Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Turtlecreek Options
DanH
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:27:45 PM

Hole #11:  This is a 410 ft par 4 hole.  It's a very narrow fairway that resembles two turnover shots connected together with a small landing area.  So my advice is to throw a turnover/sidearm to the first landing area, and then another one to the pin.  It's a simple strategy that gives me a putt for 3 about 90% of the time.

Lots of people try to throw a flex shot with a driver off the tee.  The reward is not worth the risk for a shot like that in my opinion.  Even if you execute that very difficult shot perfectly, all you've done is made your upshot a little easier for the same score.  There's a better probability of making two good mid range shots than one very challenging flex shot with a driver.

Hole #16: Just assume you are going to hit a tree.  That said, your best bet is to throw low so that when you do hit a tree, it doesn't kick off too far.
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:32:08 PM

Hole #11...unless your name is Matt Blakely...then you throw a backhand roller and give yourself a shot at a deuce. shocked
kylcrow
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:08:58 PM

I have seen some people throw forehand rollers on 17. I was thinking it was a bit risky with all the stuff on the ground (branches, etc). You think that's worth a try? Or should I just be able to throw a disc that long and straight most of the time?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:18:58 PM

Personally, I only use a forehand roller if there is no air shot available because I think the ground is less predictable than the air. An exception to this would be if you think your forehand roller has a better chance of getting lucky than an air shot.  If the rough is thick on both sides, like #17, your air shot actually has a better chance of getting lucky.  So I'd say throw an air shot, and just concentrate on hitting that first gap. This is a good hole to practice your hyzer flip fly straight shot. Anything else will turn too much towards the end.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:01:25 PM

How about 14 (i think thats it) for a RHBH throw?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:45:49 PM

NatiBuckeye wrote:
How about 14 (i think thats it) for a RHBH throw?

Learn to throw sidearm laugh

Vandemark is the only person I've ever seen throw a clean backhand shot there.  It was a flippy roc that he threw with hyzer, and then it turned over and flew like a sidearm for the rest of the way.

Or you can just play it for a 3, and throw a mid range or putter far enough to get a look at the basket for an upshot.

NatiBuckeye
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 10:29:12 AM

DanH wrote:

Learn to throw sidearm laugh

Vandemark is the only person I've ever seen throw a clean backhand shot there.  It was a flippy roc that he threw with hyzer, and then it turned over and flew like a sidearm for the rest of the way.

Or you can just play it for a 3, and throw a mid range or putter far enough to get a look at the basket for an upshot.

glad im on the righ track, Ive been throwing it sidearm alot now.  Unfortunately the fairway is a little wider to the left side than the right.  So you have a much more obstructed view of the basket if you land in the trees to the right.

Thanks dan I know you have really thought your way through this course