Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Hueston Woods Options
Brad_H
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 11:40:31 PM

We've got 4 baskets installed now (mind you, that's 8 different shots because of dual fairways) , 5 if you include the putter basket that is just to the left of hole 1. 4 X 4's for tee signs are being put in too.

While official signs won't be ready for a little while, we're going to have some temporary ones soon.

Still need a little mapping help for getting in the last 4 holes (it IS going to be 27)
Brad_H
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:57:09 PM

OK, the 5 lakeside holes are done. I think that means that each of the hole's 2 teepads now has a temporary sign.

Hank says he's going to start going up there on a regular schedule; every night (talk about dedication) from 5 pm until 9 pm starting Monday. So if you want to help but aren't quite sure what to do, just be there it 5 or ride up with me. Hopelfully I'll be going most nights.
Brad_H
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:52:51 AM

Hank and I are about to go up there now. I think we're going to pour a bunch concrete for sleeves and signs. As soon as it cures, we're going to install like 18 more baskets.

We're looking at fixing up one of Hank's riding mowers to pull around supplies and the chipper the state is going to lend us.
Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:23:54 PM

Saturday July 25 we are having our first ever doubles at Hueston, possibly some paint ball as well. I will give you more details as I find out.
Brad_H
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:16:00 AM

It's official.  Saturday the 25th is going to be our first doubles.  18 baskets will be installed, so come on up check out the course and imagine the possibilities.  I'm sure you'll see that this course will be the bomb once it is trimmed and groomed.  We've got plenty of room for alternate pin placements too. 

There is going to be free food of some kind for the people who help groom on saturday.  It's sounding like either pizza or hot dogs at this point.

How does 10:00 sound for first round tee off?  Maybe we could do that, then groom some, and have another round on the improved course later in the day like 3:00 or 4?

You can bring tools if you have them.  pruning shears, saws, hatchets, shovels.  I think chainsaws will be alright, but I'll have to check.

Paintball is 12 dollars for unlimited play when you bring your own gear.
Brad_H
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:22:38 PM

StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:09:40 PM

We (me and my son) can out and cut trees and cleaned up hole 7 from about 3 till 7 pm today. A few more hours and we will have that hole finished. ( ps you forgot to list your pursang as a Bultaco, Maicos ( brake o's) LOl
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:45:47 PM

You may already know this but i searched and didnt find it.

You can talk about your course at discgolfcoursereview.com and list it under courses in development. Then when its ready, get it on the site and im sure it will increase the tourism.
NKYgoalie
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:52:44 PM

Yeah, I will add it when everything is finished with the course and will put pictures of all the tee's and fairways on with it. That is a great website to gain publicity for local courses.
Brad_H
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:12:55 AM

Thank you Steve and son for your work on hole 7. Hank says he was up there and it looks like you've almost got it finished already.

We're going to be at the park Saturday and Sunday and we'll have some food both days. If you want to adopt a hole, come check out the course and get dibs on your favorite one this weekend. Casual play and doubles too.

We're also doing having a disc golf event at the Atrium YMCA in Franklin Friday the 24th. Afternoon play for Y members and night golf for Y staff.
topherb
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:17:50 AM

I'm going to do my best to make it up there this Sat!
StorminSteve
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:29:23 PM

Since we had Hank move the back tee pad back , and have been doing alot of work on hole #7 ,Hank said it would be our hole to adopt. We are planning on putting a pyramid tee basket on that hole as well. Things are starting to shape up. See you soon.
StorminSteve
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:05:17 PM

Only ones that showed up Sat where myself, my son ,his girlfriend, Kelly,Chris and Hank. My gang worked on hole 7 and it is pretty much done. 1 more day and it is playable.
bmignery
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:37:53 PM

Does anyone have a map that they could post? I was up there on Saturday and it would be very helpful in getting a feel for the course. I would also like to adopt a hole.
Brad_H
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:19:24 PM

Got the map. My digital camera was being persnickety, but I did ya one better and got a video walkthrough of this map I begged Hank to make. The only problem is that you can't print it out like a picture. We'll get there though, more maps than you can shake a stick at real soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egwjPjiLmcM

The practice putting basket surrounded by 4 pine trees is on the right hand side of the lodge.  Just inside the woods about 80 feet away is hole 1.
cambo
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 7:53:23 PM

I played there today. The course is going to be very tight unless there is more clearing to be done. I like it. The holes are not very long but accuracy will be a must. Have Hank get with me asap. I can help with the course.
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 8:11:08 PM

I will do that, cambo. PM me your number and I will give it to hank.

We are going to clear some small trees. All large trees that are not dead are staying. Hank is getting a front end loader to use Saturday the 8th and this is a huge chance to get things accomplished. Your time will be used efficiently if you come up on Saturday as we are going to take full advantage of the heavy machinery to move stuff around. You might even get to decide what you think is in the way and have Hank take it down for you.
MDoggie
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 1:03:19 PM

My friend and I went and checked out the "beta" form of this course the other day. It's looking good. I was pleasantly surprised that teepads and temporary signs were already up. I'm assuming that the fairways and paths will be more pronounced the more it gets worked on. Some of the hole placements made for some insanely tough throws; the one I'm most thinking of off the top of my head was hole 6. I look forward to what this course is going to be.

