Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cabin Creek Options
dmorrical
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:53:00 AM

Curious to know what if anything is going on at Cabin Creek, and if anyone has Scott's phone number. Would like to give him a call and see if I/we can still play out there or if it's been retrofitted for full time paintball? Thank you. 
dmorrical
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:13:04 AM

never mind I found it. looks as though it's full time paintball now they have a website and everything. I'm hoping it has paid of for Scott, he has put a lot of effort into Cabin Creek.
Jay Dub
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:43:37 AM

We played Cabin Creek last week. There is no evidence of paint ball activity but the land is covered with the paint ball obstacles. :( Holes 1 and 2 are playable. 3 is kind of playable. 4 we had to make a new tee and it was still not too good, 5 is ok, 6 is ok with obstacles in the way. 7 is ok, 8 you have to throw over obstacles, 9 is blocked by growth, 10 has obstacles, 11 has growth in the way, 12 has a wooden structure built against the basket, 13 is ok, 14 has obstacles but playable, 15 is ok, 16 has been moved and is now a lucky lefty hole, 17's tee is missing and 18 is unplayable.
shex44
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 1:53:25 PM

What is cabin creek? Private? How do you get to play there? Do you need to know someone? I would love to play there, but can't figure out how. I have called there at least ten times this year, and they said I wasn't allowed.
kmaupin
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 2:11:00 PM

shex44 wrote:
What is cabin creek? Private? How do you get to play there? Do you need to know someone? I would love to play there, but can't figure out how. I have called there at least ten times this year, and they said I wasn't allowed.

It is a private course, they are more focused on using their property for Paintball now so you may never get to play there. 

I feel lucky to have played it in it's prime but understand why their focus changed.

Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:24:41 AM

From what I've heard this course is dead... maybe we can talk them into selling us their baskets so we can use them to build a new course somewhere else =) seriously though
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:29:47 AM

I guess I could give them a call and talk to them about the future of the course. I wouldn't doubt that if a few of us offered to help clean it up they would let us use it. Cross yo fingas.
kenbowski
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:17:22 AM

Hopefully they open it up because I can drive right past it on my way home from work. Keep us updated if you find out any more about.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:26:57 AM

just a quick fyi

Only those that are members of Cabin Creek (only those that are know, and most helped install the course) are allowed to play by appointment.
Cabin Creek is primarily paintball and that's their business and we should all respect that.
I am talking with them about the future of disc golf there and if there will be a future for it.
They have no current plans to remove the course so there is still hope.
They have noticed a lot more interest from players lately calling about being able to come play.
There are a lot of variables involved with maintaining the course, and time and money issues are difficult for most to comprehend.

As soon as I hear more I will let you all know.
just be glad that the course is still around. remember that vandalism of the paintball course was just one reason for closing the course to the public. We are all representatives of the sport and what we do on and off the course is a reflection of our sport.
nienaber
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:31:48 PM

"money issues are difficult for most to comprehend"

i don't many disc golfers that don't have money issues...or some other kind of issue : )

I would love to play this course! somebody should suggest pay-to-play. I would drop 5 bucks to play all day (thats what the rate was at maple hill in mass).

Just a thought...
Moses
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:39:28 PM

i love the idea of a pay to play course. you get more serious golfers and fewer people interupting your game.
Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 3:11:57 PM

That is all true but I'm not going to pay to play at a course that is less than great. I mean if that's the case I'd rather pay for gas and go play Idlewild and Airy all day for free lol But you get what I'm saying though hopefully... Maple Hill and Blue Ribbon Pines are both pay to play courses, but are also "AMAZING" courses.
Moses
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 4:34:17 PM

Yeah i agree it would have to be top notch
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:56:48 PM

Cabin Creek, through most of its prime, was $5/day, or $20 for the whole year, and more or less by appointment. Most who played it then considered it the most "fun" course in the Cincinnati area. Moderate to slightly difficult, it was similar to Banklick/Lincoln Ridge in hole variety and birdie opportunities. The terrain changes, the huge mature trees, and the old cabin on hole 7 gave it an "1800's" feel. It was used regularly in the 90's for Course Challenges, and was a feature course for the '98 Pro Worlds (including the safari final 9--a gallery of 300+ in the Erkenbreckers' back yard- sweet!).

