Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Johnson Hills Park - Anderson Township Options
pcaldwell
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:43:49 PM

Finally, some action on the Johnson Hills Park front.  In the July 1st Forest Hills Journal, the front page lead article was about Johnson Hills starting to develop their plan - "ideas include fishing, disc golf". http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/C2/20090625/NEWS/906250327/

We need your vote:  Go to http://cincinnati.com/andersontownship  and on the left side of the page is a poll asking which of several ideas would be best for the park.  Right now disc golf is losing to fishing ponds.  I think it is VERY important to demonstrate the legitimacy and existence of a supporting disc golf community to win this vote with some big numbers.  It only lets you vote once.  I don't know if you have to be registered to see the vote, but I am and it came up on the home page.  Please vote.  The results will be published in this coming Wednesday's edition - I don't know when their cut-off is, but please hurry so your vote counts!

The article says pretty much what I said earlier this year on Feb 5, 2009.  (copied below).   Note - the parks dept decided a month ago to kick the horse boarding company off the site this month. So...with the road, we're getting closer to a course.

"I've been talking, meeting, and all-around pestering the Anderson Parks Directors for years about a possible course at Johnson Park. I've walked the land with their planning director and for several years they have been saying they don't have the money for the park- but that's not the end of it. The key for the park is that they aren't going to allow any large scale use of the park until they develop some infrastructure (paved road, parking lot, and bathrooms). They had been very close to clearing fairways a few years ago, before they ran into the money pit at Beech Acres.

I've met with the new Park Director (the old one resigned last year) and he's on board with hoping for a disc golf course, but there are lots of hoops they have to jump through before it can happen.

Believe me, I'm not going away in regard to this course. I've volunteered the labor to them to make it happen. I'll stay on their case until we get it in. Money shouldn't be a problem - they've spent over $200,000 on skaters at Beech Acres.

It's not a matter of club money. Just of the Parks being ready to open the park. There are a lot of very nice homes surrounding the park and that's an issue - they don't want any 'active' recreation, what-so-ever there. The horse barn/boarding is not willing to leave, easily. That will have to happen before the championship course I have in mind can be installed."

2Timer
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:41:45 AM

It won't let me vote Pete, I even became a member.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:35:43 AM

I was afraid of that.  The papers land in the driveway on Wednesdays, so they have to cut the poll off to go to print a couple days prior.  I've been out of town on vacation for over a week and didn't see it until last night.  That stinks, because it would have been a great chance to show some overwhelming numbers to influence the park board.

The next best thing would be to write, email, or call the members of the park board and the director of the park district.

The website is andersonparks.com

Director:  Ken Kushner    Kkushner@Andersonparks.com

General comments:  info@andersonparks.com

Anderson Township Park District
8249 Clough Pike
Cinti, OH 45244

This summer is the time to put the pressure on the parks - help them realize the demand for a top quality park.  There aren't many pieces of property in the region better than this one, plus Anderson Parks, unlike some other parks departments, takes top notch care of their facilities.  Check out some of their parks and you'll see.  This is what we've needed - great land, great design potential, finally a cincy course that can supplement Mt. Airy for a big 2 day tournament, and a Parks Dept that will keep it looking great.

There's also a survey for Township Residents - with a comment field to add disc golf course request:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=ruGwVobR_2bG_2bu_2bxhv0B7NvA_3d_3d

sexylemming
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 4:19:23 PM

OK I sent an email to Mr. Kushner expressing my support for a disc golf course, if we can get everyone on the forums that would be a major help.  I also put a link to the GCFDA home page and told him there are potential volunteers in the area that could help plan and build the park.  Now we just need to flood his email.
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:25:21 PM

I think since most of us missed the vote deadline we should maybe try to get a group of players to meet with the park board . This may show what the sport is about and what is involved with doing it. I know some course designers that would maybe hellp as well. Let's all blast the emails !!!
pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 6:50:16 PM

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/C2/20090813/NEWS/908130328/

Disc golf made the headline of the Forest Hills Journal....it's coming....little by little....
Erik
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:17:03 PM

Key detail shoved in the side text.  I missed it the first tiem reading through....

Next meeting

* The Board of Park Commissioners will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 10.

* Meetings are conducted in the park district offices in Juilfs Park, 8249 Clough Pike.

* Call 474-0003 to confirm.

pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:31:16 PM

Here are two new articles from the Forest Hills Journal on the Johnson Hills Park plan. 1st one talks about disc golf course being seriously considered. 2nd article lists the public meetings, or open houses, where residents can review the plans and give their comments.

I hope many of you east-side disc golfers will make the effort to attend one of the sessions. Especially the dg'ers that live in Anderson Twp. Please mention how much the Cincinnati area needs an east-side course, how Woodland Mound is too small, poorly designed, and over crowded, and PLEASE mention how this land could feature a PREMIER or TOP-NOTCH disc golf course. Mentioning how you play with your FAMILY or kids would be helpful, because some of the main opponents of the course will be the neighbors who don't want to see lots of single men, cussing and smoking around the houses. Emphasize that it is family friendly and played year round, unlike other sports, and a great way to get EXERCISE and spend time in NATURE.

