Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

USDGC Live Coverage Options
mikekem
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:14:35 PM

BTW, I take it back. That coverage was actually worth a donation.

What about Josh Anthon's record? Unofficial rating of 1085, beating the current course record by 2 is only worth 1085. Thought it would be rated 1100 at the "world's toughest" course.

His interview was real cocky, "I don't see many people beating it no time soon," and "everyone play disc golf, try to beat the score, I dare you."
Madmike
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:50:58 PM

yea im a bit emo on the course too some have witnessed that!!!!! but i do appologize for my actions lol I saw al-man that day and he was not a happy guy!!!!! and everyone knows how he is it takes alot to get under him!!!! but congrats to the guy he won now lets worry about our own tourneys and championships!
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 8:41:17 AM

I don't say what he does on the course is right but if nobody calls him out ,then who's fault is that ? All the years I bowled professionally (14 ) if someone was causing problems and if was against the rules of conduct, then I would call them out. If nobody steps up, then it is the players fault. I see emotions and issues at almost every event. We are individuals not robots. id 10 t
mikekem
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 8:54:48 AM

I disagree with your logic Steve. You're saying it is not Nikko's fault when he acts immature. No one wants to be put in a situation where they have to discipline someone. That affects your game when Nikko goes berserk and you have to act as his parents. He should not put you in that situation to begin with. I hope that age will temper his actions on the course.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 10:03:42 AM

StorminSteve wrote:
I don't say what he does on the course is right but if nobody calls him out ,then who's fault is that ? All the years I bowled professionally (14 ) if someone was causing problems and if was against the rules of conduct, then I would call them out. If nobody steps up, then it is the players fault. I see emotions and issues at almost every event. We are individuals not robots. id 10 t

This thread has migrated to an ethics thread. Sorry Mike K., Steve is dead on in his first sentence. We as a society are so intimidated by confrontation we can't even call rules violations for fear of being "that guy". It is the fault of Nikko's groups that have let him get away with his behaviour without penalizing him.  Now, it is Nikko being the fool but, we are obligated to call it!
Eric Simpson
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 10:39:21 AM

finnhawc wrote:

This thread has migrated to an ethics thread. Sorry Mike K., Steve is dead on in his first sentence. We as a society are so intimidated by confrontation we can't even call rules violations for fear of being "that guy". It is the fault of Nikko's groups that have let him get away with his behaviour without penalizing him.

Sure, it may be the group's fault he isn't penalized for his behavior, but his actions are his own responsibility.  No one is complaining that he isn't penalized for his behavior, they are complaining about his behavior.  Blaming his groups for him being a douche on the course or excusing him because there are other douches in ball golf is flawed logic.  No one is asking him to be perfect and anyone that is competitive can project frustration from time to time, but Nikko has a consistent history of going overboard.  His behavior at this year's BGO didn't win him any local fans.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 10:47:20 AM

There are guys like that everywhere though. I get someone like that at least once every 3 or 4 events. Sure it sucks playing with them but he's no worse than others on the course. He's a kid with a lot of talent and a lot of emotion. Hopefully that emotion can be kept in positive chanels as he grows up but I think emotion is a good thing in sports. Its not the group's fault for his outburts but it is the group's fault for not curbing them by calling rules violations when those outbursts happen. If he starts losing money at events due to penalty strokes for bad behavior, he'll quickly learn to cut that part out.

Did anyone actually listen to the interview right after he made his last putt? He said he tried to not let the bad shots get to him because he knows he can get worked up easily. If the kid can learn to keep his cool, he's going to win a ton of tournaments for a long time to come.
Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 11:35:36 AM

I will say, the kid is REALLY good! Perhaps he thinks that his talent overshadows his actions? All I know is that he caused a big scene when he played at that tourney down here..
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 12:03:14 PM

Otterbein_discgolf wrote:
There are guys like that everywhere though. I get someone like that at least once every 3 or 4 events. Sure it sucks playing with them but he's no worse than others on the course. He's a kid with a lot of talent and a lot of emotion. Hopefully that emotion can be kept in positive chanels as he grows up but I think emotion is a good thing in sports. Its not the group's fault for his outburts but it is the group's fault for not curbing them by calling rules violations when those outbursts happen. If he starts losing money at events due to penalty strokes for bad behavior, he'll quickly learn to cut that part out. Did anyone actually listen to the interview right after he made his last putt? He said he tried to not let the bad shots get to him because he knows he can get worked up easily. If the kid can learn to keep his cool, he's going to win a ton of tournaments for a long time to come.

