Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2009 Disc 'n Dat Bluegrass Open Options
2Timer
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 8:41:36 PM

So does this mean I have the singles course record Fred since I actually shot a 61 at masters at Idlewild with all of the OB and Jenkins shot a 58 without the mandos and OB.
frizgolf
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 9:46:30 PM

matthew_blakely wrote:
Idlewild! I have watched it change ever since it has been in the ground for play. I like some of the changes Fred has made over the years but also think that idlewild has gone beyond what it needs to be and should be with the OB. So with that I like how Dan is going to play the OB and course at Idlewild. In General putting the railroad ties and cores to line the creek is a good thing, but we need to stop taking away from the bank to do so, we are losing valuable fairway in places. Changes to hole 2 and 3 with on and over the creek are good. Little OB plant spot on #3's green is not good. #5 the land on the right side of the creek being ob is not good, and if it was all inbounds there would be no need for a drop zone. #11 THe idea of a green on that side is fine, but that green is way to small. I've said that from the start. If it gets expanded it could be a good addition to the course, but in the current state it is not good. #13 Ob on the other side of the creek is not necessary I believe. Just leave it rough. #15 Island Green, I'm kinda torn on this one and it might grow on me still. #16, Mando is okay, lined creeks okay, Island greens and dropzones are no good. Just play it with the mando and water. Thats my opinion Thanks for Running a great tournament like always Dan. I appreciate it and am looking forward to it this weekend. Fred Thanks for your hard work like always on Idlewild.

I agree on #5. Landing on the right side of the creek leaves nothing in the way of any kind of decent throw anyway.
Haven't experienced the #15 island yet. So, after two or three come-outta-the-shoes hucks I gotta pinpoint a downhill approach shot now? Yikes!
I could chime in on a couple other topics, but I think it'll be debated for all time. :D
Personally, I think the course as Dan has it determined for the tournament is a maintenance of continuity mainly for traveling players.
I can totally understand Fred wanting to tighten the course after seeing pros find chinks in the course's armor. Ball golf courses do the same thing.
I know from experience that casual players, upon seeing what may be ambiguous (to them) OB markings, will make on-the-fly decisions to play the course their own way using surrounded-by-water as the determining factor for their casual rounds.
The yin/yang that happens in discussions about this course is nothing but good for the game. If we're not talking about it, we're not caring about it. ;)
Rob J
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:52:47 PM

frizgolf wrote:

I agree on #5. Landing on the right side of the creek leaves nothing in the way of any kind of decent throw anyway.

the nice thing about having the right side of the creek OB and the drop zone on 5 is it greatly speeds play on a course that already takes a long time to play.  With am.s probably even more so. The drop zone penalizes you for missing the landing area but doesn't ruin the hole for you.  Of course it is easy to get in trouble even from the drop zone -- but that's the beauty of your par 5's at Idlewild... 

i don't think calling it IdleMild is a put-down -- it just points out that it is a less challenging format in a way that rhymes... 
Stan McDaniel likes the Wild format...

Rob J
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:05:34 AM

Blakely -- or Salaz and McDaniel -- 2 Hall of Famers -- who you gonna go with? (he said, playfully stirring the pot a la Steve Mahl)
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:10:44 AM

Idlewild course record - 66 Brad Schick 2009 Ky States singles.  All others are null and void............
discndat
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:57:51 AM

All right Rob. I've had enough. You're out of the tournament.
discndat
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:43:16 AM

135 unoffical total for the tournament - 89 ams and 46 pros - we'll see if we have any no-shows.
discndat
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:45:54 AM

Ok Rob - you've probably already left Indy to get here so you're back in. But you better watch yourself this weekend. Idle is Mild but it will still eat your shorts.
discndat
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:47:28 AM

Your'e right Rob-O - stirring the pot gets your juices flowing!!!!! Have a good tourney bud. But don't let Idle Mild fool you. Oh and don't let Bank Lick get you in your Lincoln Ridge.
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:16:30 PM

Great tourney so far Dan....I'm at home in the A/C by 5pm after 48 holes at Banklick...you simply can't beat that. Can't wait for Idlewild in the morning...
discndat
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:38:20 PM

Thanks Lee. All went well at Idle Mild today. It is waiting to take you on tomorrow. 

