Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Hueston Woods Options
Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 12:01:05 PM

Well said chaps!

Only thing I would add, perhaps to give us the best idea of your progresses, is to post exactly how many holes are left to be cleared. That way when there are only 3-4 holes left to be cleared.... we will know the course is TRULY close to being done! Just an idea...

I can state that holes 1,2,3,4,5,7,and 8 are playable but as far as the others... I can't say.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:35:11 PM

I agree you dont have to be positive about it, but to come on a public forum and sort of make fun/disapointment towards them is uncalled for if you ask me. But ive been up there and seen the amount of FREE hard labor those two have put in! Just my .02 cents... Thats like slamming Kevin Breaasher( sorrry tou use you buddy, your just a hard working volunteer like Hank and Brad.) for not mowing the whole idlewild course, and just mowing the fairways. At one point the job is to big for the person/persons... So for future reference if you read this "Brad and Hank are doing this alone, it will be a while beofore the course is playable, but please understand there situation, they are a two man crew..."
And nienebar, buddy you didnt read his whole paragraph. What you didnt read goes like this: "I was able to get up there today to work with Hank and we got hole 14 squared away, and then we littered the ground with vines. It was really a jungle. Using the front end loader and a chain, we tore down dozens of vines that were choking the trees."
The Jungle part seems to catch my eye as possibly unplayable.
Aww and if anyone didnt know, Hank owns his oiwn disc golf shop were he is taking volunteers to go up there and help. All his store information/phone number are on this website, call him he will be glad to assist you on what needs to be done! Or more then likely if you take a drive out there he will be there working as usual!

mikekem
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 2:30:37 PM

Wow what an up roar here. I've added a warning to the Hueston Woods Course page about the course not being finished. I should have done that from the beginning.

I don't really want to be drawn into this debate as I can see both sides of the arguement. Hank is doing a lot of work at Hueston Woods and he did a great job convincing the park to put a course there. Kudos Hank. That being said maybe some more preliminary planning would have been a good thing but I'm sure the course will be something will want to play once it's done.
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 3:01:31 PM

Sorry to everyone who thought the course wasn't playable enough to be worth driving up there. I frequently post which holes we've been working on and what is done and what's not. If you would like details or updates, please pm me.

Here is what is done to the best of my knowledge. Even holes that "need a lot of work" have a bobcat path between the tee and the basket, which is all you get at some wooded courses.
1a ready for play
1b ready for play

2a semi cleared
2b needs a lot of work

3a semi cleared
3b needs a lot of work

4a semi cleared
4b semi cleared

5a mostly cleared
5b ready for play

6a semi cleared
6b semi cleared

7a ready for play
7b ready for play

8a needs a lot of work
8b semi cleared

9a needs a lot of work
9b needs a lot of work

10a near ready
10b near ready

11a needs a lot of work
11b needs a lot of work

12a needs a lot of work
12b needs a lot of work

13a needs a lot of work
13b needs a lot of work

14a semi cleared
14b ready for play (besides vines on ground, don't trip.)

15a semi cleared
15b semi cleared

16a semi cleared
16b semi cleard

17a semi cleared
17b semi cleared

18a semi cleared
18b semi cleared
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 3:07:27 PM

On the semi cleared and needs a lot of work holes, if you go off the path, you may be in a lot of trouble.

The holes we've got totally finished are very nice and offer multiple lines and still a fair chance at par even if you mess up your drive.

I don't know the rules about moving wood, but there's a lot of potential lumber up there.
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 3:12:59 PM

Thank you to everyone who has commended Hank and me on our efforts.

If I could do it over again and do everything my way, I would make the course one hole at a time. I would rope off a rectangular section of land a couple hundred feet wide and a few hundred feet long, clear out all the underbrush within the area I roped off, and then plan where to put a teepad and basket. Once I had that done, I would cut down some of the small saplings that were in the way.

If I ever have the money, time, and permission to build a course, I can assure you I would take my time and do everything perfect.
Brad_H
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 3:35:15 PM

Hole 7 is Stormin Steve's

Hole 13 is gonna be my baby.  Have I got a lot of work left to do on that hole.   Probably 10 hours worth, if I've got a chainsaw.

If you want to adopt a hole, just let us know when you're going to work on it and we can provide some tools.  Make your debris pile somewhere near the middle and we'll get all those cleaned up later.
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 4:02:05 PM

Thanks Brad for stating that hole 7 is ours (that is the hole (myself,wife, son and his girlfriend) have spent 4 different days working on it to try to help Hank out. Every posting that they do , asking for help on a Sat or Sun. results in alot of people saying "yes" we can help . When it comes to that day, only the same old gang shows up. Hopefully more people will get involved !!!!
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:54:16 AM

Are you guys going to be up there working this weekend? If so, what time do you normally start?
StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:39:39 PM

I cannot help this weekend. Playing Monroe Sat and then Dayton Sunday,
disc golfer girl
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:19:43 PM

**Hueston Woods update**
The final grooming for the lakeside 14 fairways/7 baskets needs to be done. Fairways 8 a and b through 13 a and  b are rough cut fairways only. Fairways 23 a and  b-27 a and  b which are(temporary 14 a and b-18 a and b) are rough cut fairways. Hank is trying to get help from Miami University Students. As more volunteers are needed and they have a closer proximity than many of possible volunteers that are in the disc golf community. All help is welcome as usual and we greatly appreciate the efforts from the folks who have helped us thus far. Last week Hank finished his 10th consecutive 10 hour day at the course on a bobcat. While logging over 100 hours of operating time Hank has achieved as much clearing as allowed by the rules given to him by the state of Ohio. It was the request of Hueston Woods to keep as much of the natural landscape and existing trees as possible. Therefore, hand grooming is all that will be allowed from here forward.