It is the groups fault for not curbing it, I agree. We see each other at our best and worst out there(on the same hole sometimes)- it is the nature of the game. The rules are one mechanism we can use to allow us to mitigate the worst worsts. Also, he is much worse than most- he fidgets, flips his disc, curses, kicks his bag all while your on the pad ready to throw. From what I hear he is improving but, I was appalled at his Bluegrass Open behaviour as I watched the lead card at Idlewild.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 1:03:11 PM

Well what did he do at the Bluegrass open? Since we are all talking about the things he did at the BGO, and some of us dont know, fill us in please!!!!
topherb
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 1:47:37 PM

The Boone county police report might tell ya what happened!!! LOL
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 4:14:09 PM

This is the first year i started following pro discers, and i even spotted at the bluegrass open so i could see the big guns. Let me tell you Nikko is a extremely talented player, but he seemed like a ass both times he played through my hole. He threw fits after each throw, then to top it off he is crossing 15's bridge to the green while others were lining up there approach over the creek. Nikko sorry your disc went sailing past the pin but stay behind the guy throwing, even ams know that. I resent your statement lee not all bengals fans route for the F*ck ups. I like charcter guys that Marvin has brought in since he failed with odell and others. Final point Nikko will never have a fan in me, and i wont be throwing any crap gateway disc, i mean there top sponsorsed player throws a mixed bag. Nuff said
schick
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 4:33:39 PM

Until you have played more than one round with him in a tourney, you really can not comment on it in my opinion. As some of you have said, it's the groups responsibility...blah, blah, blah....that does nothing except make him do better and you or whoever warns him do worse. I have seen it happen more than once.

We sat on 17 to watch the groups come through last week at the USDGC and Nikko missed a 30 footer for birdie...as he walked through the group of spectators he was dropping F-bombs like no other.

Sure everyone gets mad and a bit out of control at times, but this is every freakin' hole at every freakin' tourney it seems. He is by far one of the best players we have in the sport for sure, I just hope he learns to control himself or he will end up like Cam Todd and be shunned at some point.
L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 4:53:30 PM

Which brings in something else...the PDGA. If we continue down the road to televised events...and a player is adversely affecting the image of our sport with their actions and words during sanctioned play...will we see suspensions and fines?
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 4:55:15 PM

Brad... I saw that you and Cam tied this year. Did you get a chance to play with him down there? I just wonder if his attitude was better now that he is back. I hear all of these horror stories about him, I hope he came back for the love of the game and is enjoying it now. I couldn't imagine playing disc golf as my career. It would ruin the fun of the game for me. Knowing that every shot you take could adversely affect your living the next week would make it hard to stay under control. Granted that doesn't give Nikko the right to act like he does but it would make the game much different than us players that go out to play tournaments for the fun of it. Like I mentioned before, hopefully he grows out of the temper tantrums that he throws.

But if he doesn't then he can just be like Tiger. He's 30+ years old, has millions of fans, and spends more money each year in fines for language violations than any other golfer on tour. He throws clubs when he shanks a ball and every other word is F*#k when he's playing poorly. He's a perfectionist that expects everything to be perfect and doesn't handle himself appropriately when it doesn't. Sounds pretty familiar to me minus the multimillion dollar endorsements, millions of fans, and a lot more media coverage with a longer delay button. :-) Not trying to argue, just trying to put it in perspective.
schick
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 5:04:47 PM

I talked to Cam for a few minutes on the practice field and he seemed like a revived person and seems to be back for the right reasons. He played behind me and I watched him a few times and he was under control at all times I saw. He threw OB on hole 12, then missed a death putt and walked up to putt out with no "show". It was nice to see...my new favorite player to model my behavior after is Garret Gurthie (otherwise known as Double G). He played with me the first round and did not do well at all, you would have thought he was shooting in the 50's though, great attitude and great golfer!
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 5:06:29 PM

During the round at Bluegrass with Tyler, Wil, and Chris Orrick -Nikko was "in control"- flipping his disc constantly(illegally,IMO), walking up even with peoples lies, cursing at missed shots or bad breaks, and that was just the first nine holes while he gained 8 of the ten strokes he trailed Tyler by. Brad, you must admit we as a Disc Golf community haven't handled this sort of tantrum golfer very well. I.e. Feldberg, Todd, Russel, Hammock, Boldevich, and others that have ruined many other golfer's rounds. The group has always let me down whenever I've tried to quelch rudeness on the course. Until, we allow the rules to be called we are stuck with this crud- at least our history has shown this to be true.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 5:11:58 PM

1st of all Lee-please STFU about the Bengals already...and cite the last time any player got in any trouble. I know your team is partial to dog-murderers anyway-so pot meet kettle, and Who Dey B^&tch!

