JTM
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 6:05:14 PM

A PDGA C-Tier Sanctioned Event
Saturday May 29, 2010
Rocky Fork State Park South Beach - Hillsboro, Ohio

Sponsors: Flywear Apparel

Registration now available: Online Entry  OR  Mail in Entry

Camping & Cabins available at Rocky Fork State Park

Player's Packs (Amateur Only): Custom stamped DX Leopard, DX Cobra, or DX Shark.

CTP round 1 all divisions - Custom stamped Pro Katana

All divisions will play 2 rounds of 18 holes.

No changing divisions on tournament day!

Field limited to 90 players.

Entry Fees/Divisions Offered:

Pro Open: $54
Pro Master: $44
Advanced: $34
Advanced Master: $29
Intermediate: $24
Recreational: $24

Schedule

Player check-in: 7:30am - 8:30am
Players meeting: 9:00am
Tee-Off round 1: 9:30am

Registration ends at 8:30am Tournament day.

*Note: PDGA members that are not current and Non-PDGA Members must pay the $10 non-member fee.

Mail in registrations will need to be postmarked by May 22, 2010. Online registration will end at 8pm May 28, 2010. Late entries will require a $5 late fee per player.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 6:15:10 PM

Would someone who played in this last year shoot me a PM with their feelings about this tournament. Its a long drive for me and I want to weight the pros and cons, Dx players pack not very exciting.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:39:12 PM

one week away and only 13 reg players, whats the deal?
kmaupin
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:12:07 PM

I am considering it but it is a holiday weekend.

Last year there was some issues with out of bounds and the interpretation. Has any one visited this course lately? How high is the field grass?
slg6218
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:35:42 PM

Last year I think it was the same weekend as another tournament, it was either Oxford or Turtlecreek Open, and I recall only about 36 people played. This year it is the same weekend as the Turtlecreek Open. In addition, it is a bit of a drive from just about everywhere. That said, some folks who played in it last year said they had a great time.
Holly W
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:01:29 PM

I really enjoyed the tournament last year, it was the week after turtlecreek open. I think the course is set up well for "scoring" if you can consistently throw a 250 ft midrange hyzer and a less than 300 ft forehand. Last year was the first time I stepped on the course and shot a 7 and 8 under, I think.... The tournament was ran very efficiently and we were home before 4:30 (very quick). I would not miss this event, however my cousin is graduating high school and it is during the graduation party. Not to mention turtlecreek open is the next day, so I will be kind of overwhelmed with my own tourney duties....
slg6218
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:08:01 PM

I thought about playing there on Saturday. The course was kind of fun, especially the woods holes. My question is what issues were there last year pertaining to out of bound rulings? The only real negative was the lack of distance on the tee markers. With all of the tall grass it is hard to get an accurate read just from looking.
kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:46:56 AM

slg6218 wrote:
I thought about playing there on Saturday. The course was kind of fun, especially the woods holes. My question is what issues were there last year pertaining to out of bound rulings? The only real negative was the lack of distance on the tee markers. With all of the tall grass it is hard to get an accurate read just from looking.

He didn't mark OB where there was a gravel road and it was left up to the group and there was some other interpretation that caused some trouble, it wasn't a deal breaker but if you were affected it would be a big deal.

The tall grass wasn't OB last year if I remember right but you don't want in the high grass!
JTM
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:57:32 PM

As of about 2 weeks ago the tall grass was cut. The OB in question was a circle drive that came into play. Anywhere in that circle will be OB.
As far as DX plastic.......well until the tournament gets a strong attendance that what it will be. This will only be the 3rd tournament on this course, one was a doubles, then Black Diamond last year and then this year.

Forecast: sunny and 82.

$5 will be added if not preregistered come Saturday morning (Registration has been up for 5 weeks). webmaster@chillicothediscgolf.com or 740-412-5286

Jeff
slg6218
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:24:00 PM

As of 2 days ago the grass was very tall and thick. It is a fun course, with the lake lurking just close enough to some holes to make you think. Having it on a holiday weekend, not to mention the same weekend as the Turtlecreek Open, makes it a tough choice. My wife will understand 1 tournament, but 2, she ain't buying it.
Moses
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 8:13:55 AM

i'm sorry for the way this post read prior to me rewriting it i'm glad we have local tournaments no matter what the player pack is. if i had the money i would play in all of these local tourneys

DanH
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 12:52:25 PM

It's just D plastic for the players pack. The awards payout is good plastic. How many times do you actually get a players pack disc that is something you throw anyways? Your entry fee is proportionally lower when you get a worse player pack, so use that money to buy that disc you want instead of hoping it will randomly come in some players pack some day. I don't understand why player packs are such a big deal.  There are so many more things to a tournament way more important that the "free" disc.   Rant over.
kmaupin
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:27:17 PM

DanH wrote:
It's just D plastic for the players pack. The awards payout is good plastic. How many times do you actually get a players pack disc that is something you throw anyways? Your entry fee is proportionally lower when you get a worse player pack, so use that money to buy that disc you want instead of hoping it will randomly come in some players pack some day. I don't understand why player packs are such a big deal.  There are so many more things to a tournament way more important that the "free" disc.   Rant over.