Paintball eventually took over, was way more lucrative (look up how much those leagues go for).

The vandalism Adam referred to was probably the last straw as far as just anyone being able to come out and play.

I think that now only familiar faces are allowed out there, and those that do go will more than likely not see a resemblence to the course in its heyday.
Jay Dub
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:56:00 AM

I want to give an update since I described in April the condition of the course.

Bill and Midge have been doing a lot of work clearing out their land. One reason is because the state has told them to since they are a tree farm also. But they are paying attention to the course layout and doing what it takes to improve this course and get it back close to the status of a course worth paying to play. They both greatly enjoy disc golfers playing their course.

From what I saw yesterday I think the following is all that's needed to make this a fair 18 holes of golf.
Hole 4 needs an opening in the fairway, a few little trees removed will make a nice fairway for both long and short pin.
Hole 9 is open but one little tree that leans into the fairway can be trimmed back and this would be perfect.
Hole 11 needs a little clearing.
Hole 13 has a branch on the left of the fairway that if trimmed back would be all that's needed.
Hole 17 needs a teepad.
Hole 18 needs to be opened again although there is a tight RH hyzer shot over the steps, unfair to lefties.

Really not a lot, it's worth paying to play as is.

Call ahead to make sure the course is available and Midge knows you're coming. Midge and Bill are the ones to talk to about the course, Midge said her son is not interested in golf anymore and works 7 days a week so he stays pretty busy.
Jay Dub
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:24:21 PM

One more thing.
There are no tee signs or distance anywhere to be found. Take a course map if you can find one or play with some one who knows the course
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2011 9:15:54 AM

Update from Midge:

Cabin Creek course is available for open play weekdays.
We will waive the daily fee, if players will pick up limbs for a half hour.
That will only apply in the near future.   Just call 726-1048 or 594-3791 for permission.
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:35:08 AM

Update from Midge:

Cabin Creek course is open for play on most Sundays through August after 1:00.
Please call her before hand at 513-726-1048 home, or 513-594-3791 cell.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:03:47 AM

Re-post for Midge:

Cabin Creek is open for play all day this Sunday
Will be open after 1:00pm on Sundays the 21st and 28th.
As always please call first,numbers in above post.
Thank you
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:58:37 AM

Update from Midge Erkenbrecher:

The course will be available for play Thanksgiving and the day after for players not interested in one of the other events.   Also, starting Jan. 1, players will be able to pay an annual $25 fee for unlimited play weekdays and holidays. The usual rules will prevail (always call first.) The course will be closed January and February while we are in Texas.   Happy Holidays.
devilsfan.john
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 7:04:52 AM

Was able to play there last Sturday, course is in GREAT SHAPE, the Erkenbrechers have done a TON of work.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:23:17 AM

Per request by Midge, for this weekend:  Paintball is closed this weekend, and Saturday is supposed to be a nice day. If anyone would like to come out, call 726-1048 or cell 594-3791. $5 charge as always, or $25 for the season.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:25:18 PM

Update from Midge :  The course will be available Easter Sunday and probably Good Friday. As always players should call 726-1048 or 594-3791 or e-mail me in advance.

Thanks Midge and Bill.
sisyphus
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:26:42 PM

If anyone is interested in playing tomorrow (on Good Friday around 4pm), I'll call Midge (per Adam's suggestion) during the day tomorrow to see if it's OK. I've never been there or met the Erkenbrechers, so if anyone else has a history there, or wants to guide a newcomer to the course, I'd really appreciate it! Reply here or via PM. -Jeff A.
Jay Dub
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 8:05:19 AM

I was thinking about going up there today. Not sure what time.
Jeff, if you've never played the course you will need a guide. No tee signs or markers, besides tee pads, at all. :)