Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Rapid Run Course Challange Options
Madmike
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:52:06 PM

Hey all I need a ride to this event anyone on the eastside close to lunkin airport think they could hook a brother up?????????
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:22:59 AM

So what time do the basket providers need to be there on Saturday morning, 6:30A.M. 7A.M.?
Tim Tim
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:50:11 PM

I'll be at this! Not too often that you get to compete on a course that only comes available once a year jump
T_Vincent
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:44:10 PM

I plan on getting to RR between 7:30 and 8:00 maybe earlier if I can't sleep. There should be markings on the course, but we will also be showing people were to put the basket. Again, I am just reminding people to please bring your basket. Thanks

Tim Tim
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:26:03 PM

I hope no one forgets! That would suck...
Johnny Rimjob
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:37:04 PM

Sc0rch3d wrote:

I was getn ready to ask that......thanks mike. I have another question, gonna sound stupid again I'm sure......All of these courses are new to me so I try to get to them b4 we throw a course challenge. If you took this map to rapid run(which I'm assuming is the road that runs off of queen city) would you get a feel for the layout or is it a waste of time? Some course are easy for me blind, like oxford. Others like monroe, I made it out there 3 times the week leading up to the event and it seems to have really helped. So, I guess my only point is.....scouting a park without baskets wouldn't be odd would it? if I have  this map though,lol? Heading to idlewild then to see dan @discndat, tx

I stopped out there today and played the course layout in my head. I pretty much aced every hole and shot the course record, so you can all stay home saturday.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:21:36 AM

whip nod
Sc0rch3d wrote:

I was getn ready to ask that......thanks mike. I have another question, gonna sound stupid again I'm sure......All of these courses are new to me so I try to get to them b4 we throw a course challenge. If you took this map to rapid run(which I'm assuming is the road that runs off of queen city) would you get a feel for the layout or is it a waste of time? Some course are easy for me blind, like oxford. Others like monroe, I made it out there 3 times the week leading up to the event and it seems to have really helped. So, I guess my only point is.....scouting a park without baskets wouldn't be odd would it? if I have  this map though,lol? Heading to idlewild then to see dan @discndat, tx

Yes, walking the grounds even without baskets can help a ton. You may see trouble that you wouldn't have seen playing it "blind". with your dedication to scouting courses, even temp ones you will find your tournament scores improve more rapidly.nodwhip  (Even if it doesn't always seem that way.)
dbbarnes2
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:22:56 PM

Hi, I am new here and thinking about checking this event out. I have only been playing for about 2-3 months, so not really good at all.  Can someone post the directions please.

Thanks
Daniel
kmaupin
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:16:27 PM

dbbarnes2 wrote:
Hi, I am new here and thinking about checking this event out. I have only been playing for about 2-3 months, so not really good at all.  Can someone post the directions please.

Thanks
Daniel

Daniel,

If you want to know about the course challenge series, click on Events and select course challenge series.  It sounds like you would play in Novice and I would say this may be one of the more chaotic course challenge events since there is going to be 18 temporary baskets showing up for this event so the Tournament Directors will be in a frenzy but overall this is a laid back event that is perfect for getting your feet wet in competitive disc golf.  If you need directions to the park, goto the first page of this thread where Discndat real name Dan gave some background on this park and how neat it has been in the past.

Edit:  Here is a link to Rapid Run park...      http://cincyparks.com/parks-events/west-region/rapid-run-park/

Hope to see you there,
Kelly
dbbarnes2
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:01:20 PM

Thanks a bunch.
Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:46:15 AM

Yea come on out and join the chaos with us! It'll be my first time playing Rapid Run too... but not my first tourney =)
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:37:45 PM

Is there room for more than 18? I'm getting the feeling there may be more than 90(fivesomes) at this one. Am I crazy for thinking this is possible? The weather is supposed to be nice and a rare opportunity to play the course...
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:45:10 PM

I'm going there now to scout the layout...
T_Vincent
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:05:01 PM

I believe we have space for one or two more holes. That is what I get from Dan & Jeff. They may not be as long or tough, but they are additional.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:30:00 PM

Wow, this should be very good and tough! I think we need a branch or two trimmed to make fairways a bit more fair. Viewtiful park with PWT swimming(?) in the pond, yuck! I'll be out tomorrow at Noon to scope the back nine or ten or eleven. Wait , on second thought tell your friends not to bother with this course, it is awful, awful! wink
T_Vincent
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:51:24 PM

Dan, Jeff, Dave & I were out there tonight marking the tees and baskets. We found out that in the morning of the 15th there will be a cross country meet there as well. Their meet should be over by 10:30. So the first round could be a bit slower for a few holes. We have the permit for the shelter, so that will not be a problem. The large field should not be a factor as well. We will just have to take our time. We found a few extra holes that we will most likely play even if we do not need them (Which I doubt).
bobherb
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 4:55:58 PM

Is the tourney going to be set up and played concurrent with the running meet?
discndat
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 5:45:40 PM

Yes, unfortunately it is. We had this reserved for a while now and we weren't told of anything else going on there. We just found out last night that they were going to have a cross country meet because we were both there laying out our courses! We'll tough it out and hopefully all the disc golfers will be patient - they usually are, right? Anyway, we have to work with what we have. It should only be a problem for the first round, maybe not all of that.  Biggest problem may be parking. So if you can ride share I'd suggest you do it. Come prepared with patience, love and happiness in your heart and all will be good.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 6:30:24 PM

I know this is last minute but the course map I saw made this coutse seem comprable to Harbin... Is that fair or is there a better comparison>?
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 6:33:05 PM

ON that note Dan it would be wise to show up early (like 7 AM) if you want to practice before the first round. Their running event has three starting times: 9AM, 9:30, and 10. They stated that they should be all done by 10:20 or so. Watch out for runners warming up as well. BTW we couldn't find the basket location for hole 10 assuming it was straight towards hole 11's tee. Also we found a very nice extra-extra hole between hole 2 and 3 that utilizes the vast space to the right of 3. It is gonna be sweet tomorrow!
discndat
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 6:42:21 PM

No, not like Harbin. A mini Belmont (Dayton course) is more like it. Rolling hills with mature trees, no real rough to speak of. Water comes into play on 3 of the holes, maybe more if you have a really bad shot. We've got a 20 hole layout ready. Don't expect baskets to be in that early. But this is a reminder to everyone who said they'd bring a basket, please bring it - and as early as you can please. Yeah, on hole 10, there was a Suburban parked there yesterday - it's just beyond the playground by the big trees.
discndat
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 6:43:55 PM

Oh, one other thing - I just found out my grandkids can't make it tomorrow. They were going to retreive discs from the wading pond. If someone has a mature enough kid that would like to retrieve discs, play in the water and make $ this would be good for them.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 8:10:16 PM

ha thanks dan I guess it is hard to tell topography on a drawn course map and i didnt even think of hills.
soundmind
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:16:50 AM

watch out for ground hornets,they tagged me real good yesterday 6 times in the legs on hole 5 i think?
topherb
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:32:13 AM

I'm sure there will be enough of us out there to spread out the stings!!!