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/C2/20091015/VAV02/910150365/
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/C2/20091009/NEWS/910090325/

Please help us out. This is the most important time to ensure that the disc golf course is seen as a high priority and if lots of players show up, mention they saw it online or in the Forest Hills Journal, we can make this a reality. There will be people who show up to oppose the course, I guarantee. Don't be part of the 'silent majority' - show up at one of the open houses, and make sure you let them know that you support the disc golf course! Bring a friend or two along with you.  I'm discussing the design with the park designer mentioned in the article, and trying to ensure that we can get a world-class course and not a Heritage kind of course (that was designed by the same Human Nature design firm). Let them know that this can be a lot better than that course, because the land is larger and better suited to a course than the small flood plain at Heritage.

It would be great if one of the meetings was on a Monday, since so many players are already in the area for Woodland Mound doubles, but please give a little of your time to get a big payback! 
Thanks, Pete
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:06:54 PM

Pete, the hours for the open house events are from 9A.M. to 8P.M. Is this just residents showing up and voicing their support, are you familiar with the format of these open house events? Do the opinions of those who do not live in Anderson count? I have several career oriented, professional type friends who play the sport and live in the Eastgate/Amelia area (and several female high school teachers who play as well) who could come out in support. However, I don't want to drag them to one of these events if they're opinions are not welcomed by Anderson Twp.
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:58:11 PM

I'm not sure how they are going to solicit comments during the open houses. I assume they'll have the posters on display and have a voting or polling process. Probably questionaires - that's what Anderson Township has done on other issues. I would also assume they'll ask your address. How they prove that...I don't know. Use a friend's address? Use your own and tell them how you travel to Anderson Twp to play Woodland, already, and when you do you spend money at restaurants or other local businesses?

I think the key thing is that the Community Press on-line had the articles and you will play the new course when it goes in. The design consultant for the park conveyed to me that it will be important for folks to show up to support the concept of a disc golf course, though.

Dates and times, again for the open houses:

Saturday Oct 24 9-11 am Juilfs Park Office
Tuesday Oct 27 9 am – 8 pm Juilfs Park Office
Thursday Oct 29 9 am – 8 pm Juilfs Park Office
Monday Nov 2 9 am – 8 pm Juilfs Park Office
Wednesday Nov 4 9 am – 5 pm Juilfs Park Office
Wednesday Nov 4 6 pm – 8 pm Heritage Center
Saturday Nov 7 1 pm – 3 pm Beech Acres Park RecPlex Gymnasium

Juilfs Park Office is at 8249 Clough Pk, West of 8 Mile Rd.
Heritage Center is at the corner of Forest Rd and Eight Mile Rd.
Beech Acres Park is at 6915 Beechmont Ave.

Please try to make one of the sessions and show your support and interest in the course!!!
cyrusf1
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:37:08 PM

My girlfriend's Mom who lives in Anderson told us about an article she read yesterday in the local paper about a
new 18 hole disc golf course. I was unable to find the article online, so I will try to get the print article from her.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:06:13 AM

Did anyone go to the 1st Master Plan presentation? If so, what was the format? We had too many soccer games Saturday to make the 1st one.

Warning: If the course doesn't get enough public support at these public open houses, don't complain about not having a decent course on the east side of Cincy if you didn't attend and give your vote.
TX Hemi
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:11:53 PM

Didn't make it Sat was at Boone. I will make it down on Tue.
Erik
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 2:10:00 PM

I should be able to make it out that way on Tuesday after I get off work. Directctions are simple for me considering I live on clough. Should be there around 6pm or so. Might even drag the wife along.
Tim Tim
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:57:01 PM

So has anyone been to this course yet? lol
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:01:18 PM

Tim Tim wrote:
So has anyone been to this course yet? lol

This isn't a course yet Tim, it is a park that might someday host a course.
nienaber
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:38:13 PM

haha it's ok Kelly Tim is just little
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:25:17 PM

I went to the open house last night. The master plan for the park looks awesome. I've talked to the park designer this week and he assured me that the course design reflected on the wall maps is just a place holder. It is there to represent the concept of a disc golf course. They are showing a 5 acre fishing lake, camping area, paved exercise paths, and several miles of hiking trails.

They have surveys there for Anderson residents to fill out, but they want to hear people's opinions. Please fill one out and rate disc golf highly (they have 11 other 'park features' to rate). I don't know how they're going to check addresses on the survey - but maybe you have a friend in Anderson?

They are concerned that the YES surveys won't offset the NO surveys from the neighbors of the park. Let's help the numbers.
Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 1:24:17 AM

nienaber wrote:
haha it's ok Kelly Tim is just little

A little guy who pwned ya at banklick laugh
topherb
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 8:54:32 AM

Tim Tim wrote:

A little guy who pwned ya at banklick laugh

I wouldn't brag about that Tim! laugh Come Play me some skins at BANK!thumbsup
Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 10:01:14 PM

Yea Yea... you and your -12 and -14 at Banklick rofl
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:17:29 AM

tim tim and topherb - why do you continue to clutter the message board with your 'IM' kind of postings? Why don't you start a topic titled: "Timtim and Topherb Talk Smack in a Public Venue". That way we could all avoid having to read your drivel.
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:59:54 AM

LOL
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:04:39 PM

[edit] delete [/edit]

Also, I as always agree with limiting the "LOL" and how much smack is going to go down at said round should it happen.  These posts distract from the issues being discussed.

Sorry for the negativity.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:27:24 PM

thats fine...[edit] delete ... [/edit] I mean they had ping pong on ESPN for crying out loud! But to keep my comments pertinent to Johnson Hills Park - Anderson Township. Do we have an update on the survey's and is there anything the cincy disc golf communtiy can do to help?