Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Distance Competetion Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:52:42 AM

Distance Competetion immediately following the bag tag challenge.  Sunday Nov 22, 1;30ish.
Cost: $10.00 per person for  20 throws.
1 division, pay top 1/3. cash.  Only longest throw counts per person.
I will post here on where to meet.  Right now I am looking for a field close to Cincy State.  I think there is one on Spring grove ave.

Traveling plaque for the winner.

If you want to see how far you really throw, we can measure your throws after the competetion. 

Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:28:15 PM

Weather permitting we will meet on the fields across from Spring Grove Cemetary on Sunday after the Bag Tag Challenge or around 1:30. Everyone will throw 5 throws at a time then we'll measure and throw again etc...

Directions - From 75 going north take the Mitchell ave exit turn left go to spring grove avenue and make a left and fields will be about 1/2 mile on left.

my cell number is 859-630-4142

Post here if you have questions.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:10:14 PM

bump
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:54:36 PM

Gary Costa is Cincinnati's "Mr D" for 2009 with a throw of 458 feet.
For those of you that think that isn't that far you should try a distance competetion. Golf distance and true distance are completely different. It's not that easy.
Congrats Gary...
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:26:57 AM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Gary Costa is Cincinnati's "Mr D" for 2009 with a throw of 458 feet. For those of you that think that isn't that far you should try a distance competetion. Golf distance and true distance are completely different. It's not that easy. Congrats Gary...

All I know is  we watched him drive to the parking lot straight out on Mt Airy's Hole 5 (old 10) on Sat.- that's pretty damn far.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 12:08:47 PM

I had a blast throwing with you guys Fred. Reviewing the video I saw a couple things i can work on technically to improve my backhand D-line. The pics I took are insane! I rely on a 360 for my bigger lines, but realize that im gonna have to stay super limber to compete the way I want to, im hurtin lol. JP uses and swears by the Equalizer, his snap is outrageous..... I will be in for mine, lawrence
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 3:32:54 PM

hey fred, i studied the video clips i took at the d competition last fall and been wrkin on my 360 D lines at shea stadium. Throwing near 450 regularly, which is a 50 ft increase. New personal record is 477....still wrkin out the kinks. I feel 500+ could be on my horizon. Love to show u these clips of ur drive and pick ur brain sometime this spring. shea stadium is an awesome venue for driver wrk.....maybe we can get a day in, anybody?

Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 5:28:44 PM

Lawrence, that is awesome. Glad to hear your distance has improved. I was impressed with your form at the competetion. The 360 really does add a lot of distance to your drives but is hard to master, especiallly off a tee pad. Sounds like you're ready to take the old man on. Keep up the good work. I would love to meet you at shea stadium but don't go to New York that often.

BTW, we have pictures of you on the nati website.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 6:47:04 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Lawrence, that is awesome. Glad to hear your distance has improved. I was impressed with your form at the competetion. The 360 really does add a lot of distance to your drives but is hard to master, especiallly off a tee pad. Sounds like you're ready to take the old man on. Keep up the good work. I would love to meet you at shea stadium but don't go to New York that often. BTW, we have pictures of you on the nati website.

lol, shea stadium is here in norwood fred....its amazing! noone is there this time of yr, bermuda grass, rubber track(no scuffed discs), uprights to throw thru as a fun way to stretch our bombs out. never mind the perfect left to right tail wind, seriously..... it is insane perfect on most days. Also, thanks for the compliment, but im NOT ready to take the old man on......who's the old man anyway?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 7:15:23 PM

Wow! Shea Stadium in Norwood. It IS a small world. Set up a time, I and anyone that wants to pick up a few tips will show up. It's gotta be a decent day though. Can't wait. I'll bring all the latest discs(Nukes,Pro Katana's(all other Katana's are fund raisers, champ and star) Bosses, my stash of destroyers, wraiths, P38's, cyclones and Banshee's. Just kidding on the Banshee's. Keep us posted.
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 8:46:40 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Wow! Shea Stadium in Norwood. It IS a small world. Set up a time, I and anyone that wants to pick up a few tips will show up. It's gotta be a decent day though. Can't wait. I'll bring all the latest discs(Nukes,Pro Katana's(all other Katana's are fund raisers, champ and star) Bosses, my stash of destroyers, wraiths, P38's, cyclones and Banshee's. Just kidding on the Banshee's. Keep us posted.

oh, im in heaven now.....never had a chance to throw so many different drivers in a bunch like that. for instance, Ive never thrown a boss ...... May find a new toy huh. One question, my white 167gr katana is a roller disc for me.....wht the heck? i mean, i added the color because i hear tht white can be more understable but this disc is SUPER flippy???? i know this is conversation for another thread but since we tlk about distance here, why not tlk about our D-line plastics. A fun day/drive clinic at this facillity would be awesome.....tlk w you soon about it
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 12:53:58 AM