Good scores for those Pros over at Banklick, especially that -17 by Tyler Horne. Here's the link to the scores www.pdga.com/tournament-results 

Shelby shot pretty good at Idle Mild. Go get 'em Seashell.

Oh, we are going to be at Shelter 2 tomorrow. Alert people if you will.  Sorry for the change but atleast we have something. Should work out ok for us.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 12:12:37 AM

Shelter 2? Is that Idlewild or Banklick/Lincoln Ridge?
discndat
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 6:25:47 AM

That's Idle Mild Friz - just let 'er flow right over to us if you're up to it!
discndat
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 6:26:28 AM

A new course record for Idle Mild? Come on out and see.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 2:06:00 PM

Ah, sorry Dan. I was being rhetorical in case someone else needed the info...
I'm still hibernating. :(
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:36:44 PM

Tyler tore it up in the morning round today shooting a 58 -- giving him a 10 stroke lead going into the Final round. In the last round, Nikko shot a 25 on the front 9 going 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2... Not many people have 3'ed 6 -- I have seen Fred and Nikko do it and I know Larry Daniels did it -- who else? I think Nikko got within 2strokes of Tyler but then Tyler gained back ground on 10 and 11 and 14... Tyler shot a steady 64 for the win with Nikko shooting a 59 for second place. Will Schusterick crushed his drive on 15 to just past the left sign with a Star Boss.

I got to witness all that because Dan informed me inbetween the third and fourth rounds that I had to DNF the last round and follow the lead Open group as a spotter (since I had posted that I prefered IdleWild to the milder silver format aka: IdleMild). It saved me energy and I got to see some stellar golf on my favorite course. Lincoln Ridge got me too, but that was the first time I ever played Lincoln Ridge.  It did seem a lot like a course called Banklick...  :-) okay Dan,  please take the curse off me now. thanks ;-)
schick
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 10:29:18 PM

Rob J wrote:
Tyler tore it up in the morning round today shooting a 58 -- giving him a 10 stroke lead going into the Final round. In the last round, Nikko shot a 25 on the front 9 going 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2... Not many people have 3'ed 6 -- I have seen Fred and Nikko do it and I know Larry Daniels did it -- who else? I think Nikko got within 2strokes of Tyler but then Tyler gained back ground on 10 and 11 and 14... Tyler shot a steady 64 for the win with Nikko shooting a 59 for second place. Will Schusterick crushed his drive on 15 to just past the left sign with a Star Boss.

I got to witness all that because Dan informed me inbetween the third and fourth rounds that I had to DNF the last round and follow the lead Open group as a spotter (since I had posted that I prefered IdleWild to the milder silver format aka: IdleMild). It saved me energy and I got to see some stellar golf on my favorite course. Lincoln Ridge got me too, but that was the first time I ever played Lincoln Ridge.  It did seem a lot like a course called Banklick...  :-) okay Dan,  please take the curse off me now. thanks ;-)

A 2 on hole 1 and a 25 on the front? Great, now when I go back to Idlewild there will probably be an island green on hole 1....

Way to hold it together Tyler! Awesome shooting Liz and congrats to Mr. Cox on a Masters win...move up! thumbsup

Thanks Dan for the mid-day updates, I must have hit refresh 25 times this afternoon. Wish I was there to see Tyler rip it up.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 11:00:00 PM

Brad you have 3'ed 6 too i think???
discndat
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 8:54:52 AM

Ok Rob. You should be fine now. It was a mild curse - just a 48 hour one. Thanks for coming down. You did get to see some good disc golf in that last round.
Rob J
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 11:40:24 AM

true dat. thanks for helping me at least keep my car in the fairway ;-)
PaulDmt
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 1:32:54 PM

Rob J wrote:

the nice thing about having the right side of the creek OB and the drop zone on 5 is it greatly speeds play on a course that already takes a long time to play.  With am.s probably even more so. The drop zone penalizes you for missing the landing area but doesn't ruin the hole for you.  Of course it is easy to get in trouble even from the drop zone -- but that's the beauty of your par 5's at Idlewild... 

