Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Hueston Woods Options
The Dark
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 7:09:46 PM

Might as well ask... what's the status on this project?
Jay Dub
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:42:00 PM

I played this course about a month ago, #16 basket wasn't there but the rest were. As we finished on 18 Hank drove by and said he had 16s basket with him. Leaves cover the whole course so be ready to look for your disc. Very nice tee pads, sign posts were in and a rough hole map drawn on most signs. Fairways are rough and sometimes not there yet. It's all wooded so a lot of work needs done to make the fairways....well, fair lol. Took us some time to find the next holes on a few of them...I know it takes a lot of work and Hank is doing what he can, but at this time I suggest going there only to help. Both me and Larry agreed it was wasted day of golf...we should have went to Oxford :)

It has great potential, there's one tee that's close to the lake and I bet everyone that plays takes the times to walk down the 20ft path and check out the view before teeing off...it's sweet.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 10:31:32 AM

I have been out there with a couple buddies the past few weeks working on clearing out the fairways/and cutting branches to make good lines for throws. It is still a very "RAW" course, so be prepared if you decide to go and play. Take a Map! And the first 7 holes are very playable. Hardly anyone plays/walks on the paths so Jay Dub is right, there are leaves (untouched) everywhere, but nothing a little foot traffic wouldnt take care of. Im not sure there is anyone else working on this course right now, other then me and a few buddies, Because its always in the same condition as when we left the week earlier. 
There is still a lot of work left on the back nine, which we are going to try and get accomplished before the start of next Spring. DONT COME PLAY IT WITH THE INTENTIONS ITS IN GOOD SHAPE BECAUSE ITS NOT! But if you ask me, this is going to be a Championship style course, with par being much higher then 54. Possibly the best course in the Cincy area when its complete!
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:49:55 PM

Will this course be finished this year?
GIES2525
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 9:17:21 AM

Its got a lot of clearing of debri left! The actual course is in the ground, but the fairways need to be cleared of everything! From roots, to vines, to sticks and branches! But if Hank can get a few more work days out there organized, it could be done by the end of this year! But, its not very playable as is right now. The first 6 or 7 holes can be played, but the rest are still untouched.
But give Hank credit, hes got it pretty far along with just the help of a couple of volunteers!
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 3:28:44 PM

Not trying to be negative but why not hire people and then have a fundraising tourney to help pay for the work?
GIES2525
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:20:12 AM

I have no idea, not my business to get into! But in my eyes, Why go through all that hassle? just get a few willing volunteers, and get it knocked out in a couple of work days! (There are a group of six of us who got up there three times last year, and knocked out a bunch of holes.)
Also, how much money can you really make from a tourny? I dont think it be enough to turn around and pay a bunch of guys for there work. Just my opinion!
Jay Dub
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:51:49 AM

I live around the corner from Hank's shop and would be willing to help out if I knew when everyone was going and it's not during a work day.
I think getting a group together could happen and they could get a lot accomplished in a day to improve that course. I believe it'll be a good course once it has fairways.

I'll share my cell number but not on a public forum. jaydubya1234@yahoo.com is a good email address if any one's interested.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:59:46 PM

I know the Landmark tourney raised enough money for some armor and they believe it will raise enough to put in a course.... So im guessing a toruney would raise enough If it was put together properly.
kenbowski
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:04:34 PM

I'm new to the game and new to this site. I live faily close to Hueston Woods, so if anyone plans on going out there some weekend to work on it, let me know. I am usually pretty busy, but I am more than willing to help out if needed.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:03:25 PM

I do appreciate all the responses to the Hueston Woods course. I am normally the one who posts on here but I had a major surgery a few weeks ago and have been out of commission. The latest is that the tee signs are in and we will be out to put those up in the coming week. We do appreciate all the help that everyone has given along the way and appreciate continued interest. We have in the past offered to feed all participants on our works days but we usually only have 2-3 people show up at the most. And again all of this help has been appreciated. Timing is everything and for every day we try to plan to clean up it is a nice day when most people prefer to be playing than working. This has always been a conflict. In the next 2 weeks we will be scheduling work days with notice so people can plan to attend if they are available. As with all courses they do take time and Hueston Woods is a diamond in the rough. We have had such great feedback from people have gone to the course even in its rough stages. We hope for continued support. Please feel free to call 513-858-3472 if you are interested in signing up for the up coming clean ups days. We have purchased supplies such as rakes, shovels, and other tools that will help us in the cleanup. Hope to see you all soon. I have truly missed being away from the game. We are hoping for a great summer and with Hueston that will be one of the definite features the 10-15 degree temperature dtops back in that shade on all the hot summer days.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:17:03 PM

