Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Disc golf tournaments are gambling? Options
andersab
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 7:26:57 AM

http://columbusdiscgolf.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=420&p=3090#p3090

Here's the actual post for those that don't have an id...

just for information purposes. seems that marysville league has been shut down city says it is gambling. If no league will they allow the tourney that is scheduled there later this year. If they dont allow the tourney, we would like to extend our hands and support from bellefontaine to host that tourney if needed. Im the pres of the recently formed disc club in bell area the name is hi point hyzers. Please if someone has other info on the situation in marysville pls let me know.
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 8:40:40 AM

To me it seems like Marysville didn't like something about the weekly league to pick on it. I would say ace pools are definately gambling but come on, that is being a bit uptight.

As far as tournaments, that would not be gambling since you are paying an entry fee to compete. Could there be gambling at a tournament, yes, if people put money in for a chance to win something like a basket toss or ace fund.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 9:39:33 AM

Can't read the post because I don't have a login. Since the bulk of the payouts typically come from entry fees, then yes, you are betting on yourself to play well. You will either win or lose, cash or contribute.
NEngle
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 11:26:02 AM

Yes, tournaments are gambling. As long as entry fees are tied to payout it will remain that way.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 12:25:11 PM

Except for the Open divisions, it is not gambling, sorry.
GStrick
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 2:36:14 PM

That's pretty funny. Gambling winnings are taxable, hence you can deduct gambling losses if you itemize your taxes. Since I've been loosing for a while, looks like I just found a way to make this hobby a little cheaper!!!

Please consult a qualified tax professional before you act on the above statement.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 3:19:09 PM

Every decision we make in life is a gamble, WTH Marysville. I say run the leagues anyway and see what happens. This could hit the prime time and if they try to stop ya, they would have to stop any community sport. No way they can do that.
andersab
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 7:29:57 PM

Definition of gambling: to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance... Any disc golf tournament is definitely gambling.

What's cooler, is that the disc golf sport, recognizes gamblers in its hall of fame... Take that MLB!  Vote Rose in!
jpaul6
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 8:46:34 PM

Here's a bit out of the O.R.C...
Basically, they are saying that if you take a substantial profit from these dgolf tournaments, then it is gambling.

"...no person shall..." nono 
"2) Establish, promote, or operate or knowingly engage in conduct that facilitates any game of chance conducted for profit or any scheme of chance;"

"(4) Engage in betting or in playing any scheme or game of chance as a substantial source of income or livelihood;"

Basically, they are saying that if you take a substantial profit from these dgolf tournaments, then it is gambling.  It sounds like a few folks in Marysville have a hidden reason...how much can one really make off this.  I think the organizer should make a few bucks for their trouble.

archmike
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:41:21 PM

also the definition of "game of chance"

A game, usually played for money or stakes, in which the winner is determined by a chance event, as by drawing numbers or throwing dice.

...now i know that MY throws involve a good deal of "chance" but it seems kinda silly that anyone would consider it gambling...if it were the case, then the Memorial in Dublin PGA tour event would also be gambling
cyrusf1
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:07:58 PM

When I play, its not a gamble, its a sure thing!  laugh

Madmike
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:20:37 PM

Thats not what she said cyrus!!!
DiscHead
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:40:23 PM

Disc is a game of skill...not chance. Unlike; say for instance, Poker.
In poker you could be dealt the best hand possible, and beat the best
player in the world...due to no skill of your own. Purely by the luck of the draw.

One South Carolina judged has even ruled poker to be a game of skill and not chance!
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090220/1744023851.shtml
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:43:53 PM

Thank you, DH. IT IS NOT GAMBLING! Wanna bet?