Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Miami Township/ Milford Community Park Options
mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:48:18 AM

"Again this is a beginner/family freindly course" Then I would put more green along the creek side of 4 & 5.
MANY people were putting it in the water and becoming very frustrated.
Or at least make access to creek easier. It is straight down and limited access mostly.
DanTheMan
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:25:12 PM

both points are true.

#5 is a bad hole to practice your drives on, unless you bring beach shoes or something. I finally made a birdy quality drive on #5 using my t-rex (is over stable) while side arming it yesterday. Missed the initial first putt, but made several practice putts from that spot, so it was a decent drive, and I proved to myself I could get a 2 on it if I keep at it.

On the other hand, on the creek access points, I'd be inclined to improvise some other ways younger, older, and/or more delicate players might make it across the creek in a few spots other than walking all the way around or splashing through, or sliding down the mudd. There has to be a way to do it without taking away from the natural beauty of the creek. I'm 40 now, I don't want to be climbing out of that creek when I'm 50/60, so I either need to get much better at the game, or place some rocks strategically around the creek between now and then.
StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:33:32 PM

Most of the time the creek is less than 6 inches deep.Any area at this time of the season will be slick and muddy. It isn't bad getting discs out of it. I have left several long sticks along different spots so people could drag their disc out but they always disappear. I will run this issue pass the board but I don't think they will do anything to it other than what has been done. They want to keep the park as natural as possible. Not every hole should be a deuce hole, some holes are designed to be lay ups and approach shots. I'm 51 and don't have any problems going after my disc there, try going down Banlick's creek holes !!
shyamrox
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:20:51 PM

Any word on whether they might install concrete tees at some point? With the rain, the dirt tees are quite a mess.
DanTheMan
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:45:01 PM

or maybe mulch as mentioned by Steve earlier in the thread? but,  I doubt they would want to lay mulch before winter.

If you need help, with this next season I'll try to be around.

StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:19:02 PM

This year was just too see how things went. More things hopefully will happen next season. I know for a fact that we are going to have a least 2-3 glow events at the park. Dan pm me sometime and maybe we can meet at the park.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:52:48 AM

Yes I am 47 and brother in law 48 and it is not the easiest to get in/out of creek safely.
It has not been deep just seems we get it into the pondish areas where there are few good flat rocks
or an easy step down to it. We have put several long sticks out there as well. They help but in those
areas I mentioned, you get it to side of creek but it is still feet away from being able to reach safely.
To me on #5, the limb right as you cross the creek is one of the killers. Dont remove it however. Love
the difficulty there. Just looking to make creek acces safer and a little easier. Was sad to see all the
bush and shub ripped out on 4. Now we throw to the hillside and come around from right side. Whereas before
will all the growth, you went down the fairway and doglegged it right to the hole. I think that was much harder
and preferred.
DanTheMan
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:42:26 AM

I try to lean my risk toward hitting the trees on the right for a brush out. Seems I can reliably score a 3 on it. Working the kinks out of my technique though, since I hadn't played disc golf for most of the last decade. Well have to figure out something about the magical moving sticks. My guess is that kids, hikers, and dog walkers are taking them. Maybe I'll tie a note to one and see if it stays.

StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:54:15 PM

The park board decided to remove the brush without asking our opinion. I myself did not like that. It made hole 4 way to easy. That is way the basket on 4 was moved back as much as possibe to make it a little harder. Thanks for playing it and your input. That is one way for me to approach the board, They do look at this forum as well.
shyamrox
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 5:54:14 PM

Curiously, what par would you say each of these holes are? is it typical to say its a par 3 if its unlisted? I understand that par doesnt really matter, its your overall score that counts, but I'd like know how well I'm shooting...specifically on the 9th hole. (Sorry if this has already been covered in the forums!)
shyamrox
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:04:44 PM

@DanTheMan - Not sure if you're the same Dan I saw out on the course today, but if you are, thanks for picking up debris on the course today! If you're not the same Dan, well thanks to the guy who was cleaning up the course today! :D
DanTheMan
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:59:47 PM

your welcome.

At this course, Par is 3 on every hole, which is normal for disc golf whenever the holes aren't too long.
No one has made a 2 on hole 9 that we know of, although, if you have the whip, it is surely doable.

I'm thinking for a round of 9:
pro 20 or less
advanced 20-24
average 25-28
beginner 29 or more

DanTheMan
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 9:34:36 PM

Lost a white tee rex near creek on #5 ... That's what I get for playing in the snow. has "Dan" on bottom with my phone #
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:38:00 PM

Going to Milford to play Mon. Pm if anyone wants to play , and what time is good for you.
DanTheMan
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 9:29:03 AM

sent a pm
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:08:56 PM

I have been wanting to play there this winter just had no time. Get home from work and it is already dark.
DanTheMan
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 10:34:05 AM

I just realized it was steve and son playing behind myself and another Dan.

What the heck was that blue discraft Steve's son threw to 15 feet away from the trail! Amazing throw man!
DanTheMan
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 6:02:07 PM

It made the miami township calendar.

glow disc golf 9:30 pm
May 13th

ages 8+
5$ per person (per day)
Friday, May 13th and/or June 24th 9:30pm-10:30pm
Don't forget to bring glow sticks and a flash light.

clinics listed in miami township and rec:
disc golf - getting started
ages 8+ 5$ per person per day
sat apr 30 9:30-10:30 or
tue may 19 6-7 or
thur jun 9 6:30-7:30

disc golf - throws and strategy
ages 8+ 5$ per person per day
Sat Apr 30 11-noon or
Thur May 19 6-7
Tue Jun 14 6:30-7:30

StorminSteve
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 9:04:02 PM

Thanks Dan . My son is Shawn. I think on hole 9 when he went pass the hole to the trail , he threw I belive was a force. As for the events coming up, they published them in their monthly magazine and made several flyers to pass out. I have some of them that I will be putting out as time gets closer. These dates where decided upon last year but we had to wait until the board approved everything. Thanks for your support.
StorminSteve
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 8:01:06 PM

Well the little "gangsters" showed up again and decided to spray paint their logo on a few on the tee signs ! If anyone sees people walking around ANY DISC GOLF COURSE WITH CANS OF SPRAY PAINT STOP THEM AND SHOVE IT UP THEIR ( you know what ) . !!!
DanTheMan
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:46:40 PM

I'm a resident of the area, I'll try to drive by the area more often.

shoecrew
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 2:41:31 PM

Im there every other day at least from about noon to sundown trying for more -9's lol..The pads are not awful. you cant run on 3 but you shouldn't need to, 5 around the basket is awful right now but not unplayable. There is a huge stick on 5's fairway you can use to get your disc out of any part of the creek, just put it back please. I am keeping an eye out for kids, there were 3 young (under 13) shooting a paintball gun but i think they were just dry firing it (No paintballs) and it was up by the playground not the course.

A maxweight force is a great disc if you have a strong forehand you can birdy both 5/9 regularly if you S it.
shoecrew
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 11:07:48 PM

DanTheMan wrote:
No one has made a 2 on hole 9 

Im sure someone beat him to it but Sean Tieman 2's this pretty often
DanTheMan
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:49:49 PM

I've been a bit busy to play for awhile,

has hole 7 and 8 dried up a bit yet?
StorminSteve
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:55:27 PM

No We had a clinic there Tuesday and the holes up top were still very wet. Very strange how that area holds water .