Dan,

I think the players pack is the ONLY thing 40 -50% of the amatuer players will get for coming to a tournament. The players pack is something all ams get and should be considered seriously when planning a tournament.  Payouts are very important also as they build the excitement for winning.

I think there are many variables that affect a tournament's success.

I think Holly uses an excellent system for his player pack disc(there are many others that do a fantastic job at this also) 
   Offer a variety of discs and people have chance to pick a color and weight they like.

Just my opinion.

Thanks!
Moses
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 3:20:23 PM

Hey kelly i can understand what dan is saying b/c my post before had prettymuch badtalked the black diamond tourney b/c of the players pack. yes i do agree completely with you but his response was b/c of what i had said about the two tourneys. Yes i do look the players pack to sweeten the pot for myself but we have to think about the guys who rarely to never cash, because the players pack is the only thing that they will get. And if its a local tournament than yeah it really doesnt matter but i will seriously think about that d plastic eagle for instance that i will never throw but look at holly's tourney where i can get a champion Max that i cant get anywhere else but is a vital part of my bag
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 3:23:20 PM

kmaupin wrote:

Dan,

I think the players pack is the ONLY thing 40 -50% of the amatuer players will get for coming to a tournament. The players pack is something all ams get and should be considered seriously when planning a tournament.  Payouts are very important also as they build the excitement for winning.

I think there are many variables that affect a tournament's success.

I think Holly uses an excellent system for his player pack disc(there are many others that do a fantastic job at this also) 
   Offer a variety of discs and people have chance to pick a color and weight they like.

Just my opinion.

Thanks!

Agreed,

There is a reason TD's like Holly, Dan B, and Paul Jay have tournaments that routinely fill to capacity.   They advertise their tournament, the players pack, and the word of mouth on good payouts lead to alot of players.  With roughly 60% or more being AM as a guess

The payouts were also not all discs last year.... 
StorminSteve
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:33:51 PM

Nati have you ever played in any of Jeff's tourneys ?? ( I beleive the answer is no ) Yes his players packs are not the best but his payouts for cashing are very good. Discs and throphys ! That is why it is called a tournament .If you don't like how a td runs his tourney then don't go but don't bash them cause you don't like the "free disc " you get. If you are only worried about the players pack then don't play and go buy your disc and save yourself some money.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:58:09 PM

Again not all Am players last year were awarded a DISC or a trophy when they cashed in a division. So the facts indicate your wrong Steve hopefully it was better this year and the tournament will grow.
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:55:35 PM

You must not have been at the Seal or Scream tourney then . ps thanks for the pm , I like being called a jackass
DanH
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:09:30 PM

Moses wrote:
but look at holly's tourney where i can get a champion Max that i cant get anywhere else but is a vital part of my bag

Ok, I see your point.  Tournaments that let you reserve a disc from a variety of molds including TFRs is cool.  Still, it's just a perk to me, not a deal breaker personally.  By the way though, ebay and www.discgolfvalues.com typically have a good selection of those TFR only type discs if you really need them for your bag.

And let's try to keep this civil guys.
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:25:40 PM

Go Blue!
Madmike
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:34:52 AM

If its that bad play open, then cash, then go to your nearest disc golf shop buy what you want or like dan said order it online
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 7:58:13 AM

I just wanted to say I enjoyed my second Black Diamond Open, Jeff and those that helped him including the park management had the park looking very nice. The CTP he did was cool, first round/First hole CTP, competing against just your card.

I want to make the following recommendations for those that plan to play here. Wear pants or whatever to protect your legs, looking for discs in waist high grass with thistle and other nasty stuff is not fun. If you have allergies, take some Benadryl or whatever because the prairie will be in bloom. For those that aren't scared of water, have a change of clothes if you happen to go in the lake after that one of a kind disc!

This course is really nice with the lake and the mix of open and wooded holes. It was a well run event, we went across 350 and that worked out well, but had to be weary of deer and cops!

Kelly
StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:05:44 PM

nono Not always great players packs but does other things to offset that lesser players pack. (better payouts , trophies and really good ctp's ). 1stplace dumb