Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Miami Township/ Milford Community Park Options
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:02:27 PM

So how is the other park (18 holes) coming along (Miami Meadows park?)
Wonder if this will have any affect on them.
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:19:59 PM

I would guess since they are somewhat in the same area it possibly could affect it.
shyamrox
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:33:25 PM

That sucks :( I hope the park replaces them!! Woodland Mound has sort of "permanent" ones in place where it looks like a metal post is embedded into the concrete and the basket is bolted directly onto the post... is it too late for this park to do the same? I'm guessing so since the concrete is already poured.
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 10:53:11 PM

The park purchased 6 baskets. 3 where donated by Karl's family. This was a memorial park in his honor. That what is even worst is that these %!^*#( ( would steal from something honoring someone !! Actually the ones that are like Woodland and other places are easiler to get out than these are. 
ccs
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:55:51 PM

The park did a good job on reinstalling the baskets. I was surprised by how good hole 3 looks. It was a pretty boring hole before, but now you can take two different routes and the hillside to the right looks nice.
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:05:42 PM

It is really great on how fast the park fixed and reintalled the baskets. I like this set up better. The hole that was moved back is #4 not 3 . Thanks for your support .
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 9:37:05 AM

shyamrox wrote:
That sucks :( I hope the park replaces them!! Woodland Mound has sort of "permanent" ones in place where it looks like a metal post is embedded into the concrete and the basket is bolted directly onto the post... is it too late for this park to do the same? I'm guessing so since the concrete is already poured.

The type of basket that is used at the Milford course is not meant to be installed permanently. They are a portable basket. If you compare the baskets from Woodland to here you'll notice that the baskets at Woodland are a thicker and heavier guage metal.

All baskets will everntually succumb to abuse, but the type that are in Milford will be more easily damaged. Hopefully they can deter people from this kind of activity again.

Kudos to the park on the quick response. It's good to know that the DG community has their support.
StorminSteve
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 9:12:30 PM

The new install of the basket now make them permanment . The bases are removed and the pole now goes from the pan of the basket to about 2 feet down thru the concrete into the ground. If you read the begining post about this park 3 of those baskets were donated by the family of Karl , therefore we had to buy the same type of baskets. ANY BASKETS WILL BREAK IF THEY ARE ABUSED ! I seen 1 broken at Woodland and luckily the group behind us video taped them doing it so when the police arrived they were arrested !
DanTheMan
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 7:00:33 AM

This is my home court, since I live less than a half mile away.

Made my first hole in one in a long time on #1 yesterday.
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 10:35:55 AM

StorminSteve wrote:
The new install of the basket now make them permanment . The bases are removed and the pole now goes from the pan of the basket to about 2 feet down thru the concrete into the ground. If you read the begining post about this park 3 of those baskets were donated by the family of Karl , therefore we had to buy the same type of baskets. ANY BASKETS WILL BREAK IF THEY ARE ABUSED ! I seen 1 broken at Woodland and luckily the group behind us video taped them doing it so when the police arrived they were arrested !

True any baskets can be broken, but a basket that's not meant to be installed permanently usually will be destroyed much easier. I understand that they wanted all the baskets to match and they probably had only so much money in the budget or whatever. I'm glad the course is there. Im glad we have their support.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 11:00:06 AM

Suggestion: Next year we could run fund raising events to buy permanent baskets and then donate the current ones to a local school to use.
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 2:01:41 PM

AdamJ wrote:
Suggestion: Next year we could run fund raising events to buy permanent baskets and then donate the current ones to a local school to use.

That's a good idea.
DanTheMan
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:15:01 PM

basket #7 is pretty wobbly, I just noticed that today, not sure if it was like that yesterday, unless I was just in too much of a hurry to think about it.

shyamrox
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:26:54 PM

Hey Dan, I noticed basket #7 has been wobbly for the past few weeks - I think it may have been like that ever since they repaired the baskets that were vandalized.
DanTheMan
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:49:35 PM

another good round of 9 today. 2,2,3,3,4,2,3,1,4=24 Last hole had toddler hazards.
Erik
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 9:23:42 AM

StorminSteve wrote:
Let me know if anyone dueces number 9 .

Had a spit out on hole 9 for a Duece.  I blame the basket for being installed upside down.  lol

Nice to see a ture lefty turnover shot being incoporated into the game.  They are few and far between.
StorminSteve
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 3:47:54 PM

Number 9 basket is installed correctly now. They fixed it after the vandals hit .
Erik
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:13:36 PM

Will have to make it out there to try it again!
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 7:11:08 AM

Got back to this course yesterday for the first time since the vandals hit and cleanup was done. Lots of changes. Like the course map at the beginning. I was amazed how much brush/tree clearing had been done. You can see half the course from hole one. It was constant play on the course. Just about a group on every hole and we all seemed to play twice through. With all the brush gone along the creek it was a day for lots to put one in the creek (including us). Like the creek but would be nice to have more brush there to keep some out. In my opinion it is a little too open. I like bushes and such to avoid and now there are lots of open shots in the first 5. Was a good day however.
DanTheMan
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 2:20:11 PM

I assume any shot that goes into the creek would cost a penalty during a tourney? I'm relegated to trying to get hole #5 in 3 shots, with the second shot being longer than the first. Getting sick of getting my shoes wet, played the hole over again today trying to get it right, threw to the same exact spot in the creek, lol.

mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:13:16 AM

Yeah we were there with lots of good players and I am not sure one of them did not put it in the creek on 5.
With such a small flat surface, you must land it flat or it will roll down to the creek.
DanTheMan
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:16:02 PM

The soil on holes 1-4 at least have been aerated. Some of the playing surface is a bit muddy.
Erik
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:13:19 PM

mikejenkins1 wrote:
Yeah we were there with lots of good players and I am not sure one of them did not put it in the creek on 5. With such a small flat surface, you must land it flat or it will roll down to the creek.

LOL, try playing Bankilick left handed.  It teaches you to play it safe when you can roll down into a creek, and that creek is far worse than Milfords...
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 2:12:04 PM

Been there, played that. I am a righty however.
But my son and brother-in-law did drop one into the 'water'
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 7:16:46 PM

If everything was open , would there be much of a challenge ? Hole 5 was actually made easiler . We were going to have it go back to where #6 basket is, but we had to shorten it in order to make some changes on the upper holes. Again this is a beginner/family freindly course. It is designed to introduce players to the game, not to discourage them.