The katana is made for the disc golfer that hasn't mastered the "D". I've tried it and still throw the boss and destroyer farther. IT is not "the" miracle disc(neither is the nuke). It's you that has advanced to the players that can throw "far". Welcome. Let's meet and you will be throwing even farther. Practice really pays off, wouldn't you agree? The world distance record is with a "Valkyrie". What does that tell you. BUT, your average player will throw farther with these new fangled discs amd they are player friendly. Keep in touch. How many push ups and pull ups can you do?
pcaldwell
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 12:23:07 PM

I hope Fred isn't going to challenge anyone to pullups...that didn't work too well for him at Banklick. Enough can't be said for disc practice at football fields, especially the artificial turf ones. The yard markers really let you know how far your discs REALLY go. Throw a stack of putters, rocs, drivers, etc. and see how the shot group ends up. Take the average of them and remember that distance. Do it for both flat shots and hyzers. You'll probably find that the number you have in your head, now, for those discs may be a bit off. I've seen many players visualize their distance from a certain local hole "I throw a roc on #2 at Banklick, therefore I throw them 360'", forgetting the elevation change and right to left sloping skip finish. I also don't put much faith in the new discs to be magic distance tools. My Orcs, Destroyers, Wraiths, and even XLs max out about the same distance (usually a bit further than Fred's laugh  ), but take completely different paths to get there. I think the key is to decide on a disc, and then learn the perfect release angle (both hyzer angle and trajectory angle) to maximize the distance for that disc's unique flight pattern. Then stick with it. I think people always trying new discs leads to a lack of confidence on the tee, when you have to trust that if you throw it correctly, it will have the desired result. The great improvement in the new distance drivers is their ability to get long, LOW, STRAIGHT, distance...otherwise known as GOLF DISTANCE. The big horking flex and helix shots are good for show and #4 at Harbin, but where else do they help golf scores?
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:40:29 PM

I agree, D-lines have very little to do with disc golf.....we just like throwin 'em. But i am starting to edge closer to an honest duece look on #18 at harbin...the only way that t-pad will treat me any better is if i throw my arm off some more and close that next 50 ft gap.

also, i just tried to see how many push-ups i could do. I went down and couldnt get back up....so, none is the answer. Well, i did kick 6 inches of snow around all day at banklick w steel toe boots on. brutal
I3u6sIe
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:51:54 PM

Speaking of hole 18 at harbin, that darn tee sign needs to be moved away from the teepad some. I have smacked it twice on my follow through and my buddy John has done it as well. I absolutely HATE playing that hole because I'm always afraid of breaking my hand, no joke. I don't have the distance to deuce it, but still scares me and causes me to gator arm my drives every time
dmorrical
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:48:21 AM

Drive for show, put for dough, good job Mr. Costa wish I could drive that far.
gary costa
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:03:40 PM

when is the next distance competetion??
gary costa
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 10:43:25 AM

ATTENTION!!! LONG DRIVE COMPETITION! FREE! SPONSORED BY THE NATI DISC GOLF! long drive competition is being held at A.J. Jolly after the CCS on sat. the april. 16th there will be a pro and am. division- trophy for longest drive in each division! come out and see if you can be the new nati long driver! last years record is 458 feet! i know we can get beat that!  who will be the new Mr. D for 2010???
Madmike
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:16:00 PM

it will be me and my 482 on flat here in bowling greens distance comp lol
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 7:51:25 PM

unless wiggins jr shows up
Madmike
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:06:50 AM

i highly doubt that he will show lol
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 3:11:30 PM

I think he may have lost if he would have showed.

Congrats to Lance Fair for throwing the longest throw ever thrown in a distance competetion in the "Nati" area.
576 feet to win the open division.
Congrats to Spencer ? for winning the Am division with a throw of 507 feet.
Lance threw a Destroyer(not sure of the weight). It looked like it was well worn in though because he threw it with hyzer and it flipped and kept going and going.
While Spencer threw a newish light weight(165 gr) "Nati Nuke"(a nuke borrowed from the nati stack, which he promply bought).

Congrats gentlemen, see you in the fall competetion. We(the competetion) will be gunning for you.

Last years champ Gary Costa couldn't hang around. He had to go break his tent down at the lake. I think he was scared. LOL
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:36:52 PM

hey guys, i left a cupl discs at the distance comp. a new white w green stamp esp surge and sumthin else maybe. anyway, congrats to lance.....WOW!!!!! btw, hes 15 yrs old....not sure hes gonna slow down for any old dogs like us fred lol. imagine him in 2 more yrs, i hear the phone ringing frm discraft or innova honestly. somebody better grab this kid up and i mean quick
nienaber
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 7:30:17 PM

i have played with lance twice and he is a really nice kid. pretty cool seeing all his potential. I think he pushed past 500ft at the landmark disc golf challenge from the top of the hill back to the parking lot...

congrats Lance!
Madmike
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:06:43 AM

its too bad i couldnt keep a handle on my discs i was tryin too hard!!!!!!!!!