Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

How to get started in competetive play? Options
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:44:15 PM

Basically im tired of playing with locals and would really like to challenge myself and learn the sport.  Ive been keeping up with local tourneys such as the BG or KY singles and know that you have to be a PDGA member to play in these.  On the plus side these types of events seem to have the widest range of skill in players and you get the most swag just for signing up.  On the negative side 50+ dollars a year and 30$ or so more per event just to get pounded doesnt seem very rewarding either. 

The other type of events i have noticed are the CCS which seems to be more about fun with local players  and not a major event. However im not an official GCFDA member and i seem to have missed one i believe.  I also am worried the skill range of the players may be just as tough as the tourneys as i blieve people probably do both.

So whats a guy to do?help  Where can i go out and play while learning and having fun but at the same time feel some of the pressure and challenge that comes with tournament play?  Winning some discs or getting them for signing up would be cool too.

This topic may become rather large but i hope it can become a guide for future players as well. 

L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 9:24:21 PM

I suggest you start by playing some CCS's. Sign up as a new member with the GCFDA and you will get a free disc. You don't HAVE to be a member of the GCFDA to play in the CCS...but you will either play Novice with a waived non-member fee or pay a little extra and play Advanced. If I were you, I'd join the GCFDA and get my disc...but play Novice a few times until you get the hang of tournaments.

In the CCS's you will be paired with other divisions the first round. Basically if you play Novice you will have a Pro, and ADV, Master (old guy like me)...or hopefully a girl....and you as a Novice player. This allows those with more experience to help you along the way of tournament play. The second round you will be paired with those of you in the same division. I don't think I've ever been paired with anyone that wasn't willing to help me. However, people don't really know how perceptive you are to WANTING help...so ASK and they will. Some people may not want to offend you by offering..so they stay quiet.

You will notice that as you learn the RULES and play by them...since most people don't outside of tournaments...your game will get better....as you play around people better than you..and pick up on the little things..and let the competitive juices flow...you will get better....and if you do the opposite of what I do...you will get better.

Hope that helps and didn't get too wordy...I've heard a rumor that I can get too wordy.
tbird888
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 10:43:50 PM

NatiBuckeye,
I was in your position for Harbin's CCS and think you should make the trip to AJ Jolly. For me, it was a great, casual way to get introduced to the more formal aspects of the game. Best $5 I've spent on a day of fun. I learned of a lot of holes in my game besides my putting and got a lot of great ideas of how to fix them. My scores have started dropping since, also.

AJ Jolly's a bit of a hike from Mason but is well worth the trip. It's beautiful, and I like the layout with new 6 and 12.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 10:51:01 PM

CCS sounds great

Are there any other low cost tourneys or events that players can participate in. I teach Middle School PE, so alot of this information gets passed on to students as well.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:18:31 AM

CCS is definitely the way to go. It is pretty hard to beat the value, fun, and education available there. You can also check out the doubles, ace funds, & bag tags under the weekly events section of the home page. They are popular mini-competitions but are still very relaxed.