In addition to dragging branches, logs and debris away to clear fairways, we will also build all bridges and benches with as much natural resource as possible( storm fallen trees, branches, etc.). Last Sunday an all natural bridge was completed by Hank and family. The park was impressed by the use of fallen trees to create the bridge.

We would like to thank Wacker Nuesen for donating a brand new front end loader for 10 days. In addition I would like to thank Brad H for not only his physical support and constant positve outlook for the course.

Statistical Updates: all fairway footages and flight depictions have been drawn up and given to the state of Ohio for permanent course signs. These footages and depictions are for initial pin placement only. Almost every hole has been designed to have multiple pin placements.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but permanent tees 16 a and b and 17 a and b along with rough cut fairways for each are presently started for the final 9 phase 2 project. This will entail permanent fairways 14 a and b-22 a and b.
As far as reaching the 27 basket and 54 tee course, we currently stand at 22 baskets and 40 tees. Hank will multi task the responsibilities of designing and installing the final phase of the course. As well we wil try and lead a sponsorship drive in the Hamilton/Oxford area.

This course has truly become a labor of love. It is not just Hank's love of the game of disc golf it is the love of the majestic arena this park had to offer.
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 11:32:00 AM

My wife and I went up to Hueston woods on Sunday, mixing in a motorcycle ride with disc golf is pretty much my perfect happy place.

I have been up there a couple times now but it had been a month since the last visit and it is really shaping up.

There are course maps in the lodge, just across from the check in desk. I played it without one (didn't know about them till afterwards.) I found that as long as I payed attention to the temporary tee signs showing the next teepad location that I was able to navigate the course pretty well. I forgot to pay attention to next hole information on hole 2's tee sign so I accidentally jumped on the walking trail going the wrong way to hole 3 so I had to back track.

Hole 17 was missing the basket, I looked for 5 minutes till I spotted the sleeve. I hope it wasn't stolen.

The front seven on the lakeview side are the most impressive of the current 18, of those #6 still needs a lot of hand clearing. I may adopt this hole, will talk to Hank about this.

Once you cross the road things flatten out so you can catch your breath but it doesn't get easier. I think the worst score I took on any hole was a 6 but I also had very few duece opportunities.

My wife doesn't play much and was intimidated by the trees but she enjoyed herself. The leaves are starting to change for fall and we both really enjoyed that.

I liked the natural bridge on #4, that took some effort, great job!

Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 3:42:00 PM

Hey Kelly, if you wanna go up there again sometime let me know. Been lookin to play that course with someone! lol
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 4:14:24 PM

Kelly my plans so far are open Sunday. Maybe a few of us can go up and try to get some things finished. Let me know .
The Dark
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 4:48:50 PM

Thanks to everyone who's working on this. I can't wait to get out here and give it a run later this fall.
Tim Tim
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:03:01 AM

When this course is done... it's going to be so beautiful!
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:18:26 AM

StorminSteve wrote:
Kelly my plans so far are open Sunday. Maybe a few of us can go up and try to get some things finished. Let me know .

Steve,

I still haven't spoke to Hank but I cleared it with my boss to head up there Sunday. I will send you a PM with my phone number and we can try to figure out a time.  I am hoping to borrow a chainsaw to take up there but I will get direction from Hank before I clear anything. 

I am thinking that around 11 a.m or noon would be a good starting time for me.

Thanks,
Kelly
disc golfer girl
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:40:05 PM

I think Hank and I for sure will be there on Sunday as well. If you are going to go, please call us and we will meet you. It is better when you have more hands. It goes so much faster. My son who is 6 was able to help me hand clear a few holes. I am thinking of taking on 12 and 13 to clear up some small debirs on sunday myself. And yes the beauty of the trees out there is awesome. It is very peaceful.
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:34:55 PM

Providing no bad weather we will be there. Bright and early.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:50:00 AM

Hank was haven some pc trouble at the shop and wanted yall to know that they will be out there this Sunday from 10 till 7 working on the course.
If ya got the time and can come out to help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all that have helped out so far. Good courses can be great courses with a little TLC.
kmaupin
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 11:13:58 PM

My plan is still to make it out around 11am, I hope the weather is nice.

disc golfer girl
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:32:12 AM

I am heading out now. Hank has been up at Hueston since 930 am. He said overcast but no rain. I am looking forward to it. Hope to see some of you all out there.
Tim Tim
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:23:06 PM

well it definitely rained, otherwise I could have made it out!
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 10:03:17 AM

I made it out on Sunday and worked with Hank and Kendra on hole 18 the majority of the time but did some clearing on 17, and 16 also. We focused on clearing dead trees in the fairways that were leaning on live trees or being held up by the crazy strong vines. We also moved some logs over to the second natural bridge on #4's fairway, I think that is a very nice touch.

StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 2:39:59 PM

Sorry we did not make it out Sunday as planned. When we were leaving it started pouring down rain. Being it takes us over 1 hour to get there,we decided to pass on it.