But I do agree with your appraisal of Da Brat. Golf is a very emotional game, and for that reason it is also one where respect, sportsmanship, and decorum are important. This is why over time traditional golf has enacted rules of conduct and exclusivity that can come off as snobbish at times. But issues like this are why those rules are in place. If disc golf is to ever be taken seriously by mainstream culture, this stuff will need to be addressed-especially if the questionnable conduct is coming not from the hacks just starting out-but the top players who really should know better. What kind of message does it send when the best players are a bunch of immature, whiney little punks?

Any player-regardless of skill level-owes it to fellow players to reign in their emotions and not become a distraction. If the PDGA wants the game to be a big time wrestling environment where bad attitudes and lack of class are welcome-then by all means, turn a blind eye to this. But if the game is to call itself 'golf' in any serious sense-then respect and sportsmanship should be valued just as much as ones skills as a player.

finnhawc
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 8:28:42 PM

LMAO Ben-gals fans, I'm a Lions fan, pity me.

Thread return-The archived version of the USDC coverage is really cool.
Madmike
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 10:18:26 PM

at my point in disc golf i have found that if i miss something as like a 5 foot drop in putt laugh it off cause its funny as hell now that i look back at it i did it 3 or 4 times at turtle creek but dont let my name fool ya i get really bent out of shape sometimes huh kelly!!!!!!
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:10:32 PM

How about this scenerio.

Playing with Nikko and Garret Diemler first round at idlewild during BGO. We get to hole 8, I believe I throw first. Than Nikko gets on the pad and decides to throw midrange just to hit the gap and get up to the corner. Well He doesn't hit the gap and hits a tree halfway up the fairway. Cussing and making a ruckus he gets off the tee-pad. Garret gets up and gets ready to throw when Bam, Nikko just kicked his bag very hard and loudly off the area back of tee-area by the bench. Majorly stopping garret and getting everybody in the group worked up. I said right than and there "That is enough Nikko." Damage was done. It got in Garret's head for sure and probably affected me to. Damage done.

Round continues garret is worked, i probably am too but not as much. Nikko settles down for a little bit. Still cussing to himself while he is playing pretty well quietly. Hole 15 he throws his third shot past the basket on the hill to the left. AFter he misses his putt he cusses loudly and comes jumping off the hill. Right than and there I was forced to make the call "This is your official warning now settle down Nikko." I'm sure I got a little argument but he settled down and played more focused and better. Here I am still not focusing and having to deal with him when I should be playing and focusing.

We get to hole #18 and there is a backup. So everybody in the two groups is there and Nikko procedes to call me out like I am in the wrong for giving him a warning. I know better and tell him so, even though he is pissed. I'm pretty sure he threatened to kick my ass but I wasn't worried about him and told him straight up he was wrong and that was that. Do anything more and you are getting stroked. He kept settled down during play and had a good round, while garret and me sucked.

So I should have to baby sit him all round John? So I should be distracted from my game by having to make calls on him all the time? He should plain and simple grow up and respect the players he is playing with and not make such a ruckus.

He is very talented, might be very emotional, but that is no excuse.
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:33:15 PM

I've made these sort of calls before and it is never fun. I'd have to say if I had to make these calls every tournament I'd lose my taste for competitive play.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:06:48 PM

I don't see how any TD would even let this guy enter their tourney. This is not to mention what 'personalities' like this do to any up and coming player's motivation to play Open. I guess it's just up to anyone on his card to be a Jedi about it and not give in to his Sith-like negative energy.
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:13:07 PM

Madmike wrote:
at my point in disc golf i have found that if i miss something as like a 5 foot drop in putt laugh it off cause its funny as hell now that i look back at it i did it 3 or 4 times at turtle creek but dont let my name fool ya i get really bent out of shape sometimes huh kelly!!!!!!

Mike, you were more than bent out of shape at Turtlecreek but once you put your head phones on, you went into your own little world and spared us I think.

As far as calling people out on their actions, it is very hard to do  

As far as the tournament being broadcast, I loved it!  I watched the replays and hole 17 is one I would love to throw... man that was a tough hole for looking to be easy.

DanH
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:00:54 PM

I was kind of surprised that they couldn't rig together a wireless video system, and cover the lead group for most of the holes instead of just two holes. A golf cart with a camera, a laptop, and a couple of 802.11N wifi access points strategically layed out could have covered a lot of the course. Instead they were laying thousands of feet of cable, and only covering two holes. At least it's a first step I guess.