We had a some great people out to help that work for the parks yesterday. The clearing and grooming is underway. Hank is back out at Hueston today and is hoping to get some volunteers to help with cutting honeysuckle down to 1-2 feet off the ground for someone to come in an clear the rest out with a machine at ground level next week. If we can get to the honeysuckle before next week it is going to be a great help. I know a lot of people will be out on Saturday in Oxford playing course challenge. Please stop on up after wards to play a few holes and help out if yuo can.
mikekem
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 7:57:31 PM

Tony Vincent struck again. There are some photos of Hueston Woods up. As you can see it is still rough, maybe this will encourage more people to volunteer.
disc golfer girl
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 8:27:06 PM

Hank will be working with 100 students form Troy High School on Thursday June 24th to be dragging limbs and debris and general grooming. On WEdnesday June 23rd Hank will be at Hueston Woods with other volunteers with chain saws cutting debris in preparation for Thursday. Anyone with a chainsaw wishing to work with us can contact Hank on his cell 513-615-9763 or call the shop @ 513-858-3472.
kenbowski
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 2:31:58 PM

Please keep up with the course updates. I've been meaning to check it out, but I haven't made it out that way in a while.
kenbowski
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 11:30:10 AM

I stopped by yesterday for the first time and checked it out. I was very impresses considering the course is still "under construction". I played the first 8 holes and then had to call it a day. Only about half of the course so far had signs at the tee showing the trial path. I think that only the first (and maybe second) had the par marked. All of the baskets were in place and were pretty easy to find. The fairway was all cleared out pretty well. So far, I've been extremely impressed in the course. I plan on going back out there today to check out the rest of the course.
kenbowski
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 8:57:04 AM

I stopped back by yesterday to check out the back 9. All of the baskets are still in. The back 9 is the same as the front 9 when it comes to course conditions. Came across poison ivy and thorn bushes a couple of times, but it wasn't bad. I'm still new to the sport, so I found it to be a lot of fun. I would like to check out some courses in Dayton to get a comparison to see how Hueston Woods stacks up to other courses near by.
kenbowski
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:07:49 AM

I was leaving Hueston Woods the other day and noticed that there are disc golf baskets by where you can ride horses. I know that the actual disc golf course is my the lodge, so does anyone know what the other set of baskets are for? I didn't have time to stop by to check them out, but it look like there were about 9 baskets in an open field with the grass cut to the baskets. Thank you.
Jay Dub
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:36:50 PM

kenbowski wrote:
I was leaving Hueston Woods the other day and noticed that there are disc golf baskets by where you can ride horses. I know that the actual disc golf course is my the lodge, so does anyone know what the other set of baskets are for? I didn't have time to stop by to check them out, but it look like there were about 9 baskets in an open field with the grass cut to the baskets. Thank you.

Ha! Those baskets are the "old course". We went to play the new course, stopped to ask a park worker where the course is and all he knew about was the course you saw and told us we would hate it. he even laughed at us for asking. laugh That's a forgotten course.
slg6218
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:22:27 PM

I took my wife and granddaughter there so they could ride horses and took a couple of discs to pass the time. The park map showed a disc golf course there. I died laughing when I saw the course. I did get to practice some mids and putters, so it wasn't a total loss. The baskets, as I recall, were actually in really good shape.
kenbowski
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:01:39 PM

Yea the baskets are in great shape! That is why I was wondering. Do you know if Hank is in charge of that "course" as well? I hate to see such great baskets go to waste and would like to talk with someone to try to get something useful done with them. They might even be the baskets that Hank plans on using for the rest of Disctractions.
BTBAM
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:20:08 PM

Going out tomorrow to shoot GPS points, hopefully get a decent course map up this weekend....let's hope.
STEVO
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 7:11:57 PM

Those baskets at the "old" course were put up some time back, basically as an extra activity for the adjoining campground (across the small road).
kenbowski
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 9:47:44 PM

I stopped by today with BTBAM to work on the GPS points, and they were working on the course. I met Dustin out there and he was covered in blood and sweat from where he was working on the course. They are working on the front 7 holes, and they are looking really good. Hank showed up a little later and I got to talk with him some. He made a comment about possibly selling those basket from "old course" for something like $300. That isn't too bad of a price considering how good of condition those baskets are in.
BTBAM
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 8:15:20 PM

Preliminary new couse map until I hear the okay from Hank. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4851522750_c8423120bc_b.jpg