it the same.

That would be IdleMild and there were many who prefer that format.  Tthere are also many who prefer IdleWild (Gold design format:  island greens on 11 and 15; island landing area on 5, creek bed on all holes whether dry or wet  = OB; 16 OB dry land areas).

I'd like to see it IdleWild for Pros & IdleMild for Am.s but then again I'm not TD. Don't get me wrong: I am happy to be a participant whatever you decide. 
discndat
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 8:09:24 AM

1st - we have 1 AM spot open at this time. However, we do have 7 players who have entered and we will need to confirm their PDGA membership, so get in on that last spot to assure your space. If it's full, we'll start a Waiting List and if anyone drops out or doesn't confirm the PDGA membership, you'll get in.

Tim - Rob explained the role of a spotter pretty well. We'll fill you in on the particulars of the hole you are spotting when we send you out. See you tomorrow.

Rob - yeah, you do have both sides. The BGO Team decided back in January to have the same format and course guidelines this year for the BGO. And, it is only my opinion but I think you and Fred really put down the course when you call it IdleMild, but that's also your call.  If you're going with a Gold thought, why not Idlewild Silver and Idlewild Gold?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 10:20:38 AM

Dan, just one more comment and I'll quit posting. There is good reasoning for all the OB at Idlewild. One it makes the course consistent for accurate course record keeping. The entire creek should be marked ob so that if one tournament has tons of water in the creek and another tournamemt is dry then marking it would make it consistent. The other ob is for maintenaince purposes and safety. All the ob on the left of 11, across the creek on 13, past the green on 15 and left on 16 is because it would be impossible to maintain. The side of the hill on 16 is too dangerous to play out of, which is a safety issue.
The other ob is to challenge the players for which Idlewild was designed for. The Professional disc golfer. It might be quirky to you but it makes a good player think about being too aggressive.
There is a method to the maddness that is Idlewild.
Also Idlewild is a risk and reward type of course. That is why we have never used spotters. The player has the option to play safe on every hole at Idlewild but if he wants to and has the ability he can take the risk shot and pay the price if he doesn't execute it properly. Ams maybe, for faster play. Pros, definetely not.
Bob, where are you?
discndat
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:16:15 AM

Still 1 AM spot left and the Open field is getting bigger now. More 1000 rated players signing up. Matt, Kris said he's coming after you, but we know who'll win that one blakely
Rumor has it Garrett Deimler and Marc Estenfelder will be signing up too.

Thanks for the information on Idlewild Fred, but I wouldn't call Idlewild consistent for accurate course record keeping in any way. It has not been the same from year to year now almost since it's inception, sometimes even season to season changes occur, and not natural changes - man-made changes.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:36:32 AM

Good to see Will and Kris coming...after getting my butt stomped in Lex in doubles by the World Doubles Champions..I have utmost respect for these two guys. We may see a record round this year at Banklick.
discndat
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:56:36 AM

AMs now have a waiting list!
discndat
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 1:34:31 PM

Had an Adv. GM cancel - so back to 1 AM spot left!
kmaupin
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 3:05:49 PM

I saw this on discndatonline.com and figured it would be useful to others as I didn't see it mentioned above:

UPDATE: Friday 6/5/09 8:15 am -
Reminder: We will be at Idlewild on Friday evening from 5-7:30 pm for Pros who want to sign up and any AMs who would like to pick up their Players Packs - otherwise AMs will get their Players Packs at the lunch break on Saturday.
frizgolf
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 3:36:22 PM

It is with great sadness I report I will not be physically able to help out this weekend. Months of planning and anticipation had me eager to be a willing participant in helping Dan this weekend. However, Mother Nature had other plans. After two days of troubling symptoms and a visit to the doctor this morning, I am on antibiotics. The combination of those symptoms and the weird side effects of Cipro have conspired to confine me to the indoors within close proximity of a running-water restroom and away from human interaction.
It sux, man. I know Dan needs all the help he can get.
Be good to him out there and help the tournament run smoothly. It's been running ten years now, so it could almost run itself, but the folks taking scores, divvying up prizes, and explaining rules could use your utmost focus this weekend.
It looks to be a great weekend for golf. If I'm feeling up to it, I may make it out to watch a little come Sunday.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 5:58:49 PM

Idlewild!
I have watched it change ever since it has been in the ground for play.
I like some of the changes Fred has made over the years but also think that idlewild has gone beyond what it needs to be and should be with the OB.

So with that I like how Dan is going to play the OB and course at Idlewild.

In General putting the railroad ties and cores to line the creek is a good thing, but we need to stop taking away from the bank to do so, we are losing valuable fairway in places.

Changes to hole 2 and 3 with on and over the creek are good.
Little OB plant spot on #3's green is not good.
#5 the land on the right side of the creek being ob is not good, and if it was all inbounds there would be no need for a drop zone.
#11 THe idea of a green on that side is fine, but that green is way to small. I've said that from the start. If it gets expanded it could be a good addition to the course, but in the current state it is not good.
#13 Ob on the other side of the creek is not necessary I believe. Just leave it rough.
#15 Island Green, I'm kinda torn on this one and it might grow on me still.
#16, Mando is okay, lined creeks okay, Island greens and dropzones are no good. Just play it with the mando and water.

Thats my opinion
Thanks for Running a great tournament like always Dan. I appreciate it and am looking forward to it this weekend.
Fred Thanks for your hard work like always on Idlewild.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 5:59:05 PM

I hope you get better...drink plenty of fluids and play video games all day....hey..it helped me out a few weeks ago.