Also, Brad_H did you lose a red Roc on that course? My friend found a Roc with a Brad H. on the back around hole 4 or so. If you think you did, I'll try to find a way to get it to you. I believe my friend has it in his bag at the moment. I don't play as much as some of you guys, but, will try to get you that disc sometime in the future if its yours.
Brad_H
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 8:59:42 PM

Yes, that red roc is mine. I was throwing some test shots off hole 1's tee. If you found it by hole 4, that means someone else must have found it and then lost it again. My cell phone number is 513 368-1943. I'm actually going to be at Hueston tomorrow.

If you want to meet up with me to play a round sometime, I'd love to get my disc back.
Brad_H
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 9:04:12 PM

We're supposed to be doing some big time work at Hueston this weekend. Saturday and Sunday we've got a bobcat and an operator coming out. Several of our helpers are bringing chainsaws as well. If we can haul bags of concrete with the bobcat, we can easily put in the rest of the sign posts. We've got an amazing drill style post hole digger that makes the job a breeze.

You guys can give your input on what trees you want taken out. We're gonna have a hot dog and chip lunch. It's an all day event. See the course, play some golf, help out with some work if you want.
PaulDmt
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 2:06:44 PM

Hank has said that he'll be there from 9am to 9pm today 8/8 and tomorrow 8/9. He hopes that with enough help today that they'll be able to retain the bobcat for tomorrow as well. Most of the work is clearing fairways and putting in more signposts. I can almost guarantee that all this work will be in the shade under a nice canopy of trees. Come on out! Hank gave me instructions that when you arrive, head for the lodge and stay to the right. There is a putting basket to that side near hole 1.

If you've never been to the park, check out this website for more info: http://www.huestonwoodsresort.com/
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.572646,-84.7416&t=h&sll=39.571955,-84.740735&sspn=0.002369,0.003567&ie=UTF8&ll=39.572261,-84.741331&spn=0.002369,0.003567&z=18

The address is:
5201 Lodge Road
College Corner, Ohio 45003
Park Phone: 513.664.3500

Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 11:08:50 PM

Thank you Bill Smallwood for providing and operating the bobcat, you were a hoss.

Thank you Stormin Steve and son for your chainsaw work.

Holes 1, 5, and 7 are now almost completely groomed and holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 8, 17, and 18 are very playable.  6 and 9-15 are still kinda rough.

Bill cleared out more stuff and put dirt around most of the teepads so they are flush with the ground now and moved many fairway obstructions on the lakeside as well as 17 and 18.

Kindra got some video of me getting clotheslined by a treebranch. I got stung by some angry yellow jackets too.  Unfortunatly I didn't get laid out by the branch while running from the bees.  That would have been an instant classic.

Remember how Barrett got the first ace on the course?  Well, I'm going to end up with the second ace if you guys don't come up here and play it.

Hank will be there noon til dark Sunday.  Real simple stuff you can help with.  Measuring fairways, cutting down little trees, vines, honeysuckle.
Tim Tim
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:40:26 PM

Sorry I haven't been back out to help more... Been really busy trying to secure my girlfriend's residence down here lately. I will help out more here soon to help polish this amazing course before it is officially open!

Oh and if you guys need me to come out again to :pre play: the course again to give you feedback/advice let me know!

513-571-1254

So far, you all have done an AMAZING job on this course. I know that once it's all groomed and some of the holes open up due to player traffic... this course will be "THE" event to play at!
Brad_H
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 1:35:35 PM

Thank you, a post like this with positive feedback is help enough for us. Anything people want to do is great. If you want to play the lakeside and give us a review, or cut down a few shrubberies that interfere with play, measure a couple fairways, if you've got a chainsaw sitting in your garage you would loan us, have advice about minimizing fairway erosion, if your son or daughter needs to do projects to earn boyscout or girlscout badges. Anything. There are even some cooperate seminars at Hueston that want to include disc golf in their time spent there. It's going to be a grade A course.
Brad_H
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:05:54 PM

We've got some more unexpected help at Hueston.  From now until Sunday, Hank has another bobcat and he plans to put it to use.  Also, someone has loaned us two chainsaws that need operators.

With the bobcat, it is looking like the course will be nearly complete by Monday.  If anyone wants to help but has been waiting until we're "actually doing something"  now is the time to help.

Come out and play the course, and when you hear a bunch of noise, that's us.  Just give us a few minutes as you're passing through, we're not expecting anybody to work a few hours for free or anything.  Just come play the course and cut down a few trees or put in a sign post while you're at it. 

Once Hueston gets to be a busy place, we'll bring in the chipper.  Same deal with that.  Stop and say hi and throw some branches in it while you play.

It's happening right now.  I had my doubts, but getting a couple big machines really makes a difference.