Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2010 CCS Options
Valet
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:36:16 AM

I was wondering if there's any information available that outlines how the CCS works.  I've never played in it before and came across a post on here from 2007 (if I remember correctly) that stated there was a document attached that outlined how it works.  No doc was attached though.  Does a doc like that exist?
T_Vincent
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 12:12:29 PM

Under the events tab is a page for the CCS. It does a good job of giving info on how the CCS works. This year non-member novice players will have a non-member fee. Also the schedule for this years CCS has not been determined. This will be discussed at the Feb. Club Meeting.

We would love for you to join us. It is a great way to be introduced to tournaments.
Valet
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 2:53:56 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. Tourney play is a bit intimdating when you're starting out.
discndat
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 4:28:08 PM

Valet, the CCS is a great way for newbies to start out - they are competitive tournaments but they are meant as a stepping stone or learning path toward bigger competitions and/or just an event for people to get together and play against one another. You'll learn a lot, meet a lot of good people and have a lot of fun. We try to limit the intimidation as much as possible.
Valet
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 5:07:33 PM

LOL, I'll appreciate the attempts to limit the intimidation!
topherb
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 5:21:53 PM

discndat wrote:
Valet, the CCS is a great way for newbies to start out - they are competitive tournaments but they are meant as a stepping stone or learning path toward bigger competitions and/or just an event for people to get together and play against one another. You'll learn a lot, meet a lot of good people and have a lot of fun. We try to limit the intimidation as much as possible.

Yeah I will get him to go dan even if I have to drag him LOL  ! 
Madmike
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 7:51:27 PM

Its not the intimidation you have to worry about its the constant drama that wraps itself around the novice division!!! LOL
Erik
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:38:08 AM

The nice thing about being a new placer in Novice in the CCS is how you get paired up with better players for the first round. So you might have an open player, a grandmaster and an advanced player all on the same card for your first 18 holes. So you get to play with new people that are more experienced.

For this reason I also like Wednesday night leagues as a novice player get paired up with a better player for the whole league session. Both are great ways to learn.
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:18:46 AM

Madmike wrote:
Its not the intimidation you have to worry about its the constant drama that wraps itself around the novice division!!! LOL

LOL Drama ? Is there really drama in the Novice division? I know it's not really set up the same way anymore now that we have the overall champion trophies, but it used to be that you would play novice for 2 or 3 tournaments to learn tournament play rules then move up to advanced. I loved playing advanced because you didn't have the drama you get when you play Open.
Valet
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:50:51 PM

I got married to fill the "drama void" in my life. No need for any more. Seriously, I do hope to get out to a Wed night at Lincoln Ridge. (Side note, lights for the discs are provided, right?)
Madmike
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:35:43 PM

Yes drama lol I know there was at least last season but i am playin advanced this year in the CCS if i have the money too if i dont ill either no show or play novice
topherb
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:46:29 PM

Valet wrote:
I got married to fill the "drama void" in my life. No need for any more. Seriously, I do hope to get out to a Wed night at Lincoln Ridge. (Side note, lights for the discs are provided, right?)

no you buy them
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:24:03 AM

Valet wrote:

Provided you bring some money to purchase them from Jeff. You may find someone that will let you borrow one, but they aren't provided. 
topherb
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:59:06 AM

Madmike wrote:
Yes drama lol I know there was at least last season but i am playin advanced this year in the CCS if i have the money too if i dont ill either no show or play novice

You will be playing with the same players! Ha LOL
Madmike
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:46:42 PM

Then Im just going to play open lol
Valet
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:30:29 AM

Is the 2010 schedule determined at the club meeting in February?

topherb
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:59:15 AM

yes
topherb
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:59:52 AM

they will post the entire year after they decide at the meeting
agentdozzer
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:36:43 PM

So the courses that are should definitly hold ccs every year are
1. Idlewild
2. Banklick
3. Mt Airy
4. Harbin
5. Oxford
So for the other four my suggestions would be Boone, Gulley, AJ, and Monroe. I think a Boone county CCS With round 1 at boone and round 2 at idlewild would make for a great day of golf, and allow for a tournament at a different course. Rapid Run was the bomb but it most of taken alot of work, so if the people with know how want to run a temp course again i would be behind it. I am a first year club member and plan on learning so in future years i can be one of the people with the know how.
mikekem
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:43:41 PM

Don't hold your breath, the parks want $500 event fees for the use of the park. Disappointing I know. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about that. Maybe a polite letter explaining that you love the course and wish that your a member of a non profit organization that can't afford to pay event fees but would love the use of the park. Warren County parks.

The club has donated a lot of time on the park and Dan H has donated a lot of his own personal money and time into the park.
agentdozzer
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:46:31 PM

That is very disappointing, sorry I often edit my post right after i make them.
 Wasnt thinking of Houston woods would that be ready for tournament play this year? If so it should probally be on the short list.
STEVO
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:41:01 AM

I agree that Boone/Idlewild would make a good pairing for a course challenge. Dan always did a good job when he used that setup for Ice Bowls, and it would make for a shorter day than playing two rounds at Idlewild. I also like the idea of a Monroe/Turtlecreek CC, especially if Cincy and Dayton don't do a combined series this year. Those two courses are only 10-15 minutes apart.

If we are going to do a throwback tourney like Rapid Run was last year, what about Mt. Echo? Very fun and good layout, and a little more spread out than Rapid Run...
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:34:56 PM

So the CCS schedule will be posted tuesday?
pcaldwell
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:06:23 PM

Hopefully it will be posted, soon after the meeting. If Monday's Feb meeting is anything like the last 15+ years of February meetings, the CC Coordinator (Dave Marlow this year) will propose his schedule and then we'll kick it around with suggestions and questions. TD volunteers will be requested for the events. When the CCS schedule is set, red smoke will be sent up the chimney for all to see. One reason our schedule trails other clubs' schedules, is that we try to avoid the painful mid-season realization that some regional PDGA event will pop up and create a conflict. Adjusting a CCS event later in the year to accomodate another tourney is nasty - usually results in just as many problems. Of course, there aren't many weekends clear of tourneys, in recent years. Temp courses are always possible, but require a whole lot more volunteer work to mark holes, gather and place baskets, and coordinate with the Parks and park users who don't want to yield to frisbees. As for the CCS rules/divisions etc...might be a fun meeting. Remember, only current members are able to vote on issues. It's been fun to read the posting about intermediate/rec/adv divisions this week. It's been the same arguments each year for many years, pro and con. Novice only recently was reinstated a season-ending award, because of historical bagging and the reality that many players are only Novice for a few tourneys until they're ready to play Advanced. Plus, moving points earned in one division to another introduces a whole lot of fairness issues. The biggest motivator for divisional changes over the last 16 years I've been involved in the Club meetings, has been driven by supply and demand. We can't handle much more than 90 players per event. If we're filling up, then there's no need to attract more players. The CCS has evolved into a less-than-PDGA event: with tiny entry fees, a chance for local players to play close to home, a chance for new local players to try their hands at 'competitive play', and a less time demanding tournament (eat breakfast and dinner at home). Thus the flat payouts, and fewer divisions. Plus, the more complicated the structure, the more difficulty for the TD volunteers, who are often Novice TD's getting their feet wet. Hopefully, they'll become future PDGA TD's benefiting us in future years.
agentdozzer
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:53:27 AM

Looks like this year there will be a temp course at devou in August, I am super pumped for this one gonna be sweet.