Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Hueston Woods Options
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 12:27:37 AM

As some of you may know, Hank is putting in a course at Hueston Woods.    I had the opportunity to see what it was going to be like earlier today.  We took some baskets up there and played 12 holes.  That's right, theres already 24 teepads in and 24 fairways roughed out (each hole has an A and a B tee position.  It's not like long and short, it's like playing two totally different holes on the same basket)We're gonna get exta sleeves and have movable pins too. 

I'm tellin ya now, it's gonna be a bad mutha.  27 baskets with 54 teepads.  All tunnel shots, mostly between 300 and 400 feet.  So much variety though.  Almost none of them are a simple hyzer or straight shot, you've got to bend your disc around stuff and really work it.  Multiple lines available on many holes.  Some of these holes have landing zones and could be legit par 4's.

So a lot of the major stuff is done already, we just need help grooming the fairways.  For the next month, we've got a chipper up there that will handle branches up to 6 inches in diameter.  Threre's enough dead and dying stuff and honeysucke to feed that thing.  The chips we make will be used to mulch the fairways that you guys cleaned up.  It's gonna be nice.  All the weeds and scrubby stuff you lose discs in is going bye-bye.  Just big, mature trees will line the fairways.  We'll make piles of debris and bring the chipper around to grind it up.  Then we'll use a bobcat to spread the mulch on the fairway.

Real nice flowing layout.  The course stays close enough to the lodge parking lot (that's right, the course is by the lodge) and road that if you decided to not play the whole course, you could get back to your car in like 5 minute.  No two mile hike back to the car on a sprained ankle.  No heatstroke either.  Everything is in the shade of the forest canopy.  Even on a hot day, it's nice and cool in there.  Did I mention that there is a very scenic view overlooking the lake on the walk from hole 4 to hole 5 (or was it 3 to 4?)

Get up on it guys, we can have this course done in a month or less.  Call Hank at sweet tees or pm him.  (big biscuit) I know for a fact we're gonna be up there at 10 am tomorrow morning, so feel free to show up.  I know Adam and some other guys said they'd bring the club up to play it once.  Yeah, I might play it once myself.  Once a week.  I was really sceptical when Hank told me that this was going to be the number one course in Ohio.  But I've been there and thrown some shots on it.  Seeing is believing.
drx49er
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 10:37:17 AM

Awesome! Sounds like a worthy trip! Can't wait to get up there!!
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 9:44:33 PM

So now im sure we all just want to know when we can play it
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 9:53:25 PM

Just as soon as you come up here and help us finish.

Edit:  See last part of next post.
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 10:08:15 PM

Hank and I were back at Hueston Woods.  Thanks to the guys who came to help us.

I got to see the lodge today, and it is amazing.   They've even got a fine dining restaurant and a bar, which I'm sure we'll put to use when we play tournaments up there.  Between the lodge and the lake there is an area we can use as a huge putting green.  Enough room to set up like 4 baskets and have 80 guys putting.

Don't know how many good I can say, it's the kind of course where people from out of town will drive for a disc golf weekend.  A tier events for sure.  Just being in that park feels like a vacation.

Oh yeah, by the way, we're planning on putting up some temp baskets and playing Saturday after the oxford course challenge.  Once you see what we've got started, I think you'll want to help.
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:26:29 PM

Sounds awesome, I will try to get up there and help, didn't get online this weekend or I could have ran up there on Monday. Hank should have called me but I know how it is. Thanks for the updates Brad!

Kelly
mikesech
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:08:46 PM

ya ive helped out a lot too its is going to be a really sweet course once we are finshed
wamslebm
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:34:52 PM

You should see if they can add Hueston to the course map on this website. I have been using that map to find all these new courses and looking at the photos to preview them.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:48:01 PM

I'll wait to add it until it is a course with baskets in it.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 7:36:02 AM

Then why is Crittenden on the map ;)
mikekem
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 8:48:40 AM

Honestly I'm not sure, that was inherited from before the update. Does it not have baskets?
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 9:08:15 AM

Just a FYI, in the near future Hank will need some groups of volunteers to help clear underbrush and stuff. I would like to help when I can but also I want to concentrate my efforts at Airy. Anyone that lives closer to this park and plans on hitting this course more so than others please consider helping out, a little goes a long way and everyone could use some good karma.
pottsas
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:32:28 PM

I went up on Saturday after work to see the progress and maybe throw a hand in. Tried to walk the holes. Found about 9, maybe 10. I saw the baskets sitting on the dock. The staff at Hueston Woods were nice, but confusing. I would like to help if I could find time in my schedule, or if there was a set schedule when other people would be up there. Seems like it'll be an interesting course when it's cleaned up and finished.

Andy
PaulDmt
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:52:42 AM

Woohoo! Go Hank. It's a good chunk of land look forward to seeing the layout.

Yes Last time I was at Crittenden it had baskets unless they've been pulled since.
drx49er
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:10:57 PM

My life revolves around schedules; my wife's, my daughter's school and my work schedule. If we had set times, it would make it easier.
I am anxious to see what Hank's been up to.
Brad_H
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:11:36 AM

Boy you guys, Hueston is gonna rock. We've got some bobcat tracks and some teepads in the ground and baskets are on the way. We're going to get serious about grooming fairways soon. It's nice working up there, nothing but shade in those woods.

Actually, the baskets are in Hank's shop. I'm sure you've seen them if you've been in there lately.
Word on the street is that Hank is going to get another order of discs in soon. They'll go quick, so look for Kindra's announcement.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 9:10:26 AM

So what is the status of this course? Is it still in the building stages? Is there a map of the layout available yet and when can the public start playing it?
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 10:08:00 AM

We haven't been able to do much with the frequent rain as of late. It has been too muddy to run the bobcat.

However, the 24 fairways that have been roughed in will need to be groomed.

We're looking at pouring concrete for basket sleeves very soon.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 12:16:43 PM

So is there a tenative opening date and hole maps available?
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 10:08:08 PM

We were hopin' to have some stuff done before July 4th, but the weather hasn't given us much of a break and Hank's daughter just got married this past weekend, lol.
Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:48:09 PM

Here is a video I shot showing some construction, the lodge, and a speech by Hank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qz57OKnu8I

We're about ready to start organizing work teams for debris clearing. Most of the teepads are done and some basket sleeves are set.
Brad_H
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:11:53 PM

Hank needs some help tomorrow 3:00 pm (wednesday) He's had some restrictions on which land he is allowed to use and needs a few people to be sound references (you guys yell at each other in the woods)to work in the last 4 holes of the 27 hole course.

He was hoping some people could meet at his shop (4820 Holiday Dr Fairfield, OH 45014)and carpool up.
Great opportunity to get a tour of the new course.

Also we are ready to start fairway grooming. If you would like to help, contact Hank 858 DISC or myself.
PaulDmt
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:25:19 AM

Took some pictures of the progress Hank is making at Hueston Woods.  Many are tee shots, unfortunately I have not had time to give them labels on Photobucket.  Use this link to see the pics: 

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/pauldmt/HuestonWoods/
drx49er
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 10:18:29 AM

That is going to be one tight course! Very technical. I wish my schedule allowed me to get up there and help!
Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 2:02:23 PM

Hey gang, tomorrow morning July 5 we're going up to Hueston to assemble some baskets, install them, and play golf. We're meeting for a little pre-game at the Golden Corral in the west side of Hamilton. Come on out, eat a bunch of food (breakfast buffet), drink 4 cups of coffee and go nuts, whatever you gotta do. Then we're carpooling up to Hueston at about 11:00.