smthgfshy
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 4:29:46 PM

Belmont Park:

Conditions - sunny, 10-20 wind, 65 degrees
Tee's - concrete, 6'x12', flat, new
Baskets - mix of old and new dga disccatchers
Layout - park-like, rolling fairways, mild elevation, no rough
Beverage pairing - Lambic

Course is rolling, inviting you with every throw to traverse freshly mowed grass green undulations that are polka-dotted with mature hardwoods.  Some holes are more open than others though I'd classify none as "tight".  Rough is very scarce if non-existent and at worst you'll hit an early tree, get some bad tree love, or end up in another fairway.   Length of all the holes is roughly the same, with no holes seeming exceedingly short or long.  Average length according to my calculations is 357.48 feet.   Layout is natural, using available terrain, and is easily followed.  Some holes have multiple tee and pin placements (we played the longs).  If you can throw 350' many of the holes are duece-able if you have a nice long, accurate drive. 

I found this course beautiful, reminicent of Keriakes in bg, KY, but slightly more open and easier.  Groups playing the course with us were large, as to be expected from a well used course, but unlike some courses here in cincy (coughairyackack) groups are very cordial and let us pass readily.  While throwing a few practice putts I noticed that on the back side of the sign someone had drawn a course map by hand.  This little touch, as with the smattering of older baskets and mature, well-spaced trees, rolling grassy hills, and cool spring weather created a great atmoshere. 

Best beverage pairing: Frambois Lambic.  Great spring beer, fresh and fruity, low alcohol, served very cold.

Bottom line on Belmont: go here. 
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:01:46 PM

Keriakes is in Bowling Green.
DanH
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:16:13 PM

And it is nothing like Keriakes. You might be thinking of Shillito in Lexington.
smthgfshy
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 9:00:24 PM

Oh yeah, Keriakes is in Bowling Green. Damn those Lambics. And I do mean Keriakes.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:48:14 AM

I'd have to agree-Belmont is a classic. Although many elements of Keriekes are quite different, both courses definitely have the same feel to them. Not too easy, not too difficult or taxing-both heavily played and well established. The kind of course that you could easily play over and over all day. Belmont also has the highest number of 'chill spots' (picnic tables, benches, etc.) per hole of any course I can think of. And yes, the Dayton vibe is a very friendly one.