Rob, I'm afraid that I don't follow your logic about that drop zone speeding up play.  Are you saying that because the drop zone gets you back onto the fairway?  If a player throws over to the bad side of the creek then they still have to go get their disc either before or after they throw.  Between that and walking back to the drop zone seems like that would take longer.
mikekem
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 2:58:53 PM

2Timer wrote:
So does this mean I have the singles course record Fred since I actually shot a 61 at masters at Idlewild with all of the OB and Jenkins shot a 58 without the mandos and OB.

It's hard to have any meaingful records here.  The rules change each year not just from event to event.  The KY states '08 had different rules than the '09 KY States.  I'm not taking any sides here on which version is better but just commenting that comparsion for comparsion sake isn't possible from year to year.  Next year may have a newer set of rules.  Personally I think the records from the earlier days of Idlewild were more impressive with the more demanding rough. However, I do hear that scores go up everytime that honeysuckle is removed.
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 4:03:36 PM

The best part for me was the break we spotters got was right when the top two cards threw five, watching there up and over shots from up the hill was a amazing site. Did any one duece five? and what kind of disc are they throwing up there? The finale at 15 was nice nikko had one and we were like well thats the furthest for the day then will? threw one right behind the sign for a 600 drive.
discndat
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 4:47:59 PM

Still trying to get the post tourney stuff completed but wanted to acknowledge a few things here now. Thanks to all the disc golfers who participated, the BGO Team, my wife Candy, my niece Kady (my car died on Friday and she let me used hers for the weekend), the spotters: Tony Vincent, Steve Sharp, Mike Kemner, Jeff Worley - not sure if I forgot somebody. The spotters made a big difference to the disc golfers.  Big shout-out to Co-TD Paul Dumont and his crew at Banklick: Bryan Wheeler, Drew 2 Miller, Joe Rott - again may have forgot somebody, or not even knew they helped out. Thanks to Jeff Eades and Drew 2 and others for stringing all the OB at Idlewild on Friday. Thanks to my cohort in crime at Idlewild, Dave Marlow - always good to have a dependable official who will do it all - help set up, do the scores/scoreboard, set out water, help with the awards, go around the course with groups, you name it - Dave did it. Big shout out to Rockin' Rod Angel for the online scoring - that's who allowed you to refresh all those times Brad - sorry you couldn't make it this year. Thanks to Brad Anderson , Liz, &Ben Shooner for getting the water and the snacks togther for both courses. I am sure I'm forgetting someone but I do appreciate your help. Oh yeah, big ole' shout out to Jeff Eades for running the most fun event of the tourney - the RING OF FIRE - always a good topper to the tourney, it was still going on when I had to leave and it was already after 7:30. Well, see here's some of the stuff I forget: KUDOS  to the grass cutting machine on the grass cutting machine, Kevin Brashear for cutting the grass at Idlewild all week, including Saturday morning. That's dedication and we thank you.

I believe everything went pretty smoothly with your usual amount of hiccups mixed in with some unusual ones, but that's the joys of running a tourney.

Yeah, records are getting almost impossible to state for Idlewild now, but nonetheless we had some pretty darn good scores on a tough course.

For those who haven't seen the final results here they are:  http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=8624 

Glad to hear people's thoughts on the event, whether good or bad.  If you'd prefer not to put it on the board, just pm or e-mail me.
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 9:07:07 AM

PaulDmt wrote:

Rob, I'm afraid that I don't follow your logic about that drop zone speeding up play.  Are you saying that because the drop zone gets you back onto the fairway?  If a player throws over to the bad side of the creek then they still have to go get their disc either before or after they throw.  Between that and walking back to the drop zone seems like that would take longer.

Paul, the speed of play has to do with subsequent throws.  you pretty much have to walk back to the drop zone area regardless. 

also, why not confer with the Hall of Famer who designed the course and find out his reasons for putting in the drop zone?

Saturday morning at check-in Johnny Sias asked me why we weren't playing all the OB at Idlewild -- I told him some people evidently prefer it that way and that as an Open World Champion he ought to let the TD know he prefered the OB because his preference might carry some weight.   It's not like Dan doesn't know my stance LOL