Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

10 meter circle Options
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:56:30 PM

I was watching some YouTube because I was bored and saw the following putting clinic by Dave Feldberg:

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrnJCoW7Z3I
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9trYHrJxA

I highlight Part 5 &6 because it goes over the updates to the rules for PDGA sanctioned play for putting inside and outside the 10 meter circle.  I find it most interesting that Feldberg admits that what he was doing last year was wrong..and would be illegal this year.  The step putting...the jump putting...and especially the 'Toe Tap'.  I know most of us have issues with what's been gone over in this video...I think it is a good view for everyone.
T_Vincent
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:49:38 PM

Very interesting. I know I have done some of those things as well. I never was a real "jump putter" but I have seen many people do it, now I know.

Thanks for the heads up Lee.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:08:47 PM

great post lee...

Unfortunately I now have to figure out how to show all my students these youtube clips because Dave shows his walking method in the fundamentals video I always show..

Also my two cents... Without video equipment we have no real way of enforcing this in local tournaments...
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:24:43 PM

At the local level...I think we can just give people a friendly heads up in our CCS and weekly events. Most people aren't 'cheaters'...they just 'make illegal putts'. I've had Jeff Eades tell me he thought my jump putt was illegal...he didn't call a foot fault..but made me aware that I may want to alter it...and I did. I've made a lot of transition in my putting game lately..and my high scores have reflected my difficulty overcoming trying to unlearn bad habits. I think if we simply just explain to new people on our cards what is and what is not a legal putt in a calm, non condescending, non aggressive manner...people will appreciate the input and learn the right way to start with. Most people don't actually know the rules...they just copy people better than them and emulate their technique and behavior. I learned more in that 6 part video than I think I have all of last year.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:43:50 PM

thanks lee...since apparantly i have been cheating : )
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:54:41 PM

Matt...I've never really noticed your putting...what are you doing wrong? Me...I was jump putting illegally. I was walking tru on my < 10m putts...I wasn't showing proper balance...I was toe tapping...and you know what? Today I probably threw 200 putts...and I kept cussing myself for not planting my left foot to show balance before moving forward to retrieve my putts. This is going to be a very difficult habit to unlearn. I'm sure some of you Saturday will be calling foot faults on me all day long. I may seriously shoot >100 with penalties.
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:57:32 PM

Dave should have been a lawyer.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:00:18 PM

i just watched the video and he is still doing the exact same thing he was doing before...i don't see any difference in the step putt he shows here from the one he showed in the dvd fundamentals and the one that i did all last year. Only thing I took away from this was that you have to put your back foot down before going forward after you putt inside 10meters.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:04:16 PM

my dad struggles with that inside 10. I thought it was saying the walk through putt was illegal which is how i putt outside 10 but it looks like it is ok. I got some flak from time to time from people who were trying to say it was illegal which sucks because i am a very mental player and it kind of takes a stab at the ole confidence if people hint that it is cheating.
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:26:47 PM

Explain your walk thru putt...I've seen some where the persons foot is in the air above and beyond their mini before they release...which to me seems it would rob all your pushing off power of the back leg...like the little clip Dave shows of what the step putt was bastardized into.
I3u6sIe
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:24:27 PM

Um tried to watch them, signed up for youtube (which is about stupid might I ad) and it says the video is private and I can't watch them... I have lost all respect for google...
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:31:27 AM

They must have them blocked now. I watched them all last night. Some good stuff there. I know there was a little controversy last year at the BG open with Nikko's jump putting. I'll have to pay more attention to my stance now.
nienaber
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:10:01 AM

yeah lee i say that and I think I do my walk thru much like Dave does. Atleast I try to... I actually would like for someone to watch me do it and make sure I am legal.

Lee are you going to the BG Ams this year?
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:44:10 AM

I wasn't going to go...because of the fiasco that last year was...but I've been assured by all involved there that situation will never happen again. I'm allowed to play all the way down to an Intermediate with my current rating...I'll most likely play Advanced Masters....eventhough I don't want to play Phil Moore....that park sucks. I don't play well at Lovers Lane...at least not compared to everyone else...love the park..but statistically speaking...I stink there. However...I can't go to Bowling Green without playing Hobson. Don't forget about BiG D's Bar-B-Que!!! Jimmy D's!!! I'm sure I'll be ready for a week off from work by then.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:05:45 PM

WHat happened last year? Sorry to stall the discussion, im just a curios man!
I3u6sIe
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 2:30:48 PM

Are these videos related to jump putting only or putting in general? If they are based on jump putting I have no worries b/c my bag doesn't have a jump putt in it, well, it does but I'm much better off leaving it there. I plan on playing in the BG ams and would like to be properly prepared so can anyone plz inform me about these "illegalities" that are being discussed?
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:05:11 PM

It is the best video on putting that I've ever seen....my guess is that Dave had them pulled from You Tube because they are on a DVD for sale. It is mostly on push putting and a little on spin putting with the last two sections going over the legalities of putting in the PDGA this coming season.
Erik
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:07:36 PM

EXMONEY@HARBIN wrote:
WHat happened last year? Sorry to stall the discussion, im just a curios man!

I second this?  what happeend?
I3u6sIe
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:19:12 PM

Copyright laws...

Well I may have to invest in that DVD I suppose. My putting as of late has been horrendous (spelling?).
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:27:56 PM

Eric, EXMONEY....go to the Bowling Green Message Boards and read the threads from last years event...for a Top 10 finish out of a huge field..you got a Striker, a midrange and a putter...oh..and a few stickers...because they had no money left for payouts after a ...we'll call it a blunder....involving the host hotels convention centers rental fee....
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:02:32 PM

Do they measure the ten meters from the pole or front of basket? Its good to hear even the pros dont understand this one, Kinda funny how a top five or ten guy admits he was wrong. Wish i coulda seen them before they were taken down.
nienaber
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:30:39 PM

yeah it sounds like bg is gonna be much better this year.

I think b-level events and higher should have the 10 meters marked out clearly. otherwise there should never be any complaints about people being inside or outside 10 meters. thats like having a three point shot in basketball w/o a line marking it...the ref just makes judgement calls. i understand it would take extra work but if a TD doesn't want to do extra work then they should just run c-tier events. But that is being said from someone who doesn't run events, but i have played events that have the 10 meters marked and it was fantastic! (lexington, Lyle McCoon is a great TD)

all in all I think it is awesome how Dave handles the situation and I am just glad that walk through puts outside 10 meters are still legal (not that I make many of them) If you guys have never seen the discFundamentals dvd I highly recommend it.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 9:26:55 PM

ok i think this should work we can see the video now

http://www.svdgc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=138&st=0&gopid=232&#entry232
agentdozzer
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:04:15 AM

I dont play pdga events but have a practice basket and would like to mark the ten meters should I measure from pole or front of cage?
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:14:32 AM

Measure from the pole.