Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

best understable putter Options
nienaber
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 2:14:50 PM

any suggestions? i putt wizards and challengers but I think I could benefit from something a little less overstable.

I was poking around the internet and what i found was the Magic, APX, and Aviar were good understable putters but I would rather get some opinions...

L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 4:37:23 PM

APX Swirl...best ever....
topherb
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 5:50:37 PM

I throw Magic and Aviar also magnets warlocks and wizards
mikekem
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 8:36:10 PM

The question is kind like which is better, Pepsi, Coke, RC or Sam's best. Everyone is going to have a different opinion.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:12:57 AM

but opinion is what was asked for...i just want to know personal preference. you know good old fashioned american freedom of expression. Might as well let your opinions fly now because in a year or two we will only have gov't issued discs to throw
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:05:14 AM

L_Stephens wrote:

Too bad the mold got broken and they're not made anymore.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:41:37 AM

How much of a difference id there between APX swirl and soft APX
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:43:15 AM

Too bad I bought em all, hehehehe
Pick up a few different putters and try em out, and keep in mind what type of grip/feel you want and try the different types of plastic.
I have basically tried them all over the years, can putt with any of them, just prefer my swirls.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:26:25 AM

I have practiced with a lot and for awhile I loved flx challengers but in tournaments I was leaving them short. This all came about because I was trying out magnet and apxs and really liked how straight they went with minimal effort. So maybe a list of understable putters like those so I can try them would help. I googled this but it was not very helpful. And I respect your opinions that's why I started this thread
mikekem
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:35:07 PM

Magic's are great.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:39:05 AM

I use a Challenger now but, I'll show you my back-up Magnet at Gem City. Matt, hard Magnets super broken or beadless Aviars quite beat as well are quite good. Brand new Magics are very similar to these.
nienaber
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:59:38 AM

I have been trying soft magnets but I would like to try some hard magnets.
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:54:44 PM

I've tried a lot of putters over the years and have settled on Aviar Putt & Approachs. They're great for driving/approaching when new, and eventually get beat up enough to be understable enough for me to putt with them. They fly flat from release to the ground (or sometimes the basket). I hate overstable putters because I don't spin putt and therefore overstable putters will hit the ground with a skip/bounce/roll edge.
andersab
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:51:49 PM

Super Puppy
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:23:08 PM

nienaber wrote:
I have been trying soft magnets but I would like to try some hard magnets.

Ironic that the Soft Magnet is more stable than the Hard Magnet.   Suppy Puppy, oooohh, very nice!
Sweetriver
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 8:38:29 PM

i like the warlocks these days. They are beadless wizards. They don't fly the greatest, sort of clunky in the air, but they are reliable, good for putting and driving, and they come in hard to ridiculously soft. All around good putter. Clunky though
Blotz
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:55:38 PM

If you're specifically looking for understable putters (for ahneyzer approaches?) I thing the new Innova Dart looks promising. APX Swirlies are cool, but beware, they are notorious for rolling away.
nienaber
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 3:06:22 PM

for what it is worth (and most of it is probably just mental) but I hit about 40% more puts last weekend using a pro-d magnet inside 30ft and a evolution wizard outside 30...

thanks for all of your suggestions!
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 7:48:09 AM

bro, the pro-d magnet is sick....not an opinion(as far as understable goes). My putting style is a bit different than most, those that have seen it agree. i dont attack the basket, i lob/loft my putts, like over a bush between myself and the basket, to a fault i sometimes feel(when i miss). THIS IS NOT ABOUT GOOD PUTTING...im still in session on that subject. i will add more attack as i gain confidence(i see the need)! but This is about the magnets flight characteristics and the need for a plastic that ends exactly whr u aim it....AT THE BASKET. For me, whn i use a challenger for instance(not goofey overstable like a pig which i use for headwind putts) i have to calculate that last second fade if im 20 ft out. for someone with more attack to the basket they wont fade at 20, but maybe 30. none the less, its an extra peice of info. To me it would be like picking a dart that curves left just before hitting the board , so i aim JUST right? Again, i understand that speed keeps a disc out of its fade, release too......but blow-by was plagueing me whn i started and my comfort zone was 15 ft...(not your case i know). So i use the magnet...if it comes out straight it ends straight. EVEN AT 30-40FT. All i know is the thought,"how far right do i aim?" is not part of my dialogue. i shoot straight at the orange tape, always....everytime. I realize if i were a great putter that people would read this and move on....but since i am still working on my putting, someone(not u matt) will make the mistake of mis-reading this and think its about HOW I THINK MY PUTTING STYLE IS BETTER....or that its an ego trip of me obsessing on the magnet, like its the only straight flyer. We would all use 5 gallon bucket lids if we HAD to ....and find a way to make em stick. So, this is wht im saying....the magnet ends flat , even at slow speeds. try one
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 11:34:10 AM

What about the Elite X Focus that hit the markets recently, felt one in the hand and it felt really nice but didn't throw down on it....anyone try one yet? I have a friend that's been snatching up J/K aviars, not the new runs but the earlier versions..I've given those things a test run and in comparison to wizards or KC aviar's they're definatley less stable but they hold a perfect line with a tad less fade and sick glide, they have a real good grip/feel to them as well. I use to putt with an APX but it seems to be more impacted by the weakest of winds then other putters
cali
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:18:35 PM

I throw a Tank in the understable slot but those aren't easy to come by.
Erik
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:36:23 PM

cali wrote:
I throw a Tank in the understable slot but those aren't easy to come by.

I got 3 tanks if anyone wants to trade for them...
cali
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 10:37:19 PM

L_Stephens wrote:

Steve Orlando will vouch for this. He shot a -15 at Germantown using nothing but a Swirly a few weeks ago.

He can make that thing do ANYTHING inside of 200 feet.
Erik
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 5:02:23 PM

Got an APX swirl I don't need too... :)

My favorate putter is still the JK Aviar-X 5x without the flight numbers.  They are not as soft as the new 5x with the flight numbers or the old 3x and 4x versions.  But they still have a soft feel compared to a KC pro.  Great disc.