Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

New Course Challenge Results Pages Options
DanH
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:38:54 AM

I recoded all the Course Challenge Series results pages.  There are three major changes:
  1. I did away with  the "Individual Averages & Ratings" feature.  Since we often change the course or add temp holes as needed, the course rating, player average, and player rating stats were all rather meaningless.  Maybe this will be revamped someday to resemble the PDGA ratings system, or maybe ratings are evil, and it will not.  TBD.
  2. I have added a "Player History" feature.  Choose a player, and it will list all their tournament scores and how they placed.
  3. idea I added a feature called "Compare Rivals".  Choose two players, and it will show you all the tournaments that they both played at, and how their scores compared to each other, regardless of division.  If you always wondered who is winning the epic rivalary between Ken Donathon and Gary Pettigrew, go find out now!
Also, on the "Player History" and "Tournament Results" pages,  tournaments and names are clickable links so you can explore around the results a little easier. 

And just for a random stat, here are the top 5 people that have played the most tournaments excluding DNFs.
Mahl    Steve    122
Eades    Jeff    120
Gambrell    Fishnet Dave    120
Marlow    David A.    108
Caldwell    Pete    100

Just click on the "Results" link to view the new stuff.  Report bugs or things that need tweaking on this thread.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:36:31 AM

Fancy! Nice work Dan. Pettigrew you've got work to do!
kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:55:14 AM

Nice work Dan! Pretty slick!
perica
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:00:49 AM

That is pretty cool - 2 comments:

Firefox will not display the results but IE will ... not sure about Safari.
Is there any way to export the data as a text tab-delimited or some other friendly file format?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:30:26 AM

perica wrote:
That is pretty cool - 2 comments: Firefox will not display the results but IE will ... not sure about Safari. Is there any way to export the data as a text tab-delimited or some other friendly file format?

It's looking good in Firefox for me, that's what I use primarily.  What exactly goes wrong for you in Firefox?  It also works in IE and Chrome for me.  As for Safari, someone please test that and let me know.  I will not install anything Apple on my machine if I can help it.

For exporting to a friendly file format, is there something specific you are trying to do that I should add as a feature instead?  Which page of data would you like to export?  For now, the easiest thing to do would probably just be highlight/copy, then in Excel, pick "Paste Special", and choose "HTML".  It will sort the data into rows and columns for you at least.
perica
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:00:03 PM

Maybe it's something unique to my firefox settings.  The results will show at the top but nothing below the first or second line.

As for the data, I was curious about scoring distributions (dorky statistics stuff) and was hoping that I could just grab the whole dataset instead of going through every course challenge and pasting them into excel.
DanH
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:47:17 PM

It uses an IFrame to show that stuff and some javascript to adjust the height of the IFrame to the page it is showing. Sounds like the javascript is not adjusting the height correctly for you. Maybe a setting or some extension is interfering?

Is anyone else having this problem? Shout out if so.

I can put the data into a flat file for you if that's what you want.

kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:01:43 PM

DanH wrote:
It uses an IFrame to show that stuff and some javascript to adjust the height of the IFrame to the page it is showing. Sounds like the javascript is not adjusting the height correctly for you. Maybe a setting or some extension is interfering? Is anyone else having this problem? Shout out if so. I can put the data into a flat file for you if that's what you want.

I tested it on IE, Safari and Firefox and all looked fine to me.
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:44:25 PM

Gets all squishy with me as well...the iFrame won't expand. I do have javascript enabled on FireFox 3.6...but I have Adblock Plus installed but that usually doesn't do anything with javascript...unless it is the adblock plus element helper doing it.
Bryan
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:23:30 PM

It works fine with Safari. I didn't have any issues.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:14:43 AM

same here, just see first 2 inches down and thats it.
DanH
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 10:29:00 AM

For those that only see the first 2 inches, check your URL. Is it missing the www before cincinnatidiscgolf.com?

That's the only way I have been able to reproduce it. I think I can come up with a fix if that is it.

perica
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 11:21:23 AM

Wow, who would have thought that would fix it -- but it did. Nice sleuthing, Dan.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:33:49 AM

Excellent work, Dan! Finally, an easy way to look at and compare past results. I especially like the rival comparison tool. A couple of things that may or may not be fixable (or worth your time), but would be really nice...some of the old CCS events had a final 9, which throws off the score comparisons - the 2 rounds are listed, but the total includes the final 9, which changes the rankings. It appears that only recent players (those who've had their scores entered with the website scoring application) are able to be compared. Therefore, the players who haven't competed in a while, like Mark Holland, aren't queriable. For us old players, that would be a great improvement.

Awesome toy, though. Makes browsing old results a lot of fun!
DanH
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:10:26 AM

I'll look into the final 9 scoring thing. The app is designed to accommodate any number of rounds per tourney, so it might work out. As for the player results and rival comparisons, I did limit the player list to only players that have played the last 6 years to keep it more manageable, but I see your point. I'll add an option to show everyone.
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:45:17 AM

Ok, I added an option to view player stats from all of history, but it now defaults to the last 2 years.  As for CCS events with final 9's, I only found 3 tournaments, all of which were in 1996, that had evidence of this.  And I've decided I can live with myself if I just ignore it.

And Pete, you better hope Mark Holland doesn't start playing again because he has a long history of kicking your butt according to the rivalry search laugh
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:52:15 AM

Let the smack talk BEGIN!!!!!
2Timer
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:58:34 AM

Top 5 winning percentages in CC history (Open division)(Minimum 10 CC)
1. Mark Holland 70%
2. David Cox 38%
3. Stilgenbauer 30%
4. Vandemark 24%
5. Matt Blakely 21%

MOST WINS IN OPEN DIVISION HISTORY
1. Mark Holland 26/37
2. Stilgenbauer 23/77
3. Caldwell 17/100
4. David Cox 15/40
5. Matt Blakely 12/58
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:05:10 AM

70% ...that's pretty sick.
DWright
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:50:39 PM

Mark was smooth. I enjoyed watching him throw.
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:02:53 PM

Did he just get bored of winning, and quit?
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:50:30 PM

I heard he started running marathons.
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:50:49 PM

He quit one day and started running 10k's and marathons. I think he did it because with his 2 kids his wife didn't want him playing tournaments and being away all day. He could go running in an hour or so. I haven't seen him at any of the recent road races, so I don't know what he's been doing for the last few years. He was good, though.

I didn't know I had a 100 course challenges under my belt!
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:35:29 PM

I see.  Well, maybe I'll run into him on the marathon circuit then.  Looks like the last one he ran was in 2008: results.

Marathon training does take about as much time as disc golf training, but obviously the actual disc golf tournaments are the time killers.  That is why I propose we add a new division called "Run & Gun".  It will tee off at 8:00 AM.  Play 2 rounds using only 2 discs with a 30 minute time limit on each round.  The Run & Gun division will be done with their tourney and awards before everyone else even tees off. 

2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:47:28 AM

pcaldwell wrote:
He quit one day and started running 10k's and marathons. I think he did it because with his 2 kids his wife didn't want him playing tournaments and being away all day. He could go running in an hour or so. I haven't seen him at any of the recent road races, so I don't know what he's been doing for the last few years. He was good, though. I didn't know I had a 100 course challenges under my belt!

And 83 losses!!!!!!!!