Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Stillwater Open 11-7-09 Englewood Ohio Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:45:34 PM

That goes for me too!
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:31:36 PM

yeah otterbein is one of those secret disc golfers...

on a real serious note spell my freakin' name right!

does anyone have a way to check with pdga and see how often it happens that all AM divisions win with the same score...it can't be that often!
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:41:00 AM

Im just messing with you Jeff, My bad if you took it the wrong way... This is TJ, and i really didnt mean to do any name dropping with the intentions of  pissing anyone off. So I do apologize man...
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:39:52 AM

Matt I'm definitely not a bagger. I usually play pretty horribly when playing AM2. I don't really even know why I do it to myself. Every time I play AM1 I play up closer to where I feel my game is in my head.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:54:54 AM

Otterbein_discgolf wrote:
Matt I'm definitely not a bagger. I usually play pretty horribly when playing AM2. I don't really even know why I do it to myself. Every time I play AM1 I play up closer to where I feel my game is in my head.

That's because the guilt of bagging isn't there when you play AM1.laugh

Great tournament, Holly!
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:57:19 AM

EXMONEY@HARBIN wrote:
Im just messing with you Jeff, My bad if you took it the wrong way... This is TJ, and i really didnt mean to do any name dropping with the intentions of  pissing anyone off. So I do apologize man...

He's not mad, I told him who you were ;-)
maddenj
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:59:47 AM

EXMONEY@HARBIN wrote:

i didnt know who it was thats why i got so pissed, but don't worry about it. im sorry too for bein so bitter, in sense u were trying to compliment me  and i took it the wrong way. so its all good.
nienaber
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:07:20 AM

Craig you play AM II because of all the great people that occupy that division and maybe you see it at as a "slump buster"

either way in the end if you play within your rating then it doesn't matter...people usually call ya a bagger if you are kicking their butt or like in finney's case they are really good and like to tease!

when someone calls me a bagger I take it is a compliment! I'll prolly move up...i'd feel more comfortable about it if i was a little more consistant. Anyone have any tips on how to have 2 good rounds of disc golf in a row?
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:15:39 AM

"The newcomers are going to be playing against the Wootens, andersons, neinebars, bretlands, and Madden. And **** if you walked out to your first tourny ever and got grouped up with Jeff, and watched him throw. Youd be thinking you made a terrible mistake by signing up!"

This may be true, but the point of competition is putting yourself out there and seeing how you stack up. In my 1st tourney, I thought I'd be able to hang in Am2. I'd played casually for years and thought I was decent. Well, at 26 years old, I ended up on the last card of Am2-and they put us with the juniors (a 14 year old and a 9 year old)..I barely avoided DFL-it was humbling. But this didn't make me sorry I played, it just showed me that there is a whole lot of good players out there and that if I wanted to hang at all-I'd need to get better.

Guess my point is that disc golf is a great game period. You don't need competition to have fun playing (sometimes I really prefer a lazy casual round)...but if you're going to compete, it may as well mean something. When you can play what you feel to be a sloppy tourney-and still cash-it's time to move up.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:23:32 AM

Ben, I sure wish you made a good point, gosh!laugh 
Seriously though, you nutshelled it, once again.thumbsup
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:22:45 PM

maddenj wrote:

i didnt know who it was thats why i got so pissed, but don't worry about it. im sorry too for bein so bitter, in sense u were trying to compliment me  and i took it the wrong way. so its all good.

Cool Man... I was hoping you wouldnt be to pissed when you saw it was me! :)

andersab
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:19:38 AM

finnhawc wrote:
Ben, I sure wish you made a good point, gosh!laugh 
Seriously though, you nutshelled it, once again.thumbsup

He's definitely a great wordsmith :-)
perica
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:36:12 AM

While goofing around on the pdga site last night, I noticed something interesting. The Seneca Creek Soiree last year offered a sliding entry fee based on player rating. Those rated over 990 had to pay the full 90 bucks, while those under 919 payed half that, with two other price breaks in-between. No amateur divisions were offered. The open field had 48 players.

This sounds like a great technique to get people to move up and see what it's like with the big dogs while not having to fork over the huge fee and at the same time boost the total purse.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:21:20 PM

If they had that sliding entry fee... I would play Open. I playing AM1 (and AM2) because it is usually a huge jump in price between AM1 and Open.

There are some courses where I feel like I could hang in Open but don't want to invest $70+ to find out.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 12:27:37 AM

Then stop playing am2!

I watched the Seneca Creek all year. Great idea. I've always wanted to run a tournament where the payout was announced before sign ups started, and this seems like the perfect format. The problem is the sliding entry fee creates a premium on top rated players' entry fees, rather than a discount for lower rated players. Look at the payouts. VERY weak for an A-Tier. It would work quite well as a C-Tier with $2,500 added cash.
DanH
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 2:12:05 AM

As long as the PDGA disallows Ams who have accepted cash from playing Am majors (Worlds, USADGC), I think it will be hard to get people to move up. Especially in our area where Am Worlds is going to be in Ohio in 2010. But I like the sliding entry fee idea in principal.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 1:06:59 PM

But if they still allowed AMs to accept merch instead of cash then that would fix the issue of staying AM to play AM Nats and Worlds.
DanH
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 4:06:11 PM

What TD is going to want to run a Pro only event with a sliding entry fee, and still have to worry about a merchandise payout though? Especially when the amount of merchandise to pay out is unknown until after the tournament.
perica
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 8:49:48 AM

NEngle wrote:
The problem is the sliding entry fee creates a premium on top rated players' entry fees, rather than a discount for lower rated players. Look at the payouts. VERY weak for an A-Tier. It would work quite well as a C-Tier with $2,500 added cash.

I think it creates both a premium and a discount.  $2500 added would be great for any tournament.  I don't think they even met the minimum of added cash for an A-tier at Seneca though.  So the low payouts can't be solely attributed to the sliding entry fee.